PDA

View Full Version : Civil Aviation Most Memorables of 2012

EI-BUD
29th Dec 2012, 23:25
Civil Aviation, Most memorable events 2012

As 2012 draws to a close what Civil Aviation happenings will be most most remembered and what is in store for 2013???

- Continued consolidation in the Industry e.g. IAG aquisition of bmi, disappearance of the brand, bmibaby closure
- AF KLM woes
- LH plans for major change in short haul
- IAG Iberia Express, Vueling moves
- Southend Airport relaunch under Stobart
- Malev closure
- SAS on the brink, but survives
- LOT and Alitalia woes

- How valid have MOLs theories about the future size and shape of the industry been?

- Virgin unveils plans for domestic operation to be operated by Aer Lingus

- 2013, IAG / TAP?

- BAA sale of EDI and STN to follow... but who will the buyer be? A buyer at home or abroad, and what are the implications for the Airport

- Emirates and Etihad continued expansion, implications for Air Berlin, Qantas and even Aer Lingus..

- What will the EU rule on EI FR relationship in 2013....

- What are the regional airlines prospects for 2013 and beyond, Flybe, bmiregional etc.

- What are the future prospects for Cityjet???

- Norweigan Airlines expansion, long haul, one to watch?

- Where will the Ryanair V Wizzair head to head end?

- Strategic Alliances, movers and shakers?

Just some items for getting the thinking buds going.

Happy New Year to all of the dedicated contributors to Pprune for 2013!!

OntimeexceptACARS
30th Dec 2012, 00:07
The article in the Guardian i think it was, suggesting that, despite his wealth, good old MOL is a ****.

Link : Ryanair deserves a new name | Carole Cadwalladr | Comment is free | The Observer (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/02/ryanair-needs-a-new-rude-name)

Made my day anyway.

Fairdealfrank
30th Dec 2012, 02:23
Quote: "The article in the Guardian i think it was, suggesting that, despite his wealth, good old MOL is a ****."

As long as pax continue to use FR in such large numbers, perhaps because they believe that it's cheaper(?), O'Leary and FR will continue take the alleged cavaliar attitude towards them that is apparent.

They do it because they get away with it, simple as that.

DB6
30th Dec 2012, 09:11
For all the wrong reasons: EASA.
Tossers.

Facelookbovvered
30th Dec 2012, 10:14
For once a newspaper calls it about right, but you can't stop people doing daft stuff with their own money, what goes around comes around and for net zero cost Ryanair could become a great airline, but then they'd be like Easyjet/Norwegian/AirBerlin and their cost advantage would go with it, they remain a one trick pony = cheap, but not cheerful

dog in park
30th Dec 2012, 10:16
For me getting out of my car at Ikea and a spotter running towards me all excited saying "guess what I know"

ConstantFlyer
30th Dec 2012, 11:38
- Ongoing march of expansion of aviation in China

compton3bravo
30th Dec 2012, 14:32
The UK Border Agrency for being their usual pain in the a**e and not just at UK airports - have you tried Calais (for Dover) port recently! Oh to be living and travelling in the Schengen area.

Omnipresent
30th Dec 2012, 19:02
For me, the most memorable events of 2012 are:

a) IAG completing its purchase of bmi

BA may not be able to claim to be the "World's Favourite" again, but nearly extra 50 slot pairs assure significant growth (and a more optimised network) in the medium term. With Seoul and Chengdu joining the route network and more expected to follow, it should at least be able to claim to have a truly global network. A major lost opportunity for Virgin Atlantic, and Star and Skyteam alliances. Credit should also be given for a very swift and relatively painless integration of bmi into BA.

b) BA's "Home Advantage" Olympics campaign

More for the symbolism than the advertising itself, not only did this campaign prove to be a masterstroke but it was a sign of a much more confident BA, something that has been lacking for a few years.

c) Qatar Airways joining Oneworld

This is definitely a development to watch, and future co-operation with IAG in particular, will be interesting.

d) Delta acquiring Singapore Airlines' stake in Virgin Atlantic

I think this is potentially more significant for what it could have been. Imagine if Delta had invested in Virgin two years ago and had been willing to bankroll the purchase of bmi.

e) The privatisation of TAP that never was

Notable for the complete lack of interest of IAG, Air France-KLM and Lufthansa

Things to watch in 2013:

a) IAG's restructuring of Iberia

A lot of focus has been on the proposed cost-cutting but equally I think there's huge potential for revenue improvement in Iberia, particularly the benefit of IAG's knowledge from the restructuring of BA over the past ten years.

b) IAG acquiring the remaining share capital of Vueling

Interesting to see what IAG has planned for Vueling, particuarly in the UK market.

c) BA taking delivery of the 787 and A380

Again, interesting to see what new routes will be announced in 2013.

d) BA's long term plans for LGW

A decision has to be made on short-haul fleet renewal for LGW sooner or later.

e) Delta completing its purchase of 49% of Virgin Atlantic

Will be interesting to see how things change in terms of route network (bearing in mind they don't have much in the way of slots to play with) and just how much influence Delta will exert.

f) The future of LOT, SAS, Air Berlin and CityJet

A lot of uncertainty here.

g) Virgin launching domestic routes on 31 March 2013

Interesting to see if they stick with this. Wet-leasing is certainly not a viable option in the long term.