PDA

View Full Version : Advice on becoming a pilot!

FuturePilot97
9th Jan 2013, 20:51
I'm 15 years old, nearly 16, and only have 2 (!!) hours( please don't slate me as I know this is very low) and REALLY want to become a pilot. Before I continue I do know that the current chance of becoming a pilot is very low, however in about 8/9 (which is round about when i will have my licenses) years the industry should become better. I plan on going to university, then getting a 'normal job' while I pay for training. I am just looking for any advice or stories you may have. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Finally, before you start hating I would like to say that I do know that it is difficult to become a pilot, but I am more than 100% determined. Thanks ;) p.s I am also looking to get work experience at a flight school near me. I hope this is the right thread because it is my first post :/

gordonquinn
10th Jan 2013, 12:26
Not sure if someone has already PM'd you mate, but the answers to your questions are already within the forum. There's a search bar up top, you'll find loads of stuff on what licenses you need, costs, job market and more.

RTN11
10th Jan 2013, 12:38
Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't be surprised to see this thread closed before too long, as this sort of post comes along time and time again, and there is a search function at the top to help you.

You haven't really asked any specific questions, but in response to one of the few things you've said, who knows what the industry will be in 8-9 years. Who even knows what will happen this year, this industry is a complete lottery it seems. Many of us started training in good times, and when we qualified then struggled to get jobs, others seem to start in bad times but then walk straight into a job as soon as they qualify, so it's hard to give a good answer on when to start training.

Good luck, and keep researching. :ok:

Darth_Bovine
10th Jan 2013, 14:40
Hey,

My advice: work hard at school and get that "normal job" (preferably very well paid!) first as you say in your post. That way you can start to save towards your ATPL (professional pilots license).

It's hard work, but if it's what you want to do then stay focused on your goal and do what it takes.

Good luck.

ARNSpoty
10th Jan 2013, 15:18
Hard work at school, get some working experience and then apply to cadet programs. Financing your license is very, very last choice.

Good luck bud:ok:

taxistaxing
10th Jan 2013, 15:32
Hard work at school, get some working experience and then apply to cadet programs. Financing your license is very, very last choice.

All the recent cadet programmes are candidate funded, though. Even the BA scheme, where BA guarantees bank loans for candidates (subject to credit checks), requires candidates to repay the funding once employed, so still self funded.

Not sure there's any such thing as truly 'free' training anymore. Maybe in the military. Even then you still have to convert to a UK commercial license once you leave, although I think they provide assistance with this.

Getting a decent backup career going is definitely a sensible approach. Then do a PPL and take it from there. That's what I'm doing :ok:.

fantom
10th Jan 2013, 16:33
Join the Royal Air Force.