PDA

View Full Version : Duke of Edinburgh Award pilot employment chances?

EZY_FR
5th Jan 2013, 22:09
I was wondering how much of a benefit to have this award towards competitive schemes such as BA FPP, Flybe Wings etc.

RTN11
6th Jan 2013, 01:27
Almost none.

Stocious
6th Jan 2013, 07:06
As an award itself I wouldn't say very much.

Doing it will however will give you experiences that you probably haven't done before and could be beneficial for providing interview examples of communication skills, teamwork, leadership, motivation etc.

mad_jock
6th Jan 2013, 07:35
Well I would say it all depends on who is looking at your CV.

If your faced with a hundred CV's all virtually the same but for small things such as DoE,Queens Scout and other such awards for actually doing something it may help.

Also if the person reading it went through the scheme or a child has as well it may give you the 50/50 edge.

As posters have said though it will give you ammunition in interview to use to show certain personality trates.

All these things are good fun so even if it doesn't help its nothing lost> Would definately mention it.

MaydayMaydayMayday
6th Jan 2013, 16:22
I suppose perhaps it's another indication of having a bit of get up and go, undertaking and improving your abilities in a range of pursuits both on your own and in a team. That said, I don't recall there being anywhere on the FPP application where it would have been appropriate to include it, unless perhaps you showed particular leadership abilities during an aspect of the expedition and could use it for examples. :)

EZY_FR
6th Jan 2013, 17:21
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the posts so far. I knew that just having the award will get you nowhere, I just wanted to know if the experiences gained would be beneficial for that elusive interview with the airline.

Darth_Bovine
7th Jan 2013, 07:50
Hi,

As others have said use it as an pool of experiences to draw from. I've done the award myself (too many years ago) and know that at early interviews it gave me much more stuff to talk about than someone who had just plodded through school doing the usual stuff.

Take each part of the award and try to list a few things in each section that show desirable qualities, like: leadership, teamwork and other skills you might have picked up. Then practice talking about those skills to someone. It'll be good practice for an interview.

For what it's worth: if I was sifting through CVs I would certainly give extra "points" for someone who has DoE or similar.