PDA

View Full Version : Flight Radar

toptobottom
10th Jan 2013, 19:36
Not sure if this has surfaced on here before and it's hardly private flying, but I thought you'd be interested in this (http://www.flightradar24.com/). It'a realtime map of all commercial traffic worldwide. You can zoom into your own location and click on any aircraft to get its full details - even squawk. Fascinating (at least for 3 minutes..)

:ok:

TOWTEAMBASE
10th Jan 2013, 20:34
Not quite everywhere, there are parts of the globe that have no receivers and the aircraft disappears until the next receiver ie crossing the pond

toptobottom
10th Jan 2013, 21:07
Towteam

Really sorry about that; I feel dreadful now :(

Hotel Tango
10th Jan 2013, 21:10
toptobottom this application is already well known and very often refered to in this forum. Just look at the number of A7700 threads!

toptobottom
10th Jan 2013, 21:13
I did say I wasn't sure if it had been put up before, so before I throw myself off a bridge, please ignore it if you've already seen it!!

Good grief.

TOWTEAMBASE
10th Jan 2013, 21:33
Not to worry TTB, you've obviously had a life up till now unlike some on here haha ;-)

toptobottom
10th Jan 2013, 21:37
I've just been reminded why I don't come to this forum that often..!! :ok:

srobarts
10th Jan 2013, 22:10
Toptobottom, it really is quite simple: use the search facility before you post.
If you had you would have found 187 threads included flightradar24 as did 301 posts spread across those threads. If you follow that you will find you can visit regularly without fear....
Some people here have asbestos clothes, others do a sense check to avoid being flamed.

DaveReidUK
10th Jan 2013, 22:14
Don't take it to heart.

It's not your fault you've been taken in by the hype :-)

Notwithstanding the claims that are made by the operators of FlightRadar24 and other similar sites, they are dependent on enthusiasts with receivers picking up navigational transmissions from aircraft.

If the aircraft aren't sending the required transmissions (and many don't) or if they are but there is no enthusiast with a receiver within range to pick them up, then the flight will effectively be invisible.

That's why the "all commercial traffic worldwide" raised a smile, so to speak. I'm sure no offence was intended.

Hotel Tango
10th Jan 2013, 22:15
Why are you getting so upset? You said you weren't sure so we gave you the answer. Were we rude to you? Was there any malice in our posts?

Well now that you've decided to get arsey, next time try a little research using the search feature!

toptobottom
11th Jan 2013, 07:53
srobarts - you've got too much time on your hands my friend

DaveReidUK - thanks for that, I've learned something (I must live next door to you)

HotelTango - I'm not upset; I couldn't give two hoots!! :}

I don't know much about planks. I just thought it might be interesting for you guys. If you're not interested, please feel free to ignore it - simples!! Calculating the number of previous posts and then writing it all down - HILARIOUS!!

Now, enough of all this nonsense; I've got a helicopter to fly...

Hotel Tango
11th Jan 2013, 14:20
:ok: Well jolly good for you. Bye bye then....

srobarts
11th Jan 2013, 14:37
you've got too much time on your hands my friend well finding the info I posted took 10sec

Calculating the number of previous posts and then writing it all down - HILARIOUS!! actually thinking I counted them - priceless

I learned to work smarter many moons ago.

Bye bye toptobottom

DIBO
11th Jan 2013, 18:23
I've got a helicopter to fly...

whooow that's cool; what type u'r flying; this (http://www.xheli.com/) is mine.......NOT

tomtytom
17th Jan 2013, 19:02
Im looking at buying a share of a cessna which is fitted with a mode s transponder and comes up on flight radar as privately owned. Means the girl friend and my parents will be able to keep track of where i am :)

DaveReidUK
17th Jan 2013, 22:26
Im looking at buying a share of a cessna which is fitted with a mode s transponder and comes up on flight radar as privately owned. Means the girl friend and my parents will be able to keep track of where i amYou could always turn it off - the GPS feed, I mean, not the transponder itself.

Then you'd be invisible. :)