PDA

View Full Version : Radar coverage

FLX/MCT
5th Jan 2013, 22:20
Dear pprune fellowers,

I am looking for some kind of chart or similar documentation of the areas of the world which are (not) covered by radar. Although this matter is not so serious in Europe or ConUS, many rural parts of the continents are not under radar control.
Do you have any clues?

Best regards and thanks in advance,
luke

Intruder
6th Jan 2013, 01:02
You'd probably have to look for equivalents of the US Sectional charts that note uncontrolled airspace.

Spitoon
6th Jan 2013, 01:50
I'm not sure that uncontrolled = no radar in many parts of the world.

Maybe the AIP is a good starting point. I know the UK doc has charts showing broad coverage of various en-route radar stations - I don't have the ICAO references to hand but this is probably part of the Standard for a State AIP.

Piltdown Man
6th Jan 2013, 08:38
Are you considering starting an import/export business?

PM

FLX/MCT
6th Jan 2013, 10:19
Piltdown man, negative - just a mere flying man trying to expand his horizon :O

aterpster
6th Jan 2013, 13:02
Intruder:

You'd probably have to look for equivalents of the US Sectional charts that note uncontrolled airspace.

Speaking only of the U.S., uncontrolled airspace is unrelated to radar coverage.

aterpster
6th Jan 2013, 13:04
Untilapproximately two years ago the FAA provided the LAT/LON on one of its websites for en route radar.

These data are now removed on the basis of "national security." So much for transparency in government in the U.S.

DaveReidUK
6th Jan 2013, 15:06
These data are now removed on the basis of "national security." So much for transparency in government in the U.S.I'm pretty sure that information is available under the FOIA, though as the OP says it's probably reasonable to assume that almost all of CONUS does have radar coverage.

Spitoon
6th Jan 2013, 15:16
The ICAO Standard for the State AIP (from Annex 15) includes:

ENR 1.6.1 Primary radar
Description of primary radar services and procedures, including:
1) supplementary services;
2) the application of radar control service;
3) radar and air-ground communication failure procedures;
4) voice and CPDLC position reporting requirements; and
5) graphic portrayal of area of radar coverage.

The following sections include a similar Standard for SSR and ADS-B.

The US, although not adhering to the ICAO AIP structure, includes a graphical portrayal of the location of radar head sites at AIM, Section 5, fig 4-5-5.

aterpster
6th Jan 2013, 17:01
DaveUK:

I'm pretty sure that information is available under the FOIA, though as the OP says it's probably reasonable to assume that almost all of CONUS does have radar coverage.
Possibly. But, the FAA wheel that holds those records told us an FOIA request would likely be denied based on so-called national security interests.

aterpster
6th Jan 2013, 17:05
Spitoon:

The US, although not adhering to the ICAO AIP structure, includes a graphical portrayal of the location of radar head sites at AIM, Section 5, fig 4-5-5.

Those are terminal (approach control) radar sites. They are publicly available unlike en route radar sites.

It seems they suddenly became fearful that terrorists would find en route radar sites and blow them up, or something.

OTHO, most airport radar sites are on airport in secure areas.