PDA

View Full Version : Murray wilkinson RIP A great loss

Rotor one
3rd Jan 2013, 11:39
THE Queensland man caught up in a seemingly random violent attack in New Zealand on New Year's Day has died of his injuries.

The 64-year-old man has been identified as Robert Murray Wilkinson by police.

More police have been called into the beach town, Waihi Beach, as the case heightens to a homicide.

Queensland-based Mr Wilkinson died from his injuries at Waikato Hospital on Thursday afternoon after spending days in the hospital’s intensive care unit.

Investigators have to deal with a fluctuating tourist population as they investigate the homicide.

Tourists, who can see the town's population swell from 3000 to 16,000, have been stopped outside Waihi Beach as police look for information and even photos that may contain clues.

But police are facing extra challenges as another wave of tourists are expected to hit the coastal town for another rock concert, the Waihi Beach Hotel Summer Festival.

Police said Mr Wilkinson's wife was understandably "traumatised'' by the early morning attack, which happened when the couple heard a noise outside their caravan and went to investigate.

The Australian couple, who lived in New Zealand before moving to Queensland, were staying in the caravan in front of a friend's home on Beach Road.

"They had been friends for eons and the couple usually come over every year,'' local Bill Ward said.

"Before the tragedy they had been playing the spoons - as in the musical one - on the balcony. They had a really good evening.''

Mr Ward said the attack, which police have said appears to be random, had shaken the tight-knit community.

"It happens in other communities but when it happens in your own you realise how vulnerable (your community) is,'' he said.

Police are door-knocking locals and have also set up a van in the town, asking any tourists who have taken photos from the scene to step forward.

A New Zealand police spokesman said many people had come forward to help with the investigation.

The weapon, believed to be a knife, has not yet been found.

What Red Line?
4th Jan 2013, 04:49
Yes, it a sad loss and my thoughts and sympathies go to his family. Murray was one of the good guys.

It seems ironic that a guy can survive for years in PNG where little law exists, yet gets ambushed and killed by some cowardly ba$tard/s in a small town in New Zealand. Let's hope that the NZ police find them.

Savoia
4th Jan 2013, 07:19
What a terrible tragedy.

My sincere condolences to Murray's family.

Many-a-time did he tend the craft I used to fly in PNG.

He was a first class mechanic with a wonderfully dry sense of humour. (If I remember rightly he used to fly Pacific's Baron about while making his maintenance calls).

A very sad ending .. what a world we live in!

Rotor one
4th Jan 2013, 10:56
There will be a service in brisbane to remember Murray will post details when confirmed

Dusty Dog
6th Jan 2013, 05:17
I was lucky enough to know Murray both professionally and socially, both in PNG and Australia. Excellent engineer and all round nice guy. He never had a bad word to say about anyone and was always smiling.
My thoughts are with Lou and his family.
RIP mate
DD

The Pheonix
9th Jan 2013, 05:51
Arrest over death of Aust resident in NZ
7:05am January 9, 2013

An 18-year-old man has been charged with murder over the New Year's Day stabbing of an Australian resident in New Zealand.

The teenager was arrested on Tuesday afternoon and will appear in Hamilton District Court on Wednesday charged with the murder of 64-year-old Murray Wilkinson, police say.

Mr Wilkinson, an expatriate New Zealander living in Queensland, died in Waikato Hospital two days after he was stabbed while investigating a disturbance outside the caravan he and his wife were staying in at Waihi Beach.

Detective Inspector Chris Page says building the investigation to the point where an arrest could be made is reflective of the significant support received from the public.

"One of most significant things to result from this arrest so far was the opportunity to inform Mr Wilkinson's family that an arrest has been made," he said.

Police said on Tuesday there were a number of drunk teenagers in the area at the time of the stabbing and they were going through hundreds of photos supplied by the public following the attack.

Det Page said there were several incidents of assaults and disorder in the area on the night and several knives had been handed to police.

Hopefully this news might bring some comfort to those who knew this gentleman.

The Pheonix

Dusty Dog
18th Jan 2013, 21:38
Rec'd this notification yesterday from Murrays wife, Lu.

Thank you all for your wishes to Dan, Cory and myself.

DATE: SATURDAY, 2 FEBRUARY 2013

TIME: 1.00 PM - 3 PM

AT: KENMORE TAVERN, MOGGILL ROAD, KENMORE, BRISBANE

PLEASE NO FLOWERS.

Regards Dusty Dog