PDA

View Full Version : RAAF Assessment Session Questions!?

pilot275
8th Jan 2013, 09:37
Hey everyone, As you can see I'm new to the forums, and I am searching for some info/answers - I came across the forums when doing some research into the specific duties of Pilot in the RAAF.

I have an assessment session/job interview in one week time. I know the planes, bases, and training involved for an Officer Pilot, however I cant seem to find much detail or information of the main functions/duties of a Pilot in the RAAF.

Obviously flying and training is a significant part of the job, however what are the major roles/secondary duties of being an Officer Pilot, and the potential operating environments?

I've also come across the term "combat role" and in one of the documents I have been given, I am supposed to understand 'How is the combat role related to this?' It may seem like a dodgy question to be asking this close, but I think there is a specific answer?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and any other tips, suggestions, or resources would be great!

*I'm not too worried about OSB at the moment, just information to impress my interviewer!!

herkman
8th Jan 2013, 10:36
Allow me to give you a steer or two.

The Air Force is not really looking for pilots first, they are readily available, but what they are looking for is leadership material. If all you want to do is fly, then do not give any inclination that is what you are looking for.

To be an officer you must have a university education.

But you must be able to lead and others will want to follow you.

If you read the whole section that deals with training ( I know there is a book full of it here ) but it will stand you instead.

You also need be team player and that will be a feather in your cap too.

Hope I have headed you off in the right direction.

Regards and every best wish

Col

Like This - Do That
8th Jan 2013, 10:54
LOL beat me to it Col, thanks

RAAF flight screening program (merged) (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/333897-raaf-flight-screening-program-merged.html)

Aroundawhile
8th Jan 2013, 11:52
You do not need a university degree to be a pilot.

You absolutely do not need one to be an officer.

However, in tight times as these, the people you're competing against most likely have some degree of higher education and life experience.

You do however, need common sense, confidence and a spine, without being a to$$er. A desire to fly and a strong work ethic will combine well to give you a crack at it.

pilot275
8th Jan 2013, 12:22
Thanks everyone for the replies so far!

Im only beginning Year 12 this year, and my entry preference is through ADFA, so having a uni degree is not really in the picture, however I do realise grades are therefore important (but I also realise other factors, such as the aforementioned leadership capabilities are just as imporant), and Im achieving A's across all my six subjects.

@LikeThis wow! that thread is amazing and ive only skimmed through it in a couple of hours, just searching for relevant info about the Assessment Session, not much I didnt already know, but thank-you for the link!!