PDA

View Full Version : GFPT Question

Elfatness
31st Dec 2012, 01:04
Howdy folks!

I am GFPT'd in Bendigo however I also spend quite a bit of time on the Mornington Peninsula, not far from Tyabb Airport.
Just curious if I am able to exercise my GFPT privileges at Tyabb? Obviously I would need a check ride etc.. Down there but my main question is can it be done legally?
Sorry if this seems like a silly question but a lot of you are very knowledgable.

Thanks in advance!

The Fat Man :)

blacklabel
31st Dec 2012, 02:39
They should be able to check out into the mb training area, have a look on the mel vtc for boundaries.
Best if you wait until you have a ppl, u'll get treated differently and suffer less instructor reluctance !

fujii
31st Dec 2012, 20:18
What Blacklabel says is true but ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR. That's where your dollars are going. He may even be able to help with procedures and contacts at Tyabb.

Look Mum - no hands
1st Jan 2013, 01:26
E...

As a GFPT holder you can fly under the supervision of any flying school who checks you out and is happy to sign you out solo. How much dual is needed for this to happen will depend on the similarity of aircraft, procedures and area to where you have flown before (plus of course your own currency and proficiency.) If you just want to have a look around, it may be more realistic to forget about solo in the sort term and just do an hour with an instructor ex Tyabb.

One other consideration - if you plan to go on to a CPL and your existing school runs a 150hr approved course, hours that you complete at a second school will not count towards the CPL requirements.

On the plus side, the experience of flying different aircraft in different places and with different instructors would broaden your experience and make the jump to a PPL easier.

CAVOK92
1st Jan 2013, 08:49
E...

Absolutely worth checking out the guys down at PAC (Tyabb), Great Bunch of people! It shouldn't take too long to get checked out. From memory their training area runs from Frankston across all of French Island and all the way down to Arthurs Seat, so it's pretty big and with some decent scenery around.

C92

Sir Instructalot
13th Jan 2013, 09:12
Actually Look Mum, as far as i am aware - a flying school can continue a student on an integrated CPL course, if previous cometencies have been signed off by the other flying school, and a letter from the CFI is provided stating that the student is following the 150 hour approved course.

PA39
14th Jan 2013, 05:42
N BRIEF: yes GO YOUR HARDEST YOU WILL NEED A BRIEF ON TRAINING AREA AND LOCAL KNOWLEDGE AND PROVIDING THE AIRCRAFT IS SIMILAR TO THE ONE YOU HAVE BEEN FLYING. MAY B REQ TO DO A LAP.

inxs
15th Jan 2013, 23:54
Look Mum is correct - check the CASA Day VFR Syllabus - you go somewhere else to fly even for just a jolly, you forfeit yourself being on a short approved CPL course (or you can't log that time in the air).

Clare Prop
16th Jan 2013, 00:22
What you need is a "permission" from an instructor to fly solo, whether you have a GFPT or not - you are a student pilot. A GFPT is a flight test not a licence.
Look Mum is correct.
If you move schools you can continue the course but if you are just going somewhere for a bit of a jolly then back to your regular school it won't count towards the hours for the approved CPL course, but will still count as hours in your logbook.

Elfatness
16th Jan 2013, 01:11
Thanks heaps for all your replies guys the info is much appricaited! Not too stressed about the 150hr course so it wont be too much of an issue but thanks again for the responses, have made contact with the peninsula aero club and they have been very helpful.

Cheers!

The Fat Man

SenZubEanS
16th Jan 2013, 02:13
Not worried about paying for additional hours that wont count.... must be made of money ;);)

good to be some :p

Lasiorhinus
16th Jan 2013, 02:58
Oh, those hours certainly do count towards total time, but just not towards the issue of a CPL under the 150 hour syllabus.