PDA

View Full Version : Initial European Class 3 medical.....HELP!

alex1980
11th Jan 2013, 09:15
Hi PPruners!

I am a student ATCO who started my ADV/ADI course in October 2012. I went for my medical exam in November but unfortunately failed on the hearing requirements part. I had another examination yesterday but again was unsuccessful.

The part I was out on was as follows:

Right ear : Had 40db on medium frequency (500, 1000 and 2000 hz). I understand to pass you need to have 20db in this band.

I really want to be an ATCO and continue with my course but I can't if I don't have my medical. Please, if anyone could give me any advice on what to do I would be most grateful. Is there anywhere I can go in Europe where my hearing level would be acceptable for the Class 3 or are the rules and regulations the same for the whole of Europe? Also, if I had a medical from a country outside Europe, would it be valid here in Spain?

I'm really desperate to follow my dream but if it is impossible, then I would accept that.

Any help at all in my situation would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

homonculus
11th Jan 2013, 18:02
Ask your family doctor to examine you and if need be refer you to an ENT surgeon to find out WHY

It might even be something as simple as a blocked ear canal, but don't get your hopes up too soon

If not I suspect you will be unlucky

Good luck

alex1980
11th Jan 2013, 22:39
Hello Homoculus!
Thank u so much for your reply, but unfortunately there wasnt any obstruction in the ear canals.
Greetings!!!

homonculus
12th Jan 2013, 12:40
Most AMEs look cursorily in the canal to ensure it isnt full of wax. If this is what you are relying on ask for an ENT opinion. Looking in the ear for a second is not an ENT examination. you may have obstruction to sound for other reasons, or other pathology that can be managed or resolved.

It would be sad to have your career ambitions dashed from ignorance. Deafness happens for a reason!

Good luck