PDA

View Full Version : B2 Basic Licence Application

mtu1250
6th Jan 2013, 09:35
Can anyone please assist me, I am planning to apply for a B2 Basic licence but was informed by the CAA UK that military experiance is not recognised, I read in the EASA legislation that if worked in military envirnment then at least 12 months Part 145 experiance is required.
I worked in a Part 145 company for 2 years just before working for a company that maintains the airforce aircraft which I hav been working for now is 2 years, How would I have to go about to get my licence, would I have to join a Part 145 company and for how long would I have to work then before I can apply. Please can someone assist.

The90sAME
6th Jan 2013, 09:57
Once you have done the theory, you would need to work for a part 145 company for either 3 or 5 years (depending if you sat a full part 147 course or not) and record your work into a log book.

The logbooks themselves outline what practical work must be completed on your half in order to apply for a license (In your case, noted with a B2 at the side of it). Anything else you record in the blank section is a bonus and shows you can do a wide range of tasks.

I know you can get a logbook from here, i dont know what theyre policy is on where they ship to.

CAP 741 Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Log Book - Issue 2, 2008 (http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?FO=1159966&Action=Book&ProductID=9780117920736&From=SearchResults)

mtu1250
6th Jan 2013, 11:21
So, Correct me if I am wrong, ALL my previous experiance is null and void. I need to work for 5 years at a Part 145 organisation and then may I only apply for a basic licence

The90sAME
6th Jan 2013, 11:55
Yes and No on the previous experience.

I dont know the official answer, but i have heard of people serving in the RAF to be 'credited' experience, like, for example, someone worked 20 years in the RAF, was credited 2 years for it into his logbook.

Whether its complete bull, i dont know. Someone who has been in a similar situation to you will give you a definite answer.
But my guess is no, it wont be accounted for.

And its not really a basic license, if you do the theory, then do the required experience, you can apply for a full B2.

turbroprop
6th Jan 2013, 12:57
Military experience does count as long as the work is relevant. A good understanding of both the licence requirements and the ATA CHAPTER SYSTEM. Then work carried out can be logged. ie tasks on navigation systems could count, but weapons systems no. However fixing a broken cable in a weapons system could count as the task is to fix a broken wire.

Therefore it is possible to gain a licence whilst still serving in the military. The problem would is that this licence would be frozen and you could not certify until you have worked for a part 145 company for a year. This may seem odd but also remember that you need to have done a type course and completed a certain amount of experience on that type before you can certify.

So if you joined a company with a basic B2 licence, the chances are you would have worked at that company for more than a year before you have completed the type course and associated work experience to use your licence.

mtu1250
6th Jan 2013, 14:43
Thank you for the information.

spannersatcx
6th Jan 2013, 17:33
surely that goes against the whole ethos of EASA, the CAA is on very thin ice there with restricting cross border trading, if you are a contractor you move from pillar to post within europe but as long it's all under 145 regs then it should make no difference where the experience was gained. :ugh:

BluFin
8th Jan 2013, 09:24
To Clarify the OJT Vs Competent Authority Question

See Annex to ED Decision 2012/004/R

Page 24

In the case where the licencing competent authority is different from the competent authority of the maintenance organisation which provides the OJT, the licencing authority may take into consideration the fact that the maintenance organisation may already have the OJT programme accepted by their own competent authority (through Chapter 3.15 of the MOE, as described in AMC 145.A.70(a)).

Keyword is May: Question is do ya feel lucky .............. (Re Dirty Harry)

Sorry forgot to mention
AMC to Section 6 of Appendix III to Part-66 “Aircraft Type Training and Examination Standard. On-the-Job Training”
On-the-Job Training (OJT)

Point 9

The procedures for OJT should be included into the Exposition Manual of the approved maintenance organisation (Chapter 3.15, as indicated in AMC 145.A.70(a)).
However, since these procedures in the Exposition Manual are approved by the competent authority of the maintenance organisation, and providing training is not one of the privileges of a maintenance organisation, they can only be used when the licencing authority is the same as the competent authority of the maintenance organisation. In other cases, it is up to
the licencing authority to decide whether it accepts such procedures for the purpose of approving the OJT (refer to AMC 66.B.115).

Seems to come down to What is in 3.15 Of the MOE

Capot
8th Jan 2013, 11:44
Thread drift alert!

The procedures for OJT should be included into the Exposition Manual of the approved maintenance organisation (Chapter 3.15, as indicated in AMC 145.A.70(a)).

One of the several reasons why the practice in certain UK Colleges of not providing OJT as an integral part of a Basic Training course, and telling their students simply to push off and arrange it where they can at their own expense (see various threads!) is completely wrong. Any "OJT" conducted in such a way cannot be used to support a Basic Training certificate.

And yet, this is exactly what happens. In one case the poor b****y students finished up in a wheels and tyres workshop to carry out their "Fully Approved Basic Training OJT", presumably with the Surveyor's knowledge and agreement.

The UK CAA's Part 147 and Part 145 Surveyors appear willingly to condone this practice, unless things have recently changed.. Can anyone explain how this is arranged? Does EASA never audit them in depth?

Back to the thread!

BluFin
8th Jan 2013, 15:06
Thread Deletion Alert ;)

Vijaygupta
16th Jan 2013, 17:22
im also workin in a military org. as a contractual basis...i workd in part145 company for 1 yr.presently im working in an airforce for d last 3 yrs...even im maintaing my log book...can i apply for the B2 basic licence....

Alber Ratman
16th Jan 2013, 20:03
I got my B1.1 basic licence post leaving the RAF after 2 years and 7 months, this wasn't because of the CAA refused any applications prior to this, it was because I hadn't the range of work to apply according to my companies QA Manager (who was wrong in the end, because I applied with the approval of the group manager with only two more entries!). I'm sure the UK CAA does not include Air Forces outside of their area of interest (South african / Indian / Whatever) for reducing the MRO experience requirement. Even British nationals applying must show some proof of their training and experince in the military to gain the full exemption of time.. Is it fair? Of course it is..

I don't think the changes of 1149/2011 to the regulation have effected requirement times, but it still is 5 years for self improvers, 3 for skilled workers who can prove their skill set in pervious work is applicable, 2 years for the college boys and one year for ex crabs, matelots, pongos, coppers who have played with naughty planes, that being Her majesties ones..

Alber Ratman
16th Jan 2013, 20:06
18 months with basic licence but with no rating and my company has little or no interest in putting me on a course to get one..:E

Vijaygupta
17th Jan 2013, 18:06
so cn i appy for the B2 licence or not...coz in CAA site itz given dat for military personnel dey giv sum credit for wch dey hv 2 jus work 1 yr in EASA 145 company fr getting licence...The aircraft im workin is easa 145 approved...so can i appy fr d licence...

Alber Ratman
17th Jan 2013, 19:11
Apply and see if they will accept it.. Or talk to them first, the UK CAA SRG licence department do have a phone number you can find on the internet.. You should practice your written English however, it's not very good for somebody applying for a UK licence.:E

Vijaygupta
18th Jan 2013, 03:38
thanks alber..

yellowtails
30th Nov 2014, 15:19
Hi blue,

Do you know any place who will offer approved On-the job training program for a320 1st type endorsement?

Regards,

Yellow