PDA

View Full Version : Working Holiday in Australia

kakuiwong
4th Jan 2013, 04:05
I am having a gap year here before going back to my home country to find job. I am looking for a job related to aviation. Did anyone tried to get a job here in Australia related to aviation? Hope I can get help from u all. Thank you and Happy New year

MartinCh
4th Jan 2013, 22:52
If talking job as an airplane pilot, it may be worth trying contacting some C206 etc operators 'up North'. Ideally in person. You may be bit late for the start of summer, but some may hire for the 'dry' season later whenever that is. This may or may not work due to local pilot supply, but many Aussies mention elsewhere on pprune or online that not all the cityboys from Mel or Sydney actually want to 'muck in' up North or in bush.

You may come across xenophobic statements (or their mild, 'own labour protection' verbiage form) from some, but better bet would be actually scroll down on homepage of pprune and 'Dununda and Godzone' GA section. I'm sure you can decode the meaning of these words, having been in Australia. You need to be more specific, too, what kind of work and roughly your credentials for better pointers. Have fun.

Old Akro
4th Jan 2013, 23:39
I'm assuming GAP year is after year 12 before uni, pilot training or something else. In which case you will be 18-ish.

A gap year is a good thing to do. Australia is a good place to do it. Depending on what country you are in, it is easy to get a working VISA while you are young (under 25 I think, but I'm not sure).

I presume you want a job related to aviation because it interests you as a career and you want to learn more about the industry.

For someone young and unqualified seeking casual work, the typical things are going to be hospitality and rural / remote areas will be easier than the city. In an aviation environment I'm struggling to think where you'd fit. The airlines, etc are unlikely to take someone short term & foreign and the small companies are too tightly run to have someone who is not fully productive. Airside work will almost certainly need a security clearance which is likely to take 3 months (depending a little on your country).

I think you might be better to take the work you can get and mess around at airports on weekends. Someone else might have a better idea.

TopGunTrev
5th Jan 2013, 00:28
You'll have a much better chance in one of the tourist-orientated places in northern Australia. Maybe Cairns, Townsville or Darwin.

Some experiences with a 200-series Cessna would help.

zappalin
5th Jan 2013, 04:03
Main problem I see is that the working holiday visa only allows you to work at a place for 6 months maximum. Not too many operators will be willing to hire someone knowing they HAVE to leave after then - if they stay that long at all.

On the other hand, plenty of places with scenic etc operators where 6 months may be the entire season...

Good luck!