PDA

View Full Version : From CES in LAS

PAXboy
7th Jan 2013, 23:36
The annual Consumer Electronics Show is just starting and I see a promotion of this device. (middle of the page) BBC News - Intelligent cutlery and other innovations from CES (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20932073) Here is the text:

Lost Luggage Los Angeles-based GlobaTrac is using sensors to solve another problem: lost luggage.

Its forthcoming Trakdot is a small plastic-covered device you slip inside your bag which communicates with your phone via Bluetooth to tell you which airport it is at and, assuming you are at the same one, how far away it is.

The equipment is designed to comply with air travel regulations by switching itself off when in flight.

"Imagine I'm going on holiday, I put this in my bag, and when I get to New York I turn my phone on and I discover it's still in London," says the firm's Jagdeep Bhaura.

"Rather than stand there for an hour wasting my holiday I go to the airline and tell them to sort it out."
I think they must mean GPS or SIM based tracking as Blueetooth has only 10/15m range. But sounds good when it gets past trials.

DaveReidUK
8th Jan 2013, 06:55
I think they must mean GPS or SIM based tracking as Blueetooth has only 10/15m range.

It uses standard SIM tracking, no GPS involved and I can't see where Bluetooth comes in either.

ExXB
8th Jan 2013, 10:20
Is it approved for airline use? If it transmits, and it must, it needs to be certified (either by the manufacturer or the airline). I doubt either has taken place, yet.

DaveReidUK
8th Jan 2013, 11:30
The manufacturer's website claims "FCC Certified and FAA Compliant", whatever that means.

PAXboy
9th Jan 2013, 00:25
I'm guessing that the FAA have approved that it shuts itself down with pressure change or some such. You would need to get their name on it for carriers to accept it.

But it makes you wonder what will happen the first time each, and every, TSA staffer finds one. :uhoh:

Further info that clarifies B'tooth for the last 10m:

The Trakdot communicates with either an iPhone or Android app, as well as SMS to tell you the status of your luggage when traveling. It also integrates Bluetooth technology to tell you if your bag is getting closer to you or if someone is walking off with it. Globatrac hopes to have the Trakdot available at the end of March for $49.95. One time activation of $8.99 (effectively $60) then $12.99 (aka $13) for annual service fee.The last item tells you that it uses a data network to communicate with it's own base system which then sends the SMS to you, they also offer a Google map display (PC or mobile) with a 'YOU'RE BAG IS HERE'sort of thing. That will also allow them to keep tabs on you each year for upselling and produce a steady revenue stream. Sounds smart.

(Radeng will be along in a minute with his sack of potatoes and special liquid :E)

ExXB
9th Jan 2013, 06:56
I'm guessing that the FAA have approved that it shuts itself down with pressure change or some such. You would need to get their name on it for carriers to accept it.

So it's on during the most critical phase of the flight, as prohibited for my iPad, by the same FAA. Such devices need to be signed off by other regulators and many airlines will want a look-see as well.

According to SITA over 99.9% of bags are reconnected with passengers and those that are irretrievably lost have no identification inside or out (or are stolen). I don't see somebody too lazy to put a copy of their eticket in their bag using something like this. (That will ensure any wayward bag is returned to you)

Even if they work, I don't see them as being that useful. So your bag is in Lagos, or Brussels, or in the dumpster at your origin and you're in Vancouver. Unless your airline has staff there I doubt this will expedite the process.

DaveReidUK
9th Jan 2013, 07:27
Even if they work, I don't see them as being that useful.

It doesn't need to be useful, or arguably even to work - that won't stop them selling plenty. :O

eastern wiseguy
9th Jan 2013, 17:20
I'm guessing that the FAA have approved that it shuts itself down with pressure change or some such.

And that is when the bomb goes off?.....or am I just a cynic?