PDA

View Full Version : St Barts Crash

lpatrick
8th Jan 2013, 11:15
Am surprised nobody has reported the crash in St Barts which occurred a few days ago. Apparently numerous fatalities in a crash - probably a runway over-run involving a Caribbean Airlines plane. It looks as though the authorities there put press restrictions on the event in view of their V.I.P. visitors this time of year.

Kulverstukas
8th Jan 2013, 11:22
St Barts plane crash: Light aircraft goes down on island where Simon Cowell and co are taking winter vacation | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257394/St-Barts-plane-crash-Light-aircraft-goes-island-Simon-Cowell-taking-winter-vacation.html)

Huck
8th Jan 2013, 11:54
Only the best pilots attempt landing at St Barts

......really?.....

TowerDog
8th Jan 2013, 11:57
Must have been bad weather if somebody actually flew into the hill.

St. Barths is strictly VFR and special training is needed.

I flew Aztecs and C-402s in there some years ago and it could get a bit hairy if the runway was wet or if one did not pay attention.

No mention in the news on what type airplane, charter, private, scheduled..?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Jan 2013, 12:27
Daily Fail: 5,500m standard international runway length :ugh::ugh:

They just don't care, do they?

Please can we post links to journalists that do, otherwise we are only encouraging them.

pattern_is_full
8th Jan 2013, 16:26
St. Barts approaches do give a whole new meaning to the phrase "join the traffic pattern."

St Barts airport landing - YouTube

Terrain requires a steepish approach, the runway runs downhill, and is not overlong. The usual accident scenario is an overrun, as lpatrick notes.

I haven't landed at TFFJ myself, but have flown into TJCP on Puerto Rico's Culebra Island. A similar but much less extreme approach through a "saddle" between higher hills, and the high ground either side can cause low-level turbulence on short final.

Also, if one becomes used to the prevailing easterly trade breezes, the occasional change in wind direction can mess with one's "picture" of how the approach should go.

Richard Westnot
8th Jan 2013, 17:15
Condolences to the families.

I landed there 6 years ago and it was quite challenging for a C182.

I know of at least 3 other accidents, but here is another one recorded.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=st%20barts%20air%20crash&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-z2o0acIlm4&ei=WWDsUNXPOJKo0AWRgoGADg&usg=AFQjCNGb1AX1cySR_zPd5A7R1nnYZrn-RQ

Sir George Cayley
8th Jan 2013, 20:45
This is a first, me defending celebs on holiday:ooh:

Wonder how many people fell off rented mopeds last week - near to where xxxx and his plastic gf were staying?

SGC

DavidWoodward
9th Jan 2013, 22:07
Here's a fantastic comment from the Daily Mail story.

This airport was on Worlds Scariest landings on Quest the other day. Apparently on approach its an almost vertical decent then a very short runway to try and stop on.
- Terry , Formby, 05/1/2013 10:17