PDA

View Full Version : JAA MEIR Renewal New York area

flyboy1818
10th Jan 2013, 17:12
Does anyone know of a flight school where I can renew a JAA (EASA ) ME IR within reasonable driving distance of New York?

I have to do the renewal in an Aircraft this year, I trained for the IR on the DA42. I know it can be renewed in Florida, but I would rather avoid the this if possible .

AlexanderH
12th Jan 2013, 09:47
Revalidation/renewal has to be done in an EASE/JAA country.

I have the same issue as I will be moving to Asia in a few months and need to revalidate my MEIR beforehand.

BillieBob
12th Jan 2013, 10:13
Revalidation/renewal has to be done in an EASE/JAA countryNo, it doesn't. Initial has to be done in EU airspace but revalidation/renewal can be done anywhere. However, you will be lucky to find an IRE anywhere near NY.

Trolle
12th Jan 2013, 10:51
No, it doesn't. Initial has to be done in EU airspace but revalidation/renewal can be done anywhere.

This is the same info I got from the CAA when I called them.

And I had the same problem finding someone on the West coast to do a revalidation. Still haven't found anyone. I think I read somewhere that the CAA has not appointed people who can do revalidations outside the EU; although who knows why they are so hard to find.

I decided to let my IR lapse and I'll just revalidate a few months later when I return to the EU.

I did find a few places that will do a SEP revalidation though; that is the one you don't want to let lapse.

beerdrinker
12th Jan 2013, 12:05
A question about Class and IR renewals/revalidations.

I understand that a Class Rating (MEP/SEP) has to be renewed before 4 years have elapsed since last renewed/revalidated or it will lapse totally requiring another Initial.

But is it true that an IR still lasts 7 years?

BigGrecian
12th Jan 2013, 13:21
I think I read somewhere that the CAA has not appointed people who can do revalidations outside the EU; although who knows why they are so hard to find.

It's not that the CAA appoint - it's a capitalist market - so if an examiner applies for the IRE, is qualified, can pass the course etc and can justify the cost of maintaining it outside an EU state then it happens. Problem is that the costs of maintaing such a qualification are high.

There is definitely one in Florida and possibly one in Arizona.

Trolle
12th Jan 2013, 17:52
Sounds more reasonable what BigGrecian says :ok:

possibly one in Arizona

I was given a lead with a name, which I no longer recall, who was in Arizona but after a few phone calls to the airport he was based at (Scottsdale, I think) I had no luck.

Becketts
12th Jan 2013, 20:16
As I understand there are only two examiners that can do an MEIR renewal in the USA - Mr Paul Thompson and Mr Stephen Fisher - both located in FL. I have the contact details for the former, if you're interested. I was told by a flight school in Cali that the examiner in Arizona (Name escapes me, but he does some work out of Phoenix and Cali) cannot do MEIR renewals - never spoke to the guy directly though.

I have a friend who did his IR on the DA42 but renewed in FL on a BE76 - he told me the transition from glass to the six pack wasn't as difficult as he thought, so don't be put off by it.

Depending on how long it's been since it expired (if at all) you will need a certificate/letter from an approved training organisation stating what retraining will be required, if any, as per EASA recommendations.

AlexanderH
13th Jan 2013, 00:51
I stand corrected.

I might add that I struggled to find a place to revalidate my MEP IR in Asia though.

cessna310
16th Jan 2013, 20:35
Hi

I had revalidated MEIR on July 2008.when 5 years expiry apply? Is it from date of validation or from date of expiry(expired July 2009).thanks for clearing me on this.

Regards
Cessna310