PDA

View Full Version : Which Airline?

chrisy08
6th Jan 2013, 10:22
Hi all...

Just want to know, from your experiences, which is the best airline to fly with to the states....

British Airways
Virgin Atlantic
United Airlines
Delta Airlines
American Airlines

left rudder
6th Jan 2013, 12:57
Hi

For what it's worth I have not used Delta and my experience of the other 4 has been obtained in Economy Class.
On that basis BA is way ahead with Virgin a very disappointing 4th.

The Virgin economy class seating is very unconfortable and in some 747 configurations the toilets are within 2 feet of the nearest seat! Not nice.

However as a budget traveller I do search hard for the best deal and if any of the quoted operators are significantly cheaper I will use them and spend the savings on a hotel upgrade.

Hope this helps

Skipness One Echo
6th Jan 2013, 14:00
google Skytrax and have a proper look. It's biased towards the bad but it's a good place to start.

Airline Passenger Reviews and Opinions | SKYTRAX (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm)

Wycombe
6th Jan 2013, 16:33
Don't forget Air New Zealand if you're going to LAX.

Probably as good or better Economy product than all the aforementioned.

AdamFrisch
6th Jan 2013, 18:14
Serial long-hauler here and this is my advice based on years of experience:

1. Never use a US carrier.
2. Never connect in the US unless it's outbound.

All US carriers suck. They are absolutely terrible - old planes, old grumpy personnel, bad service and forcing you in to their meat-grinding hubs. Their Business Class is like Economy on any of the "new world" carriers. All the seats will still have ash trays - promise.

Since the 9/11 paranoia set in, all incoming US connections have to pick up the luggage and re-check it. This means the whole bloody security rigmarole all over, but worse, once you hit US soil. Shoes, belts, the lot ("Sir, please put your Ipad on a separate tray!!"). No luggage is allowed to check through directly. This adds about 1-2hrs to your connection time on top of the 1-2hrs you'll spend doing immigration and running in endless hub corridors with filthy wall-to-wall carpets. Yeah, that's right - no transit without immigration either. It's a regular occurrence to miss connections when you have 4hrs between flights. I'm not kidding - you have been warned. Miami is the worst, avoid like plague.

My third rule is:

3. Always go direct, if possible. Always. It eliminates all the above problems.

So to sum it up:

a. If you're going to LAX, Air New Zealand is the best, bar none.
b. If you're going to the East Coast, then Virgin Atlantic.
c. Anywhere else, BA....

or

d. ..If you must connect, then there's a fourth neat trick - if you fly Air Canada and connect in Canada, they most often clear you though US immigration on Canadian soil, and you will arrive as a US domestic flight. This saves you about 1-2hrs time. Air Canada not very good in itself, but this is a neat trick.

chrisy08
7th Jan 2013, 00:42
Thank you for your comments, well apart from one member.

I have decided to go with Virgin, am going to east coast (New York), 747 departure, A330 arrival. I liked the inside of the Virgin cabin better, with the inflight entertainment, and the departure flight is 1pm, so from Cardiff, won't need to leave at like 4am for the earlier BA flights.

Once again, thanks for the opinions. I flew Delta to Las Vegas last year, and had a connection in Atlanta, NO seatback entertainment for all the journeys, I was bored out of my brains and it was uncomfortable as well.

Fogg, I have no idea what you are talking about, so you are absolutely wrong. You know what, sometimes people have a genuine question, and this particular forum seemed perfect for my answer. I think you need to step outside your little bubble matey.

Hotel Tango
7th Jan 2013, 08:18
Since the 9/11 paranoia set in, all incoming US connections have to pick up the luggage and re-check it.

If my poor memory serves me right this was always the case inbound USA, even pre 911.

ExXB
7th Jan 2013, 09:35
If my poor memory serves me right this was always the case inbound USA, even pre 911.

And is not unique to the US. Just transited Montreal enroute to Vancouver and had to clear luggage through customs there. Exception may be entry into Schengen area where people are cleared at first entry point but luggage at destination.

X767
7th Jan 2013, 10:46
Have used United regularly from MAN to EWR over the past few years. I have always been impressed by the friendliness and professionalism of the cabin crew and Newark is so much easier to navigate than JFK. Their AirTrain system makes getting around very straightforward and the positioning of the Car Rental agencies make car pick-up a breeze ( 3/4 of an hour from on chocks to driving away is my personal record).

ConstantFlyer
7th Jan 2013, 11:57
Hi chrisy08

Hope you enjoy your trip on Virgin. I'd agree with AdamFrisch's excellent post. Another time, also check out Aer Lingus from Dublin. Fine if you're going to Boston, New York or Chicago. I think they also clear you through US immigration at DUB, so you arrive as a 'domestic' passenger.

(The 'Fogg' post you mention seems to have been deleted, but your comment doesn't surprise me. Ignore him.)

Bon voyage.

jackieofalltrades
7th Jan 2013, 18:06
I've travelled trans-Atlantic more times than I can remember. I would also add to the mix flying with KLM/Delta via Schiphol, or Air France via CDG. Depending where you are in the UK, this can often work out cheaper than flying direct from Heathrow and saves time if you have a regional airport near you that KLM fly to.

As for the trans-Atlantic part, my own experience is:
Delta/KLM: decent seat and entertainment (apart from Delta 767-300 which is overhead TVs - though they are in process of upgrading). Cabin crew generally ok, but sometimes a bit grumpy and wish passengers weren't on board. (But doesn't everyone have off days?!) Food is good for economy.
Air France: seat a little narrow in leg room, entertainment not the best. Cabin crew for the most part are nice and will speak English. Only had one experience with a surly staff member that was off with me.
American Airlines: Dreadful. Rude cabin crew. Uncomfortable seats. Won't fly with them again.
Virgin: Used to be my airline of choice. Leg room is on the narrow side for me. Entertainment has a good range of options and food, though not as good as it was a decade ago still is fine for me. Cabin crew are young, and generally nice.
BA: Been several years since I've used BA for long-haul. There's a good reason for that. Although a friend prefers them every time he flies.
United: Last flew with Continental before the merger. The seat was roomy and entertainment good. Food was a little sparse, I was hungry when I arrived in EWR. Cabin crew were friendly and attentive, but couldn't do anything about the little food, despite the flight being less than half full.
US Airways Only flown them domestically in the US. The interior was dirty and old. Will only use if they are significantly cheaper than any other option.

I've not flown with Air New Zealand, but like other posters have commented, I hear they are decent inside.

In summary, there's not a huge difference in the economy product. For me the choice is normally made by price and destination. Every passenger has different requirements/wants/enjoyments for a flight, so a product which passenger A loves, might be considered dreadful for passenger B.

strake
7th Jan 2013, 19:32
As someone who has flown most of them...my advice, take AdamF's advice.

AdamFrisch
7th Jan 2013, 21:26
I used to also love flying Virgin. But the last few times, they've become a bit "Essex footballer's wife's", if I may say so. They're still very good compared to most of the competition, don't get me wrong. Just that they used to be real cutting edge and they're not anymore. At least the airplanes are normally in good shape.

Air New Zealand is my new favourite as they remind me of how SAS used to be in the early 90's - clean, minimalistic and stylish. ANZ have great food served on small uncluttered trays - quality over quantity. And the power outlet on every seat, even in economy, is a godsend for those of us who have to work on the computer.

The less said about some of the BA fleet, the better...

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/481520-bas-fleet-becoming-disgrace-any-wonder-people-abandon-old-carriers.html

Jarvy
8th Jan 2013, 12:46
Oh dear, flew back after christmas with Delta into JFK and the business seats where better than BA. So where the cabin crew. Only problem was the 2 hour wait at JFK to get through immigration.
So thats why our number one across the pond is Delta, then BA, Virgin, United etc....

SeenItAll
8th Jan 2013, 18:29
I disagree with AdamFrisch. The only rule is that there are no hard and fast rules. Some planes within a fleet are new, others are old. Some have new IFE, some have old, and some with new IFE may have a glitch that prevents it from working on your particular flight. Sometimes the wait at Immigration is short, sometimes long. Sometimes the plane will clean, other times there will be crumbs left in the seat pocket. Sometimes the food is good, other times it is excerable. Sometimes the flight attendants are accommodating and competent, other times they may be less so.

The only things that are constant are:

1. A connecting flight will likely take longer than a non-stop, and there may always be something that happens with the connection.

2. A flight that costs less leaves you with more money in your pocket.

It is up to you to decide whether the possibility of any any feature mentioned in the first paragaph of this post trumps the certainty of the last two features.

Mr Mac
8th Jan 2013, 20:03
We use Lufty acoss the pond from Man, but most work is mid west so change in those centers and would have had to have changed anyway on east coast or Chicago. Only bad bit is crossing back over my house at FL38 in the early hours on the inbound leg knowing you will have 4hrs + to get home - luckily not much US business so small problem which we can live with.:ok: