PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Expiry

Prawn2king4
3rd Jan 2013, 04:37
I think there was a thread on this subject a while ago, but cannot find it...

I've bought a long haul ticket with BA on my card, which is due to expire at the end of this month. Because I am not currently residing at my UK home address I am unable to collect any replacement card until after my flight.

The flight is on 01 Feb.

If I am asked to produce the card at check in on the day of the flight, does the fact that it will have expired have any effect on the check in process?

Tableview
3rd Jan 2013, 06:03
No, it's only to prevent fraud.

frequentflyer100
14th Jan 2013, 09:47
Since you already paid for the ticket and the card was good at the moment of payment, you do not need to worry

Malone
15th Jan 2013, 12:27
I think that you will need to have the actual card with you, even though it has expired. This was always a problem as people generally followed the banks' instructions to destroy their cards. It could mean having to buy a new ticket with a new card while the old one is credited to the account of the old card.
We were told that this was a banks' rule and could have an effect on how much fraud insurance premiums the airline has to pay. I don't know how true this is, no-one seemed to have a definitive answer.

Load Toad
15th Jan 2013, 12:34
Whatever - Keep your old card.

I had an issue with QATAR - I had used an AMEX card to book which expired before the flight - I replaced it with a new one, at check in they wanted the old card '..for ID' - anded up filling in a form declaring that 'I am Me' & 'That card is mine too' - and then they had to get clearance from HQ.

A right pain in the jacksie as we thought we'd miss the flight.

So - replace or not - just keep the old one and show them it.

Dave Gittins
15th Jan 2013, 12:35
When ever I book a BA flight it says that the credit card used must be carried and available for inspection but nobody has ever wanted to in the past 5 years right up to and including a long haul flight on 21 Dec 12 returning to LGW on 4 Jan 13.

Dave Gittins
15th Jan 2013, 12:38
Good luck with Qatar LT.

When I was in Doha they always debitted my card twice and then I had to have a fight to get one lot creditted. Barclaycard said they were noted for it.

radeng
15th Jan 2013, 14:36
I've never been asked by BA to produce the credit card. I have been asked to produce my Gold Card when going into the lounge at LHR, even though the boarding card gives the number.

Prawn2king4
17th Jan 2013, 04:33
Thank you gentlemen.....appreciate the response.

I have twice been asked to show my card at check in - on both occasions by BA. Hence the original post.

Phalconphixer
28th Jan 2013, 18:38
So, just as a matter of interest, and hopefully to avoid any possible complications later, if I book a ticket (using my credit or debit card) for my O.H. to travel from say SOU to AGP and I am permanently in Spain, what could she do if asked to produce the card used to make the booking when attempting to check-in?
In our particular case I make the booking here in Spain and then forward by email the airlines e-ticket and confirmation details to my wife.
There must be loads of occasions where the person traveling is not the owner of the card used to make the booking...

Heathrow Harry
29th Jan 2013, 09:24
I've had issues booking using cards that were valid at time the bookingwas being made but expired before the last flight on the itinerary

Tableview
29th Jan 2013, 09:35
There must be loads of occasions where the person traveling is not the owner of the card used to make the booking...

I cover this by giving the passenger a letter and a (low quality) photocopy of the card. In practice, I don't think it's ever been asked for.

Load Toad
29th Jan 2013, 10:43
Some booking sites ask if you are going to be flying or booking for others.

Malone
29th Jan 2013, 12:42
The sites usually ask if the cardholder is travelling and a lot of people do not bother to tick the requisite box. This causes untold grief at check-in and can result in the pax having to buy a new ticket, the old one being credited back to the original card. Of course, there may not be any seats available at the old price either. It is always worth reading the fine print!!

tomahawk_pa38
30th Jan 2013, 13:52
Ever tried booking rail tickets in the UK for collections at the station ticket machine ? It’s impossible to buy tickets for someone else as they have to put the card used for the booking into the ticket machine to get the tickets out. My niece lost a ticket worth £60 which she paid for on the web expecting her daughter to be able to get the ticket out when she was coming home from college from her local station. In spite of numerous calls to the train operating company she never got a refund. Even if the other person is with you when you book them – you can’t collect them until 2 hours have elapsed so unless you are going to be together for the next two hours and both can go to the machine together, that doesn’t work either. I’m sure you used to be able to just type the transaction code into the machine to get tickets out. Progress eh ?

Tableview
30th Jan 2013, 13:55
That's interesting, Tomahawk, because when in the UK I often collect tickets from the self-service machines, which I have booked whilst I was out of the country. Sometimes it just asks for the transaction reference, sometimes it wants the card, I'd say it's about 50/50. I wonder if it depends on the train operating company?

Hartington
30th Jan 2013, 22:56
It depends on a number of things but it always pays to remember that in the end the reservations and tickets are all held in one database. You may have said to the internet booking engine "I will collect them from the machine at station X" but there is nothing stopping you from walking up to the machine at station Y or even the booking office at station Z and collecting tickets that way. I recently used the East Coast site to book tickets from Maidenhead to Castle Cary (FGW) to be collected at Maidenhead and actually picked them up from a Midland Mainline machine at St Pancras. The only fly in that ointment is that not every machine is ticket on departure enabled but you can find out which are by trying to book a ticket and then scrolling through the list offered and, like I say, the booking office can do it as well even if you have said machine (they might huff and puff but the terms of their licence says they must).

ExXB
31st Jan 2013, 09:06
Swiss rail tickets are 'home' printable (3d bar code) or MSM-able to your phone/mobile device. This is for the entire system including rural/urban bus/tram connections and even some mountain transport.

But make sure you have your ticket before you board. It's a CHF100 fine if you don't have one (including if you purchased it on-line after boarding)

Hipennine
31st Jan 2013, 14:20
You can do print at home now for East coast Trains journeys, entirely on East Coast, but not if journeying beyond. Interestingly, you are asked to provide four digits from a debit/credit card as confirmatory evidence of identity (they get printed on the ticket), but they don't have to be from the card used to pay for the ticket.

ExXB
31st Jan 2013, 14:33
Ah yes. You have to give the name of the passenger(s) and show picture ID with the ticket. Also date of birth, but that's not shown on the ticket.

Heathrow Harry
31st Jan 2013, 17:13
FGW allows you to print a ticket at home - you have to carry the credit card and any relevant rail cards but no other ID