PDA

View Full Version : How strict are Flybe on domestic ID?

jabird
29th Dec 2012, 00:37
I have a flight next Thurs BHD-BHX with BE, but am leaving early this morning (by train, then ferry).

Just wondering - how strict are BE for ID on domestic sectors?

Last time I came back from BHD it was to LHR with (then) BD, and no ID required. I know Ryanair are famously strict. As I have luggage, I will be using airport machines. I'm not aware of any ID being needed to get airside.

Flybe have a long list of accepted IDs, including "government issued ID" - which should technically include my bus pass, but then it says "local authority bus pass" - only for senior citizens, which I am not.

My passport is around somewhere, but I have no idea where, and I surrendered my driving licence for medical reasons in August.

Any ideas?

Capot
29th Dec 2012, 07:03
Idea No.1.

Call Flybe (01392 399996??) and ask them, and also ask them to confirm by email to avoid problems with a handling agent who doesn't know the rules. Or, of course, email Flybe.

You'll get as many answers here as posts, and you'll have no idea which one is from someone who actually knows.

edi_local
29th Dec 2012, 09:42
You will need some photo ID, but they are not as strict as other airlines. That doesn't mean they will let you go if you don't have it (because they won't) it just means that they accept a wider range of ID forms.

You will be asked to provide ID at check in if you're dropping a bag off as the check in agent will need to see it when you give then the bag.

I used to handle flyBe and we did accept bus passes for the elderly as these are issued by the local council they are considered official enough for domestic travel on BE. However, it's well over 18 months ago since I last did anything with BE, so the rules may have changed and I was at EDI, not BHD, so local rules may differ, of course.

Best idea is just to go and find your passport or, as previously suggested, contact the airline, tell them what you have and ask them if that's suitable!

Skipness One Echo
29th Dec 2012, 13:08
If you don't have it at the gate, they won't let you board. They check everyone.

jabird
3rd Jan 2013, 21:58
I used to handle flyBe and we did accept bus passes for the elderly as these are issued by the local council they are considered official enough for domestic travel on BE.

My bus pass is also issued by same source. I think what they meant was they wouldn't accept a card bus pass issued by a bus company that can be easily doctored. Ditto for railcards.

Best idea is just to go and find your passport

Yes, but I stayed up through the night and still didn't. However, I did find something else that would have been acceptable, so all was ok in the end!

They certainly check ID, and they did at check in (I had a heavy bag) and again at gate.

All in all, a very efficient service, wonderfully mild at the moment so one of the smoothest flights I've ever had, and E195 is a much smoother interior than the Q400 too!

Scott C
4th Jan 2013, 00:18
The check-in and gate staff will ask to see your ID and usually the Cabin Crew ask to see your ID & Boarding pass when boarding the aircraft.

DaveReidUK
4th Jan 2013, 07:21
usually the Cabin Crew ask to see your ID & Boarding pass when boarding the aircraft

Is that specific to Flybe ?

I can't recall ever having been asked for ID by cabin crew, but then I haven't yet had the pleasure of flying with that particular airline.

steviedash
4th Jan 2013, 22:55
We (cabin crew) don't check ID on boarding at Flybe, just the boarding cards.

Businesstraveller
7th Jan 2013, 12:06
Over the years I've taken 100s of domestic flights with BA and BMI. Having checked in with FF cards I never had to show anyone a passport, driving license etc at any point. Just as well as a number of times I would be between the check-in desk and security and realise I had no formal means of identifying myself.