PDA

View Full Version : Rebels shoot down helicopter?

mickjoebill
9th Jan 2013, 13:20
Is this fake? The pilot does not appear to take avoiding action?

Syria, Homs - Helicopter shot Down in Idlib (8/Jan/20132) - YouTube

SASless
9th Jan 2013, 13:32
If Allah wills old chap!:E

hihover
9th Jan 2013, 13:38
There is every chance he was not aware that he was being shot at (very badly). Unless the crew saw the splashes of dirt on the ground or the muzzle flash they probably hadn't a clue otherwise I am sure they would have dropped into the dead ground.

It also wasn't obvious that the helicopter was hit, just smoke rising from where it descended, so, I don't know, it could well be a fake.

Tam

Lonewolf_50
9th Jan 2013, 13:44
The fire is behind a building, the helicopter finally disappeared below the ridge/intervisibility line behind open terrain, not the previous building.

Not sure what is on fire. Fuel tank near the building? Helicopter?

Who knows?

Dg800
9th Jan 2013, 13:46
It also wasn't obvious that the helicopter was hit, just smoke rising from where it descended, so, I don't know, it could well be a fake.

Or the smoke could come from the helicopter's primary target being successfully destroyed by the same and the rebels genuinely believe it's the other way around? :ugh:

Lonewolf_50
9th Jan 2013, 14:51
OK, there seems to be a change in camera position somewhere around time 1:50, so that the building that the helicopter passed is now more in line with what may be an unseen helicopter on fire.

Difficult analysis to do since one isn't all that sure where the camera is relative to gun and helo the whole way. There is some editing, I think, or some on/off?