PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL H Student - What books are best?

Gosa
30th Oct 2009, 23:02
Hi,

I'm going to order the following books from Trevor Thom to study the theory for PPL(H):
Volume II Aviation Law and Meteorology
Volume III Air Navigation
Volume V Radio Navigation and Instrument Flying
Volume VI Human Factors and Pilot Performance
Volume VII Communications (if required for the issue of the FRTOL)
Plus Helicopter Questions and Answers for the PPL (Vol. 3)
Probably I'll buy the PPL Confuser too.

I'm not going to any school for the theory so I'm going to study at home.
Do I start with Aviation Law then with Air Navigation and so on.
(chronological as listed above)
Or is it best to follow another specific order?
Any other tips are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

Greets,

Gosa

Johe02
31st Oct 2009, 10:28
Start with Air Law and then go fly 10 hours :8

Whirlygig
31st Oct 2009, 10:41
You don't need Vol 5 for PPL. You will also need something on Principles of Flight (recommend Wagtendonk) and something for the technical paper, Thom Vol 4 covers most of it and the two Normal Bailey books cover the rest (although they are drier than Thom :}).

Cheers

Whirls

topendtorque
31st Oct 2009, 11:22
Many of us have studied at home for such, but what is intrigueing is that most of us did it with some guidance from a friendly CFI in our local flying school.
Are you doing this as a prelude to going overseas for the practical?
If not I would recommend that you talk with your local bloke, as after all you will need to establish a close and trusting relationship with him (or her) for the practical when you are ready.

As Johe02 states, studying too much theory without the practical to back it up will make it harder.
all the best tet

Gosa
1st Nov 2009, 15:34
Thank you all for replying.

@Johe02:
I'll start then with Aviation Law.
I bought an old edition of the book(1996). Didn't look at the date on ebay. Silly me. :ugh:
I was a bit too eager to start.
I'll just have to look better next time.

@Whirlygig:
I just copy pasted the publications that Bristow Academy recommended. Are you sure that I don't need Vol 5. for PPL(H)?
About Principles of Helicopter Flight you are right. It was even mentioned by BA but I didn't see it (paragraph later)
I'm defenitly going to buy it. When would it be a good time to start with that book?

@topendtorque: You guessed correctly. I live in Belgium and I'd like to go to BA next summer for the JAA PPL(H) training. But since I have only 2 months of vacation I thought I would do the theoretical exams before I go so I can concentrate on the flying part cause I'd like to complete the course in a (max) 2 months.
You brought a very good point about knowing a CFI and as it happens I know someone who is not really a CFI cause he only has the PPL(H), but he tutors people in private. He helps a Flying school out by teaching students in private that needs some guidance for the theory.
The theory in the UK and Belgium might differ a bit. Hopefully not too much so my friend will still be able to help me on the common theory parts.

I saw that there are also CD-ROM's available from Oxford Aviation Academy (OAAmedia interactive Training) OATmedia Products (http://www.oatmedia.com/products.asp?cat=22)
Do you think it would be a good idea to get them?

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2009, 20:58
If Vol 5 is the Radio Nav one, then you don't need it; you may want it but I managed without easily :} The radio nav covered at PPL is very basic and your instructor will explain all you need plus Vol 3 Nav has the basics as well.

Cheers

Whirls

Gosa
1st Nov 2009, 21:18
Thank you Whirls!

That'll spare me one book but I think I'll get Thom Vol 4 like you suggested before and I'll have to take a look at the two Norman Bailey books as well.

I have acquired an old version of Aviation Law Meteorlogy (Vol 2 - 1996) and I just started reading it until I get the new books.

I'm still intrigued by Principles of Helicopter Flight.(the title sounds interesting to me) Could I start reading that too or won't I understand a thing until I've read Thom Trevor's other books?

Whirlygig
1st Nov 2009, 22:15
That Air Law book you've got is out of date for JAA - just be aware of that but the Meteorology section is the same.

Wagtendonk (google him) is, in my mind, a very readable book and will see you in good stead for CPL as well - no harm in getting to grips with it.

Another book you may be interested in (given I've saved you the expense of Vol 5) is Learning to Fly Helicopters but Randall Padfield. I read it even before I started by PPL flying - very readable indeed.

Personally, I think there's no harm in doing as much reading as you can - some aspects may not make much sense until you've accumulated a few hours but they will and you can always ask.

Cheers

Whirls

Pandalet
2nd Nov 2009, 10:50
Alternately, you could pick up Phil Croucher's PPL book, which covers the whole lot in one go, specifically aimed at helicopters. I believe Transair (among others) stock it.

Also, you don't need the RT book - just download a copy of CAP413 from the CAA (it's free). If you can find a copy of the Jean-Pierre Harrison PoF book, I prefer it to Wagtendonk, but they're hard to come by these days, as it's been out of print for some time now.

stringfellow
2nd Nov 2009, 21:52
the randall padfield book is a brilliant read,,, really down to earth it covers all topics. its best feature is its simplicity and is easy reading.... the perfect book to get you started. i found it long after my ppl and wished id owned it sooner.

dont spend loads of money on books like i did you are welcome to borrow them, i have lots of the cd roms too..... i never used them as they bored me to death.

out of interest i did my ppl at bristow.... 2 months is a squeeze but quite achievable assuming you pass all exams prior to starting there. i did my ground exams at a ground school.... books bore me senseless whereas a teacher seemed the way foreward...

there is lots of help out there keep asking!!!!

Rotordad
3rd Jan 2013, 13:58
Hi all,
I'm in the process of learning to fly with some 14 hours so far with an R22.
Really great stuuff and loads of fun...!!!
I want to now start studying for the ground exams, of which I understand there are 7 areas. I'd like recommendatios on what books to buy that will help me?
There are loads on Amazon most reflect fixed wing. I suspect they are sufficient for areas such as air law, navaigation etc - but would like confirmation before shelling out.

Any views from those that have???

Many thanks

tony 1969
4th Jan 2013, 18:07
Schweizer 300 CBi PPL(H) Study Guide (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Schweizer-300-CBi-PPLH-Study-Guide+2634)

This covers all the exercises, written for the 300 but very relevant for the 22 also.

USL-Toad
6th Jan 2013, 15:49
Would highly recommend this as an alternative to Wagdendonk. Simple, clear and certainly gives students a head start.

Helicopter Aerodynamics Made Simple: Well... Relatively Simple!:Amazon:Books

pplh
6th Jan 2013, 22:44
I used Trevor Thom's Air Pilot's Manuals - these cover most of the exams.

Also highly recommend 'The PPL Confuser' - this has questions from nearly all of the exams that are slightly unbelievably similar to the actual exam questions. On a couple of occasions I actually knew the answer to an exam question just by remembering the answer I had chosen when practising in the PPL Confuser i.e, the question was identical and even the order of the multiple choice options was identical!

This combination got me through all of the exams first time. The only one I struggled on slightly was the helicopter technical. When I did this a few years ago I couldn't really find a thorough book to prep for the exam, although the link in the post above might be a start.

For a bit of extra radiotelephony help (particularly the practical test) have a Google for CAP 413 from the CAA, you can download this for free on the web.

Don't be too concerned about some books referring 'only' to fixed wing - as far as I'm aware all of the exams apart from the helicopter technical are general across any PPL license, be it fixed wing or rotary.

paco
7th Jan 2013, 07:29
Check out the big books ad on the right - there are better products than the confuser which is a) full of mistakes and b) out of date.

Also there are helicopter ppl books out there with everything you need in one book.

Phil

pplh
7th Jan 2013, 07:51
Phil, when you say 'everything you need in one book' are you referring to all the exams? i.e everything from Aviation Law to Meteorology to Navigation all specifically for helicopters.
If so I'd be interested in having a look if you know of one in particular?

Thanks.

paco
7th Jan 2013, 11:33
Absolutely! It's called Private Helicopter Pilot Studies (by, er, me! :)) and you probably also want the PPL Q&A book, which is for aeroplanes and helicopters. It is a cut-down version of our professional course, so it is especially useful for those going on to be professionals later.

Pilot Training & Ground Studies - Electrocution's Aviation Books (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation)

All available from Transair/Pooleys etc, but the absolute latest is from the website

Phil

pplh
7th Jan 2013, 11:46
That combination looks great Phil, I'm sure Rotordad will find them very helpful... especially as he now knows how to contact the author directly with any questions or queries! :}

Rotordad
7th Jan 2013, 16:17
Great recommendations - thanks all - suggest some will benefit more than others from my order to be placed shortly...:ok:

Whirlygig
8th Jan 2013, 13:26
Trevor Thom saw me through about 10 years ago but if I were to do the exams again, I'd go for Phil's book now. I found the fixed wing stance of many of the PPL books confusing and difficult as I had never flown fixed wing (still haven't) and anything that is helicopter specific would be preferable in my book :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

NearlyPPL
9th Feb 2013, 07:56
I can recomend this one, Nice and clear and easy to follow.

Schweizer 300 CBi PPL(H) Study Guide (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Schweizer-300-CBi-PPLH-Study-Guide+2634)

They pop up on ebay,
Good luck with your training :D

Sloppy Link
10th Feb 2013, 20:43
Chickenhawk by Robert Mason.

Dynasty375
10th Feb 2013, 21:17
Hi Gosa,

I'm a big fan of Phil Croucher's books in general. Good illustrations and enjoyable to read and I don't think you'll go wrong basing your study around his PPL book.

That Padfield book somebody mentioned was also good.

I also got all three of Norman Baileys books! Well worth it!

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the PPL confuser. Get stuck into whatever book you choose and that should be more than enough to assure a pass!

Best of luck!!

:)

lady in red
11th Feb 2013, 21:56
Amazing how everyone still refers to the Air Pilot Manuals as Trevor Thom, when he has had no input for many many years. His name is not even on the books any more! May I just point out that the books are updated every year in the case of the Air Law and Technical and almost every year in the case of the other volumes. They are currently being conformed to EASA, so it is really important to buy the correct up to date edition not an old copy! If you buy an edition where the editor was still Trevor Thom it will be more than a decade out of date!

Ascend Charlie
12th Feb 2013, 01:11
Also have a look at Cyclic and Collective by our very own Shawn Coyle - get a very practical viewpoint, from a test pilot and experienced operator.

ISBN 0-9726368-0-3

paco
12th Feb 2013, 16:39
The Thom books used to be edited by Pete Godwin if I remember correctly - but they still don't cover helicopters!

Phil

KNIEVEL77
15th Aug 2013, 08:50
I'm still trying to locate a copy of Principles of Helicopter Flight Aerodynamics by Jean Pierre Harrison if anyone knows of one for sale anywhere.

paco
15th Aug 2013, 10:32
It's very rare - it occasionally comes up on Amazon - my signed copy is chained down....:)

As a matter of interest, in response to the poster above, my PPL books are now ready for the new 100 hour syllabus, as is the Q & A book.

Phil

KNIEVEL77
15th Aug 2013, 15:06
There certainly hasn't been one on Amazon UK or Ebay UK for quite some time now!

PPLHing
13th Jan 2023, 15:08
Hi guys,

I read some threads with regards to books we need to study for the PPL(H). In 2023, which books would you suggest reading to pass all of the written and practical exams first time ?

Would you advise to take all of the written exams before touching a helicopter ?

Hughes500
14th Jan 2023, 07:47
Phil Crouchers PPL studies is probably the best, not perfect but covers it
Do the exams as you go along that way the briefings you get from your instructor will put context on it.
Personally I would start with the following as you go through to solo air law, helicopter general and principle of flight

paco
14th Jan 2023, 07:51
It is helpful to fly while you are studying. Practical exams will be dealt with by your flight school, but they tend to leave you alone for the ground school, in which case you need something that's easily studied. If the mods will allow me to mention it, my PPL books contain everything you need to know, plus a bit more, and can be obtained from here. (http://www.electrocution.com/#PPLH)

Two's in
14th Jan 2023, 15:01
Also try and get some example questions for the tests and then go back to the books. The material in the books has far more context and granularity if you are trying to answer a specific question, rather than just trying to absorb everything. It also helps frame some of that knowledge into a more practical scenario, but be advised, some of it may never be practical!

PPLHing
14th Jan 2023, 15:11
I got myself all 7 volumes of the Pooleys PPL books. Is it still worth going through them for the PPL(H) or should I just solely focus on the Professional Helicopter Pilot studies Part 1 & 2 by Phil Croucher ?

paco
15th Jan 2023, 10:25
That's a bit overkill for the PPL - there is a private version based on them.

PPLHing
15th Jan 2023, 10:56
I see. Thank you for your answers.
I am now wondering
- how much of a difference there is between the 9 written exams of the PPL versus the ones of the PPL(H) ?
- as I will definitely use the PPL studies from Phil Croucher parts 1 & 2, what can I use to plug the knowledge holes ?
- is there a massive question bank out there you recommand ?

paco
16th Jan 2023, 06:31
13 exams for the ATP and a whole lot of extra BS
The PPL book is in one volume only, and there are no knowledge holes as I wrote the syllabus for the helicopter exams. Can be obtained from amazon.
www.rtfq.org for helicopters

PPLHing
16th Jan 2023, 12:48
13 exams for the ATP and a whole lot of extra BS
The PPL book is in one volume only, and there are no knowledge holes as I wrote the syllabus for the helicopter exams. Can be obtained from amazon.
www.rtfq.org for helicopters

Thank you so much Mr Croucher for your insight, I'll get the book today !