PDA

View Full Version : cheap or expensive school

SZUTAR
4th Jan 2013, 21:45
I would like to know your opinion what would you do if....??

You could go in this moment to a cheap and not known flight school for about 45 000 euro

Or..

Wait for about 2-3 yers being not sure that you will colect 100 000 for the dream of Oxford

What would you do??:O

appfo09
4th Jan 2013, 22:03
Don't even bother starting with commercial pilot training.

If you can't resist and you are so desperate to start do it wherever is cheap.
But, I suggest it is not the right time to start a self sponsored route.

Best option is to wait until companies start looking for cadet pilots so if you are lucky and selected by an airline at least you will be in a safer position rather than spending all this money yourself with no promising future afterwards.

Think about it carefully and please don't only stick on my opinion.

MartinCh
4th Jan 2013, 22:42
What about doing comm class medical and basic PPL or part of it, just to make sure it's what you want?and can get - medically fit. Or if you want to fly only shiny jets, those 200-250hrs of pistons would be burdensome, but unavoidable pain, like for some.

Economically, the overpriced integrated doesn't make sense either, but at least you're planning to have saved up funds for it. Oh, and yes, not best time to train, but better than 3-4 years ago.

PS: I think it's wrong section of pprune. You're not asking about jobs, but pro pilot training.

4redsyourdead
5th Jan 2013, 00:37
Most expensive does not necessarily mean the best. Go to the school that's got the best reputation for training. I would go to the school that provides the best training and not just a so called ' designer brand '. Teaching wise I've heard lots of negative opinions of Oxford more the American side of things so be wise and visit the schools , talk to their students and don't be fooled by marketing. I went to a very reasonably priced school and spent half what my colleagues doing the same job at the same company did.

RTN11
5th Jan 2013, 00:45
Even the cheap way doesn't mean a thing.

Coming out of flight school with a CPL + IR (or fATPL) will be near useless in today's market without funds for a type rating, or instructor rating, or something else to further your career.

So if you really can't afford it, and that includes the potential for 2-3 years after training earning little or no money, then I wouldn't recommend you start.