PDA

View Full Version : EC225 Ops Question

Cleared-HOT
11th Jan 2013, 12:34
Morning All,

Quick question. Are there any EC225s operating in offshore currently around the world or are they all grounded. So far I know UK, Malaysia, GOM are all suspended.

Anyone know about the ones in Brasil etc.

Thanks.

CH

rotortorque
11th Jan 2013, 13:19
All grounded in Australia.

HFM
11th Jan 2013, 13:20
They are grounded here in Brasil as well.

Tango123
11th Jan 2013, 20:40
Grounded in Norway (not SAR)
Grounded in Denmark

AS332L1
11th Jan 2013, 21:25
Grounded in USA (except for training)

industry insider
11th Jan 2013, 21:31
The grounding in Australia is voluntary by Bristow and CHC, there is no mandatory grounding in force.

eivissa
12th Jan 2013, 03:16
Same for Denmark, just voluntary grounding by the operators.

Pittsextra
12th Jan 2013, 06:50
Im not sure what message a voluntary grounding says about either the manufacturer or the various authorities in those territories.

Special 25
12th Jan 2013, 07:46
I think it probably says more about the risk of litigation and fear of the lawyers. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one signing off the aircraft to fly when other countries have grounded it, although I'd be happy to fly in it myself

Pittsextra
12th Jan 2013, 08:16
It can't be litigation if the manufacturer hasn't grounded the type or the authority in your territory. Although im sure the pre-conditions to flying it have made it more hassle than it's worth.

Although saying you'd fly in the EC225 - on what basis are you making that statement when you also say you'd not sign off the aircraft?

Special 25
12th Jan 2013, 10:41
Again, just fear of the legal system.

Yes,I'd be happy to fly the aircraft. It has proven itself well over its years of operation. This fault seems to be isolated to certain conditions. Even then, it has historically shown tell-tale signs with plenty enough warning to do something about it.

But with our clients, if there was an issue, it would be difficult to justify why we were flying it commercially, if we were aware that it had been grounded in half a dozen other jurisdictions.

FalkoB
12th Jan 2013, 11:21
Are all grounded ec225 drivers still getting paid ?

industry insider
12th Jan 2013, 12:28
Pitts

It says that Australia's CASA has not grounded the EC225. Operators are declining to fly it notwithstanding the OEM saying it is safe to do so with additional mitigating measures.

So, the grounding by operators is therefore voluntary which means contractually, that they don't necessarily have to be paid for contracted EC225s.

Tango123
12th Jan 2013, 13:27
In basic, if the operators decline to fly with the 225 , not being grounded by the caa or by the helicopter operators (chc, bristow, bond ....) the oil compagnys still are paying the standing fee, which I guess would be around half a mill £/month.

Brilliant Stuff
12th Jan 2013, 15:08
I hear CHC's 225 drivers have been converted to the L2s which is rather busy flying...

industry insider
13th Jan 2013, 01:52
Tango....not quite right

The oil companies are usually (in most contracts) required to pay when the grounding is statutory either by the Regulator or the OEM.

In the case of the UK and Norway, it is clear, the oil companies will continue to pay because the grounding is statutory, although since it has been so long, they maybe able to use other termination provisions.

In other places, it is clear the other way, there is no regulatory grounding and no OEM grounding. Contractually therefore, no payment is due. There are many other peripheral issues which will probably make the actual outcome a "negotiation" (replacement aircraft, allocation of crew etc.) with part payment.

DauphinDude
13th Jan 2013, 07:38
Citic offshore China - Not grounded.
Southern Vietnam Heli - Not grounded.

Those are the only ones not grounded afaik.

Oldlae
13th Jan 2013, 08:36
IMO the operators have grounded the 225 because they need to retain customer confidence.

Shadok
10th Mar 2013, 09:52
China Southern still operate 1 225 to service instillation's in the South China sea. They now have a 3rd man with a laptop on the crew, all Chinese, sitting in seat 1, inspires me with confidence.