PDA

View Full Version : 2012 GR4 Role Demo Cockpit Footage

Firefox84
7th Jan 2013, 08:37
Hi,

Not sure if this has been posted already but i thought this was an awesome high quality video filmed from the back seat of Poker 1.

2012 Tornado GR4 Role Demo at RAF Leuchars - 15 Sep 2012 - YouTube

SASless
7th Jan 2013, 14:08
Typical NAV....head spinning trying to figure out where he is.

All he had to do was ask the Pilot!

West Coast
7th Jan 2013, 15:29
Do the Tornado's wings sweep automatically to some optimal position for the aerodynamic loads or is it done manually?

El Grifo
7th Jan 2013, 16:19
Very nice !

Spotted the second aircraft tucking in behind at just before 8.40 mins.

Probably the best use of a GoPro 2 I have ever seen.

RJC
7th Jan 2013, 16:29
In relation to the moving wing, does the pylon also pivot so as to maintain whatever is on them keeping parallel with the main airframe?

I saw a demo like this at Duxford last year, nice to see one from the other perspective.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Jan 2013, 17:20
Very nice !

Spotted the second aircraft tucking in behind at just before 8.40 mins.

Probably the best use of a GoPro 2 I have ever seen.

Didn't you spot him at 20s going the other way?!

Lima Juliet
7th Jan 2013, 17:38
Answers:

The pylons rotate to stay parallel to the fuselage centreline as the wings move.

The wingsweep lever is manual. Not sure whether GR1/GR4 had it fitted, but the F3 had auto wing sweep at the factory and was taken out on delivery to the RAF. The Saudi jets had it fitted and kept it. Apparently, it was the girls at Boscombe Down that didn't like auto wing sweep as they do it much better and faster themselves - quel surprise an above-average to exceptional managing to handle it better manually! But try putting manual wingsweep at the hands of an average Joe F^cknuckle and the Nav would constantly remind tye stick-monkey to sweep the wings as they were about to be overstressed or asking for wings forward as the AOA shot through the roof and the wing started to stall!

Only 25, 35, 45, 58 and 67 degree wing was cleared for use. Although Barnes Wallace designed VG wings for tuning to the desired speed, in practicality it could never be cleared for fatigue and overstress throughout its entire envelope without being prohibitively expensive.

I hope that helps...:ok:

Cracking video though :ok:

PS. It looks like it has been speeded up to look like an F3 flying the same profile :E

bakseetblatherer
7th Jan 2013, 17:49
I good example of the poor vis in the back of a fin, esp the GR with the intakes going well forward of the back seat. That guys head is well and truly above the head box of the ejection seat, not recommended!

Courtney Mil
7th Jan 2013, 17:51
The pylons rotate to stay parallel to the fuselage centreline as the wings move.

Really? Is that important?

Lima Juliet
7th Jan 2013, 17:56
Courtney, just answering the Q at Post #5. Do keep up old boy...:ok:

Piggies
7th Jan 2013, 17:56
I don't think it's appropriate that a thread on a current FL aircraft type has been added to this forum:=

El Grifo
7th Jan 2013, 18:17
Didn't you spot him at 20s going the other way?!

Yes Milord !

It was a lot more obvious at that point though.
At 8.40 it could have been mistaken for a reflection or a video artefact:ok:

Cheers
El G.

Lyneham Lad
7th Jan 2013, 18:49
He pops up from below at 8mins 36secs then briefly appears over the Nav's left should a few seconds later.

Kitbag
7th Jan 2013, 19:35
That guys head is well and truly above the head box of the ejection seat, not recommended!

He is not sitting up high in the seat, the extreme short focal length of the lens makes the WSOs head appear to be higher than it is. Check the apparent angle of the wings fully forward, the relative position of the fin tip etc.

Just This Once...
7th Jan 2013, 19:43
Looks pretty high in the headbox to me and reinforced by the apparent angle of the harnesses as well as the head to canopy clearance when the chap moves his head about.

Not saying I have not done it myself from time to time...

SFCC
7th Jan 2013, 19:48
Piggies....
You're on your own there.

Courtney Mil
7th Jan 2013, 20:33
When doing anything that requires decent lookout, who wouldn't motor the seat up as far as necessery. I don't recall ever thinking, "Those guys on PPRuNe are going to have me if they ever see me doing this!"

The B Word
7th Jan 2013, 21:43
But having your seat up too high can possibly be fatal...RIP Jesse, old chum

http://www.tornado-data.com/Production/MAAS%20Reports/ZE789.pdf

Let's learn to be wise from the past...

Easy Street
7th Jan 2013, 22:04
The teaching on the upper limit of ejection seat position is a clenched fist between helmet and canopy in the front seat, and a flat hand in the back seat. There's easily a flat hand's room in that video, and I didn't see him bang his head on the canopy once! Even with what's almost a fisheye lens it looked fine to me. Knowing the back seater, his experience and his attitude to safety, I'm sure he'll be delighted to know that the PPRuNe panel is sitting in judgement!

keesje
7th Jan 2013, 22:47
steady, hd, good colors, interesting scenery, no interruptions, great video

Lima Juliet
7th Jan 2013, 23:49
The teaching following B Word's link to the fatal accident was to have shoulder straps parallel to the cockpit floor going towards the headbox. Also, I would venture that a flat hand between helmet and MDC is way too close.

Is it time for XV Sqn to pull the BOI report and learn a lesson from the past about the Mk 10 bang seat? Is it another example of a loss of corporate memory fade with a jet aircraft that has been in service a long time?

LJ :confused: