PDA

View Full Version : EK hold pool (DEC's)

flyby2013
6th Jan 2013, 06:05
Anyone have info on what's happening with successful applicants that still haven't been offered a job, but have been placed in the holding pool for DEC's?

electricdeathjet
6th Jan 2013, 12:26
All I have heard is no courses until the next tax year......

Man Flex 37.5
6th Jan 2013, 12:46
I have heard the same

flyby2013
6th Jan 2013, 13:40
Since most pilots have a three months notice one should hopefully be expecting a call anytime soon.
Financial year runs from april.

electricdeathjet
6th Jan 2013, 17:21
.... hope so.

Glonass
7th Jan 2013, 23:40
All I have heard is no courses until the next tax year......

For those of you in the know, are you optimist course will indeed begin next financial year or it basically means one shall wait next financial year to see what the planning will be and if DEC courses are part of the equation?

flyby2013
11th Jan 2013, 07:22
Rumor says there will be no more interviews for DEC's.
Those who have passed and been placed in the pool might receive a job offer.
Anyone that can confirm or have more/other info?

A300skipper
11th Jan 2013, 16:53
If they are done hiring DECs, why do they still advertise for it?

groundtoflightdeck
11th Jan 2013, 18:39
The link to the DEC is gone now...

Visual Procedures
12th Jan 2013, 02:54
Was speaking to the refueller yesterday, he heard that the last of the 777 DECs have started, a few more 330 DEC's to join through the next financial year.

Its an impeccable source, so it must be true. :ok:

taz.devil
12th Jan 2013, 16:49
They have closed DEC hiring at website.

TD

macscary
14th Jan 2013, 14:31
What is the point in screening people and not hiring them?
There will be news soon for sure! They said they need pilots for ...yesterday.

Dune Buggy
14th Jan 2013, 18:57
Does anyone have any idea of approximately how many DEC's are in the hold pool?

Thanks.

electricdeathjet
17th Jan 2013, 10:02
+1 Me :uhoh:

TwinJock
18th Jan 2013, 15:14
I suggest that whoever is interested in a DEC position at EK, makes contact with their mates who started recently as DEC's!

I have heard, seen and experienced some extensive grinding of teeth, and "near tear" moments from some of them. I am sure that some of them regret the decision that they made to move in this direction.

flyby2013
18th Jan 2013, 17:29
TwinJock, I have no such connections.
Would you please elaborate?

stakeknife
18th Jan 2013, 20:04
Actually I do know some of the present DEC's and some from back in 2007 I think. No grinding of teeth or regrets from any of them, just hard work and satisfaction. It's only perhaps 8 guys in total but they seem happy enough, especially the guys from the last intake.each to their own I guess!

Dune Buggy
19th Jan 2013, 14:49
I have been receiving the same info as Stakeknife. The DEC's that I have been speaking with are quite impressed. Lets hope we get some news soon.

flyby2013
24th Jan 2013, 16:58
Anyone in the holding pool for DEC's received any news, or more info?

Glonass
24th Jan 2013, 17:08
I can talk for myself: Nope

Man Flex 37.5
25th Jan 2013, 08:22
I haven't heard anything either.

Dune Buggy
25th Jan 2013, 12:54
I'm in the same boat. No news...

clear to land
26th Jan 2013, 04:00
Plan is for no more DEC on 777, AB is TBA.

LHR Rain
26th Jan 2013, 07:16
Do the FOs of the illustrious DECs think the same?
Can't imagine a Ryan Air DEC (I paid for my type rating) setting the world on fire.

victorc10
26th Jan 2013, 08:08
LHR you turnip....anyone with the required hours for a start did not pay for TR...also the said company (for which you fail in the ability to spell correctly) has many very competent operators and of course some less so much like any other airline. It would not be difficult to determine which category you would be placed with your God type ego disease.

supatiger
26th Jan 2013, 08:27
LHR you going to get slated for that one! :}

LHR Rain
26th Jan 2013, 09:38
And the Ryan Air pilots are not going to get slated with all that they have done to the industry?
I have never paid for training so I guess I put myself in the catergory of a professional pilot. That is I get paid to fly.
Can anyone honestly say that Ryan Air and the likes are good for the industry?

fatbus
26th Jan 2013, 10:15
Neither are those who have blinders on. LHR where have you been for the last 15 years? Have a look what's going on right here in the UAE

MaffiFaloos
26th Jan 2013, 11:14
What a TWIT Mr LHR. Must be some FO wannabe who flies as well as he types......all wind and pi**

flyby2013
26th Jan 2013, 12:03
Guys, can we please stay on topic here.
Information regarding the DEC holding pool at Emirates.

Much appreciated.

canadansk
26th Jan 2013, 12:06
Recent washup meeting said "No more DEC" - at least present plan.

flyby2013
26th Jan 2013, 12:08
..and by that meaning no more applications?
Or a complete halt also for those already in the pool?

what_goes_up
27th Jan 2013, 04:52
As said in the meeting...

Last DEC on T7 is in the company already, on AB TBA...

But things change quickly here!

GoreTex
27th Jan 2013, 16:29
how many times did EK say no more DEC's and how many times did they hire DEC's after that?

believe me there will always be DEC's in EK

macscary
1st Feb 2013, 15:17
Assessment complete in october 2012
Notification of success 5 weeks later via email with pending course plan in 2013.
last email received last week: "we shall give you an update ASAP, still waiting for the next course plan, thanks for your patience".
Well, at least, they keep us in the loop...

Dune Buggy
5th Feb 2013, 21:53
I had the same update as macscary...

flyby2013
7th Feb 2013, 17:19
News or info, anyone?

McNulty
7th Feb 2013, 17:40
The majority of Ryanair guys who got DEC were very experienced TRE's and the like, and most of them were DEC's in Ryanair in the first place....very experienced guys.

Basic Service
7th Feb 2013, 17:43
Was in touch with HR a couple of days ago, they are unsure of their requirements until they get the confirmed course plan for the next Financial year. Once they get that (some time between now and April), they will know if they have any need, and if required will contact the pool.

Basic Service
7th Feb 2013, 17:52
I met a couple of the Ryanair boys over there, good lads and as said, pretty experienced. One was VERY high up the training ladder, but the other was a mere mortal like the rest of us. It depends when you were in the system, when I went, just about all DEC's were TRE's, but a few months later they were taking line Captains with no training experience and the minimum hours. I think we are now in the mop up phase where they have a small pool of suitable bods who will get the call if next years FY needs them. Its a case of hurry up and wait.......:zzz:

Mrs Mangels
7th Feb 2013, 18:31
From the latest wash-up- the stop gap has been plugged!! i.e., we now have a steady stream of FO's ready to go again.
It was only ever going to be to fill in the nine month gap of zero recruitment during 2008/9 (GFC), looks like that gap is over.

Basic Service
8th Feb 2013, 11:35
You may well be right Mrs Mangel and I'm sure the FO's that have been waiting for command will be saying, "bout time too!!" Fact remains, that there are a number of us who have been assessed as suitable pending a course date, and we have not heard that we are no longer required yet. That e mail could be on its way after the "weekend", but until then we will wait and hope there is one last chance. I know its a difficult subject, if I was an FO waiting for the left seat, I know how I would feel. It's never going to be a subject that will be resolved happily for everyone.

For everyone else reading this that is waiting to hear, historically, decisions are made and changed frequently in EK. We have certainly missed the main boat, but you can never tell what those on the top floors will drop on the recruitment team, sometimes at very short notice. You might hear that there is nothing else happening one week, and then get a call asking if you can be there in a month! We will know one way or the other soon enough, next FY's plan is out some time soon and all will be clear. ( for a week or two ).

fatbus
8th Feb 2013, 12:11
2 things to remember, EK tends to cut back on all spending this time of year resulting in delays to all training and there is not as many qualified FO's as one would think ( I sure I'll get shot down for that, but a little birdie told me). Last I heard is the 777 is more or less done with DEC's and 30-40 on the 330 later on this year. Those that are waiting - you might not hear anything at all if they decide not to hire you. It would make sense to me to email .
One other piece of info is that the new upgrade course might be running now, don't know if it's all fleets but when it does is @ 10-12 months long. DEC's maybe required to fill the gap and that could include the 777.

vfenext
8th Feb 2013, 12:58
One other piece of info is that the new upgrade course might be running now, don't know if it's all fleets but when it does is @ 10-12 months long.
Complete and utter BS!!

fatbus
8th Feb 2013, 13:58
VFE , I wont go into detail about the FTN but the first bullet point reads " @ one year prior to eligibility for the NAC Course" and I didn't count but it's about 60 pages.

vfenext
8th Feb 2013, 14:40
Approx 12 months before upgrade 2 days of command coaching are rostered. These days do NOT represent the start of the upgrade. I know EK try to reinvent the wing on the upgrade but a 12 month course would be stretching it.

MucDoo
21st Feb 2013, 14:00
Hi Guys, anyone had a change to their status on the web site? Mine says under review.

flyby2013
24th Feb 2013, 19:44
MucDoo, what was your status before that?

MucDoo
28th Feb 2013, 16:31
flyby, I had to turn down a start date last year, when I got back in touch to say I was able to join, they put me in the pool with "under review ".

Interesting thread about FO interviews elsewhere, that mentions that a lot of the 340's are being phased out and I think one of the 330's.

trimotor
2nd Mar 2013, 04:21
DEC programme, certainly on the 777 is at an end for the time being -last 2 guys start soon.

10-12 month upgrade course? Complete BS, as stated.

flyby2013
2nd Mar 2013, 04:29
Sad to hear that. Has the plan for the next financial year been released?

Dlink13
3rd Mar 2013, 06:17
So are there guys who have interviewed and passed the selection process and are still waiting in the pool or has the pool been emptied with no more DEC's waiting for a start date.

flyby2013
3rd Mar 2013, 06:19
There are still people in the pool. At least one. :)

fatbus
3rd Mar 2013, 06:59
My understanding is that there is still some( @20) DEC's coming throughout the year on the 330.

Man Flex 37.5
3rd Mar 2013, 08:07
I think there are a few of us in the pool.

vfenext
3rd Mar 2013, 09:16
Fatbus, as usual your info is wrong. Nil DEC on the 330/340

fatbus
3rd Mar 2013, 09:46
Depends who you know!

donpizmeov
3rd Mar 2013, 09:47
I have heard the same as fatbus.

The Don

millerscourt
3rd Mar 2013, 15:17
The Don

Have dusted off my A340 Manuals just in case. They did NOT require Carbon Dating as White Knight inferred ( Cheeky young whippersnapper):ok:

flap relief
4th Mar 2013, 06:51
Another one still in the pool but starting to get slightly waterlogged.....

WTF is going on?

EKB777
4th Mar 2013, 11:05
Consider updating online applications. Little birdie suggesting further A330 DEC requirement shortly (small number)

macscary
4th Mar 2013, 13:02
What are you talking about updating online applications?
This thread is about DEC hold pool, not short listed dudes.
And if your birdie could pass on some real infos, and stop carrying out some kind of ranting, that would be nice!

pondoklabu
5th Mar 2013, 06:22
Guys you could always change your application to F/O and start from the bottom like many other jet Capts at Emirates.

Just a thought

The Dominican
5th Mar 2013, 07:27
Emirates does hire DEC's from time to time:rolleyes: so not everyone at EK has started from the bottom.

Laker
5th Mar 2013, 10:07
If you aren't in yet I don't think it's going to happen for a DEC candidate (except for maybe a few Airbus). Emirates started hiring in huge numbers about 3 years ago. Once they get through the guys in the upgrade pipeline now there will be a steady stream of pilots with 2,500 hours on type ready to upgrade.

Might be a good time to explore other options if you are in the pool.

paddingtonbear319
8th Mar 2013, 16:55
Hi Guys

Hot news off the press, last DEC course arrives in April, think 330 and possibly a few more courses Sept/Oct.

Majority are ex trainers.

Its pretty fluid depending on the delayed departure of the 330/340 as cover for the wing problem on the 380.

That info came from quite high up but things change so frequently its probably out of date already.

Good luck, I know the waiting is pretty painfulFluid

Comanche
9th Mar 2013, 11:25
There does not seem to be any box on the application form for DEC that allows you to tick TRI/TRE qualification / experience. Any suggestions?

Dune Buggy
9th Mar 2013, 13:10
Thanks for the update Padingtonbear. I guess I'll have to play the waiting game.

fatbus
9th Mar 2013, 14:07
VFE wrote "Fatbus, as usual your info is wrong. Nil DEC on the 330/340 "

but I think my source might be the same as , paddingtonbear319 " dec's update.

vfenext
9th Mar 2013, 16:47
The guys who drive the Volvo's don't qualify as a "source".

paddingtonbear319
11th Mar 2013, 18:27
well the one that picked me up this morning had a stutter so wasn't him. Believe as you will but also had it confirmed by a friend who has just been called for interview.

Only trying to be helpful:mad:

flyby2013
11th Mar 2013, 18:30
Paddingtonbear, no news for Boeing rated? Only AB?

Dune Buggy
17th Mar 2013, 16:49
Padingtonbear319,

Thanks for your updates. Was your friend called for a DEC interview?

Dune Buggy
3rd Apr 2013, 16:51
Has anybody in the DEC hold pool heard anything new regarding our status? The 2013 budget should be out. Also will the CAA still allow factoring?

Glonass
3rd Apr 2013, 17:05
Dune Buggy,

I contacted HR and I was told basically: "still no news or update for you. As of yet there are no Boeing DEC requirements for the coming financial year."

Dune Buggy
3rd Apr 2013, 17:21
Thanks Glonass. Hopefully that will change.

Glonass
4th Apr 2013, 09:39
Just in from HR:

"The course plan for the new Financial Year has now been released. We do not have a requirement for Direct Entry Captains on the Boeing fleet going forward. A small number of DECs will be required on the Airbus fleet. To be eligible for a DEC position on the Airbus fleet, the candidate must be current on Airbus.

We therefore are not in a position to offer you a Direct Entry Captain position with Emirates. We, however, would be able offer you a First Officer position, should this be an option for you."

See you in Vegas.

electricdeathjet
4th Apr 2013, 10:19
Oh dear...

Dune Buggy
4th Apr 2013, 13:26
I got the same letter. Rather disappointing! I just wish that they did not check all of my referees from my current employer.

fliion
5th Apr 2013, 09:35
Good news (hopefully) for our FOs.

As to the DEC candidates.....perhaps a little insight into the emotion that our FOs felt when they thought command was coming ...only to have it given to DECs... Now the shoe is on your foot...So you can't complain.

Welcome to Sandpit MGT 101.

As Varmint said .... You had all been warned.

f.

White none please
5th Apr 2013, 16:45
Can you genuinely say there was even one FO whose command was delayed due to the DEC intake?
As stated previously, if you had taken the time to look before you joined, EK has for many years, taken DEC's from time to time, so if it bothers you that much.......

fliion
5th Apr 2013, 22:55
Bothered? No

Humoured? Yes.

Could you imagine a true global brand behaving this way towards the recruitment of SNR Managers. I mean its beyond belief.

I don't resent a DEC wannabe.

I just chuckle at the facilitators of the system that presents itself as a truly professional corporation - yet treats its current (FOs, ex Training chiefs) & future (DECs) managers in such a haphazard way.

I go to work, do what I'm told, pick up my check...and sit quietly in the Volvo as the facilitator ...the trainer, CRM guy, safety guy, the recruitment guy, assistant chief guy ... puts the perennial lipstick on the pig....

...it's still a pig

f.

Dlink13
19th May 2013, 19:27
Any DEC's still in the pool. Can someone post what has happened here??

MucDoo
26th May 2013, 16:57
Took a few on for June and July course on 330. Little bird tweets that 200 extra DEC's may be needed to cover something to do with in flight rest. Apparently GCAA not happy that rest is being calculated properly, I guess that means more pilots need to be rostered for certain flights...If you are still in a hold pool you may get something yet??:confused: