PDA

View Full Version : Cranbrook Maneuver, anybody ?

leonard17F
8th Jan 2013, 05:49
Hello Gentlemen,

Is there someone who knows what is a "Cranbrook Maneuver" precisely please?
Does it have anything to do with mountain flying and maneuvering in a valley ?
Or does it have something to do with Engine failure and uncontrolled thrust ?
Is there any specific requirement ?
Thanks a lot as always!
Leonard

Daifly
8th Jan 2013, 07:45
https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/664/664.F2d.205.79-3404.html

Something to do with reverser failure to stow on a go-around whilst on the runway in the landing phase (not sure it's technically a go-around at that point, but you get my drift...)?

NuName
8th Jan 2013, 12:12
Can't imagine how you would get to the point of TR deployment and then think its a good idea to go again. :ugh:

Mizuno boy
8th Jan 2013, 12:26
PWA 737, February 1978
On landing in Cranbrook B.C. with T/R's out crew spotted a snowplow on runway and attemted to abort the landing. T/R's did not stow properly and aircraft crashed.
Contributing factors, ATC was given inproper estimate time for the airport arrival and crew missed a call at the FAF.

Trim Stab
8th Jan 2013, 13:45
Can't imagine how you would get to the point of TR deployment and then think its a good idea to go again.

How about if you suddenly find a large snow plough in the middle of the runway ?

That is what happened to the Cranbrook crew. I guess faced with a choice between certain death or undertaking a very dangerous manoeuvre that might just come off, they chose the latter.

mutt
8th Jan 2013, 14:09
Can't imagine how you would get to the point of TR deployment and then think its a good idea to go again. There is a report in todays flight international about a Chinese B777 that did exactly that!

Apart from a couple of tail strikes, they lived to tell the tail.

Mutt

Dg800
8th Jan 2013, 14:22
Apart from a couple of tail strikes, they lived to tell the tail.Freudian slip? :ok:

Personally, I'm only familiar with the Heimlich maneuver. :E

CL300
8th Jan 2013, 16:54
you are talking about this one ?

Super Sexy CPR - Abdominal Thrusts - YouTube

Left Coaster
9th Jan 2013, 03:39
Hiya MB...add to that which you wrote is the attempt by the FO to reach behind to find the Hyd Shut Off flight control valves (maintenance only switches) and pushing a boot full of rudder in as well, which added a bunch of roll moment...it was a ****ty day all around. Have a good one.
LC

NuName
9th Jan 2013, 04:45
Well that answered me didn't it, can't imagine making an approach, touching down, deploying TRs and seeing a snow plough in front of me. Let alone operating a 777 and ATC have cleared me to land and I have to go from TRs, decelerating on the runway to a departure. And I thought I had been around a bit, I'm just a newbe.

Dg800
9th Jan 2013, 13:30
you are talking about this one ?

With my luck, it's probably going to look more like this

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6848772096/h4D5C54B6/

Mike Oxbig
10th Jan 2013, 10:46
Now we are getting into the realms of a shaggy dog story.........

:O Sorry, couldn't resist it!

leonard17F
12th Jan 2013, 13:30
Thanks a lot Gentlemen for the initial useful replies ! (as well as for the latter and more funny ones!!)