PDA

View Full Version : Carry on luggage

Espada III
31st Dec 2012, 18:02
Several years ago we bought two Travelite pieces of lightweight wheeled cabin bags from the Lufthansa World Shop using miles. We like them because they are an excellent size, expandable, less than 2.5kg, hard wearing enough for the hold if necessary and have a sturdy ABS base which protects the telescopic handle assembly.

They have lasted very well but are due for replacement.

We are trying to find similar items, but are struggling to find them on the WorldShop website and cannot find stockists of Travelite in the UK.

Does anyone have any idea where I can buy them from, or suggest alternatives that are too ridiculously expensive (by that I mean more than £100).

Hotel Tango
31st Dec 2012, 19:39
Story of my life. I have never really been able to replace my original favourite carry-on bag. Subsequent bags purchased and which I got used to, same problem. I have decided that the next time I find the perfect bag (i.e. fills all my requirements) I'll buy three of the buggers :)

PAXboy
31st Dec 2012, 20:55
Agreed Hotel Tango. My mid-sized Samosnite is old and battered but nurse it along as it has extra large wheels that make it so easy to use on pavements and railways stations. Tiny wheels are fine inside airports on smooth surfaces but Samsonite stopped making the large wheels.

Espada III, if thise is the company, perhaps you can contact them directly? travelite Home - DE (http://www.travelite.de/)

Rwy in Sight
31st Dec 2012, 21:50
I bought the cabin trolley from Airbus (http://www.airbus-shop.com/airbus-cabin-trolley-1.html) and so far I am happy with it. Plenty of space and it fits perfectly even on Dash400 overheads and they are the smallest aircraft I would be using in the foreseeable future. Boeing has a similar item at similar cost but I am not sure about shipping charges.

I have not put it (the Airbus one) on the hold yet but I think it can survive.

Rwy in Sight

Espada III
2nd Jan 2013, 11:23
So you know how I feel!

Panic over. found them on a couple of websites and then they appeared in the Lufthansa World Shop ( clearly I had not looked hard enough) and they still available. I am a happy bunny.

Just realised that using Miles to buy a flight is not always the most efficient use of Miles as cheaper LOCos makes the Taxes and Charges added onto Miles bookings look expensive. So we have used our miles to buy the luggage.

Happy New Year!

PAXboy
2nd Jan 2013, 11:36
Glad you found it. Usually (but not always!) the best value in Miles is to upgrade to a higher cabin class.

Espada III
2nd Jan 2013, 12:21
For my regular route (MAN - TLV) the miles cost for Economy is 40,000 and Business is 70,000. As the longest leg is only 4 hours its not worth it unless I have to take that particular flight.