PDA

View Full Version : Hour building February

julie67
5th Jan 2013, 13:51
I am looking to complete 70 hours hour building during February. So far most of my flying has been done in Florida, so I would like to complete these hours in Europe. Any recommendations?

RTN11
5th Jan 2013, 16:08
What's your budget?

I did mine in Bournemouth, there used to be a lot of schools there so you could negotiate good terms if you knew you were going to fly bulk hours, they even let you take the aircraft away for a couple of weeks if you wanted to tour around, knowing that you'd be putting the hours on it they wanted.

julie67
5th Jan 2013, 17:05
I just want to get it done in a short a time as possible as cheaply as possible. I realise February is not the best month for the UK, so I am willing to look further afield.

portos8
5th Jan 2013, 20:41
I did some of my training in Poland. Cheap definately and the organisation I did it with was great but the weather can be a bit hit and miss over there. 70 hours in one month is pushing it, anywhere.... PM me if you want more info.

zondaracer
5th Jan 2013, 21:15
Try fly in Spain. Year round flying, have a friend who went there and was flying 6 hours a day. Prices are also really good.

flystrathclyde
5th Jan 2013, 22:14
Maybe not the best option for easy, perfect weather hour building.

BUT, you will get some great experience and a good preparation for further training.

And it can be done quite cheaply!

mad_jock
6th Jan 2013, 09:31
I would second scotland.

Someof the best wx is actually in winter. 60k viz low wind. And the scenery is spectacular.

Linked in as well with it being low season you can get accom quite cheap.

Inverness, Prestwick both have there own micro climate and if the east coast is horrible the west will be fine and the other way around. There will be the occassional pub day but not often.

Getting up from the South to the North is actually quite cheap if you book a couple of weeks in advance with both Flybe and Easyjet.

70 hours in 28 days is going to be a bit hard to do where ever you go. And thats even with perfect wx. Personally I would split it into 2 2 week blocks in different locations. Maybe one in scotland and one in spain. On the US side of things there are companys which will let you out of state with the aircraft how about from coast to coast below the snow line?.

julie67
6th Jan 2013, 11:50
Thanks for all the ideas. Will maybe look at 2 x 2 week blocks.

cefey
6th Jan 2013, 16:20
Aviator college at Ft Pierce. I doubt you find anything much cheaper.
It is decently big school as well, what is imo a good thing.

Ill be there in feb;)

mad_jock
6th Jan 2013, 19:34
If you already have all your tickets for flying in the states don't go to a big school go to some small outfit that can give you sole use of a plane for the period your there.

B2N2
7th Jan 2013, 12:59
Aviator college at Ft Pierce. I doubt you find anything much cheaper.
It is decently big school as well, what is imo a good thing.

Flight students will have preference over time builders.

packo1848
18th Jan 2013, 15:38
Hi all,

I have 2/3 weeks in March in which I am looking to head across to the continent and complete a portion of my hour building (probably around 30 hours). I have 2 options in mind:

- Visit some friends in the South of France
- Fly through France, Belgium/Luxembourg and into Germany.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me some constructive advice as to any pitfalls I may encounter, for example:

- Any unusual customs/border crossing procedures (I heard there was one such procedure for crossing into Germany)
- Airport Charges; Fuel, Landing Fees, Parking etc. Is there anywhere these are overpriced? Also I believe Luxembourg is cheap for motor fuel, is the same true of AVGAS?
- Any areas which may be wise to avoid for whatever reason; localised bad weather at this time of year, language barriers (e.g. when looking for somewhere to sleep for the night) etc.

All suggestions gratefully received, I was also considering Scotland having read previous comments on this thread.

500 above
18th Jan 2013, 20:47
Try Cyprus. Pafos in Feb is not so bad.