PDA

View Full Version : PNG Question

Foggy Bottom
5th Jan 2013, 13:31
Any operators in PNG using "N" registered aircraft?

spinwing
5th Jan 2013, 13:50
Mmmmm ...

I have a suspicion that is no longer allowed by PNG authorities ...

I do remember that when I escaped from the place in '91 that all of the 'Columbia' Vertols were then carrying P2- registrations having been allowed for some time to remain on their N- registrations ...

It is possible (?) that for 'short term' contracts some a/c may be allowed to remain on their home registrations but I'm really not sure about that !!

Cheers

gulliBell
5th Jan 2013, 14:10
As far as I know the McDermott B214 carried a N- registration in PNG for much longer than ordinarily allowed, but now it's on P2? I do know of several other helicopters that have arrived in-country with N- but they have been changed to P2 prior to starting commercial ops.

BigMike
6th Jan 2013, 00:12
You are able to use foreign registered aircraft for up to 6 months on an PNG AOC, then it must be exported, or "P2"ed. Rule 119.107. The interpretation of the rules will depend on who you talk to at CASA PNG though... ;)

Night Beetle
6th Jan 2013, 01:26
What about Part 129 Overseas ac working on a local AOC?

Hueytiger
6th Jan 2013, 12:18
Big Mike is right. Up to 6 month with sometimes an extension of another 6 months. It's called "Wet lease".

Foggy Bottom
6th Jan 2013, 12:20
Does the DGCA (or whatever it is called in PNG) allow for flying beyond age 65?

spinwing
6th Jan 2013, 14:32
Mmmmmm ...

YES ... they do.

Night Beetle
6th Jan 2013, 18:50
hueytiger rubbish check this out www. casapng.gov.pg part 129

topendtorque
6th Jan 2013, 21:19
Years ago I used frequent Cairns a fair bit, oft one would see foreign owned Mil's or other large machines there.

My host one day who used to fly Fixed wings a lot up there explained it was to beat the import duty, which would be due if they resided longer than six months. All sorts of machines, not just helicopters. Regs obviously written to accommodate it.

BigMike
6th Jan 2013, 23:30
"hueytiger rubbish check this out www. casapng.gov.pg part 129 "

Part 129 refers to overseas operators.... not aircraft as such. If you have a Foreign AOC, you may operate in and out of PNG, ie Qantas Link, but not domestically.
Part 119, rule 119.107 refers to PNG AOC holders using foreign registered aircraft for short periods. The elections are a good example. This may be under a dry or wet lease arrangement.
Part 119 is the rules regarding PNG AOC holders.

Night Beetle
7th Jan 2013, 00:22
My most humble apologies Hueytiger I have read both Parts now.

My mind was into the 214's operating in PNG under someone else's PNG AOC:O

Semi Rigid
7th Jan 2013, 05:00
So how do McDermotts keep their aircraft on the N register for so long in PNG, NZ, Aussie, Noumea?
Hevilift & Heliniugini had their Mi8's on the Moldovan & Russian register for eon's as did Heli Harvest from NZ.

spinwing
7th Jan 2013, 10:01
Mmmm ...

....So how do McDermotts keep their aircraft on the N register for so long in PNG, NZ, Aussie, Noumea?....

More than likely their aircraft do not stay in PNG for more than the allotted 6 months ... perhaps they swap out aircraft as necessary to maintain their status quo ...

Some owners also (effectively) run 2 sets of aircraft (& maintenance)logs to allow for easy CoA and CoReg changes ... this is very practical and when you have engineers with the appropriate coverage very easy to achieve .... so why not !!

:ok:

gulliBell
8th Jan 2013, 03:42
....just one of the many mysteries of operating in PNG my fren, sometimes there is a legitimate explanation, sometimes not :O

snotcicles
8th Jan 2013, 03:53
I think the reason that Mcd's 214's are N registered is that there is no type certificate for the 214B in Australia.

Hueytiger
8th Jan 2013, 04:33
.....no worries, sometimes I shoot from the Hip as well ;-)

spinwing
8th Jan 2013, 05:21
Mmmm ...

..... I think the reason that Mcd's 214's are N registered is that there is no type certificate for the 214B in Australia. ...

I don't think that is a requirement any more ... I think (?) legislative changes (EASA?) now allow registration of aircraft based on approved foreign type certification ... and as the Bell 214B has been approved in both Canada and USA that should not be an issue ....

The reality is more like because the machines came from an Ex Mil background (Oman?) some of the bits might not be civillian Kosher ... and thus N reg Restricted category is the go !!

BTW the Bell 214ST has perviously been on the Aus Register as a fully Public Transport Certified aircraft so that is not an issue for that type.

:hmm:

fadecdegraded
8th Jan 2013, 05:25
There are Mcds 214s on the ZK and P2 register now

R.OCKAPE
8th Jan 2013, 05:31
the 214's are only P2 and N registered now....

you're welcome...

Waghi Warrior
8th Jan 2013, 09:17
Sad fact is that CASA PNG has double standards. One inspector says one thing and the next will say something else, and to complicate things if there is any political influence the rules go out the window. Ala Bell 214s, Mil 8s, Kamovs and numerous FW machines.

Very unfair state of affairs! Sad thing is it will never change :ugh:

R.OCKAPE
8th Jan 2013, 10:22
whagi warrior

McDermotts has three of his Bell 214's on the PNG P2 register

whats the problem ?

Waghi Warrior
8th Jan 2013, 20:47
The McDermott 214s were operating on foreign regos in PNG for a lot longer than they should have as per the 6 month maximum that Big Mike has made mention of. It's the law. Not having a shot at McDermott's or anyone else for that matter, and to be honest good on them for being able to get away with it for longer than stipulated in the rules. It's just disappointing that CASA appear to have double standards.

justinga
9th Jan 2013, 13:43
Just my thoughts (and they have been so wrong so many times). PNG regs state the the truth will only ever be known between The Operator and CASA as long as The Operator tells the AOC holder some of the truth, some of the time but only ever discussed at CASA board meetings on The Gold Coast or Cairns

inmate
10th Jan 2013, 18:49
Who has taken over the reigns of the Rotory/Helicopter side of the CAA since Milroy departed?