PDA

View Full Version : ICELAND - amazing SAR operation

Vertical751
4th Jan 2013, 09:49
I don´t know if this has been posted already... but, even so, always worth a look.

It reminds me of one quote: "Flying! Because Soccer, Baseball, Rugby, golf and tennis only requires ONE BALL!"

Check link below:
Video-Impresionante rescate de la guardia costera de Islandia | Helimer (http://www.helimer.es/content/video-impresionante-rescate-de-la-guardia-costera-de-islandia)

http://www.helimer.es/sites/default/files/images/icg1.jpg

Max Shutterspeed
4th Jan 2013, 11:03
Only being an English speaker, what was the reason for the rescue? Assume it was bloody important, given the perceived risk from my chicken **** viewpoint...

MS

500e
4th Jan 2013, 11:46
Helimer | Helicópteros de Salvamento Marítimo (http://www.helimer.es/)

rescates | Helimer (http://www.helimer.es/tags/rescates)

Helinut
4th Jan 2013, 11:53
Looking at the linked video, it looks like the walking casualty had a broken arm. An interesting risk decision point?

Al-bert
4th Jan 2013, 14:38
@ OP - Pretty standard stuff actually, and not a very good 'overhead' for winchman recovery either - and it was daylight! :=

Offshorebear
4th Jan 2013, 15:13
Absolute madness if it was only a broken arm he had sustained, didn't look particularly unwell otherwise ..............

Al-bert
4th Jan 2013, 15:26
OSB - why madness? We used to train in those conditions, and at night. :cool:

MightyGem
4th Jan 2013, 16:11
Absolute madness if it was only a broken arm he had sustained,Not if it was an open/compound fracture.

I take it that that was a hi-line transfer?

Vie sans frontieres
4th Jan 2013, 16:12
Come on Al-bert, credit where credit's due. The guys did well and it took guts to go down on a deck like that. Could you acknowledge that from the comfort of your armchair? The fact that you and others have trained in similar conditions is of no consequence.

So what if they were out of the overhead. They had a hi-line and the freeboard was sufficiently high that no-one got their feet wet when they swung out. I'm sure the last thing on the winch operator's mind was the cable angle. He just wanted the casualty and his mate off the deck safely and that's what was achieved.

Did the rearcrew on the two helicopters draw straws to decide who would have the pleasure? Well done lads. :ok:

Vertical751
4th Jan 2013, 16:22
:ok::ok::ok:

Al-bert
4th Jan 2013, 18:18
VSF...not criticising the sarboys, during my 22 years I have pulled many a winchman off (not what you're thinking :8) out of the overhead. I was just disputing that it "was amazing". It was standard, hi line and all! Nor was it madness for 'just a broken arm'. It's what sarbuoys do :ok:

Offshorebear
5th Jan 2013, 06:24
Not if it was an open/compound fracture

Fully appreciate that you SAR boys love and are trained for 'sporty' rescues but IMO to be called out for that in those conditions is mad.

People don't die of broken arms (even compound ones) winchmen sustaining blunt trauma when slammed against a ship's superstructure could ............

5th Jan 2013, 10:36
OSB - the doctors onshore (who are the ones who make the decisions since few vessels have their own on board) will always err on the side of caution when there is a medical emergency at sea.

We also do not know the actual extent of his injuries nor any other medical condition he might be suffering from (and he's not the youngest of seamen either so that might have played a part in the decision).

The reason we train hard is so that this sort of stuff is routine, even if it looks dangerous and impressive to onlookers and is also an explanation of why winchmen are volunteers.

My only (minor) criticism would be that the winchman probably should have come up with the stretcher - just in case they ended up in the water, as a casualty with a broken arm strapped into a stretcher has no chance of survival if the winch malfunctions or the aircraft has a problem requiring the cable to be cut. However, that would require the vessel's crew to be trusted managing the hi-line during the recovery.

Nice to be able to have enough assets to send a second helicopter and a fixed wing for top cover!

karabiner
5th Jan 2013, 11:49
Good Point crab re Winchman and Stretcher.

Al-bert
5th Jan 2013, 12:06
:*I'd missed the 'solo stretcher lift' (I'd already got bored by then and skipped to the end) but assumed that that was what happened when the winchman departed (well out of vertical) at the end. As Crab says, not a great idea unless absolutely the only option - I don't remember ever having to risk a casualty in that fashion but I know of at least one fatal accident occurring because of it and @VSF, it's always risky to depart so far out of the vertical. I learned that at a very early stage of my sar career when the wire snagged a bit of wessex u/c, the nav winched in, and the cable parted. Luckily it was only training off HH harbour and the winchman was only D.L! :E

Al-bert
5th Jan 2013, 12:16
Nice to be able to have enough assets to send a second helicopter!

used to be standard RN practice Crab, wait for the camera crew! :}