PDA

View Full Version : When shall I start?? Please advise!

JT8
16th Apr 2002, 10:26
Folks,

A dreaded question which I've asked before but still need help with:

I've recently started a new job with a simulator manufacturer.As a wannabe pilot it's not a bad alternative.
I have decided on an integrated course at a chosen school for my fATPL. I will start my training in either October 2002 or July 2003. Both courses allow me to finish between September and April ie
when most airlines normally recruit.

BUT WHICH COURSE??

*July 2003 (graduate about Sept 2004) seems the sensible choice because:

I can save more money to put towards the training.
Job situation should hopefully have improved.
I can get more experience in my current job, which may allow me to return whilst looking for a flying job after graduating.

*October 2002 (graduate about Dec 2003) because:

I'm dying to get started
Even if I do not get a job straight after graduation, I can start building hours and get on the ladder.
Therefore when jobs do appear I'll be ready.

??HELP?? :confused: Answers on a postcard please : Oct 2002 OR July 2003

Thanks!
JT8 ;) :confused:

Lil'KiwiPaddy
16th Apr 2002, 10:47
I'd go for 2003.

As you've said you will have more experience in your current position, and you will have saved more cash, which you will need for the unexpected costs which are bound to pop up like course overruns, test resits (hopefully not, but best to be prepared) and of course beer!

Or why not use some of it to do some PPL hours before you start?

If you have any left after the course you can use it to get extra hours or an FI rating.

I've chosen the modular routle and hope to be good to go by early 2004, I had delayed starting my training for exactly the reasons as you mentioned.

That's my thinking anyways

LKP
:D

MJR
16th Apr 2002, 13:36
Mmmmmmmmmm, if you have got a good job and in view of the present airline employment market why go integrated? I personally would start a modular course, and start it now.

JT8
16th Apr 2002, 19:25
Thanks for the replies and advice. Keep it coming!

JT8 ;)