PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest twin turbine?

Crashlanding
16th Apr 2002, 07:40
Hi everyone. Im still looking at buying a jet. But ive found an intresting one. Its called a Cri-Cri and some nutter has bolted 2 turbine engines to it. I suspect this would burn about 1.6kg fuel an hour which would be a amazing price. Cruize about 150mph and SE 100mph.

Im waitin for the CAA to confim this would go down as multi turbine time. Ill let you all know. This could be a very cheap way to get hours.

http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html
Let me know if any of you know if this is twin turbine time, I emailed the CAA a little time back with no answer still

lefrancaoui
16th Apr 2002, 08:25
I think that the cricri was certified initially as an ultralight.
Anyway good luck and have fun :)

Crashlanding
16th Apr 2002, 08:45
I think it can be certified as a SLA, It has to go as twin time, and (Not certain) wouldnt this still count towards TT. With the engines being turbines this would have to be a twin turbine?

But as soon as the CAA reply to the email ill post it. If it is the case I wounder if the CAA will get a sudden increase in the number of Wannabes asking to certify twin turbine cri-cri's

They apparently do 9/-4.5 G

Nevergo
16th Apr 2002, 11:47
Hi Guys,

I don't want to be a spoil sport ( and I think strapping a couple of jets on a cri-cri is an extra ordinary leap of imagination - full marks ) but if this is a ploy to gain twin turbine time with a view to increasing your job prospects... wouldn't the type give it away a bit?

Or have I completely missed the point?

Good luck,

N.

AMEX
16th Apr 2002, 12:37
Hi Crash and others
Not sure what is the current regulation but a few years back, the Cri Cri could be flown by any PPL holder without a twin rating. It was in France and I actually don't remember anyone logging the time in the twin column. Things may have changed though...

Beside that, I am sure this could be great fun to fly and I can't imagine people's face when you light up !!!

N380UA
16th Apr 2002, 13:32
Where do I get one?

Crashlanding
16th Apr 2002, 16:19
Where to get one. There are some for sale, I had seen one only yesterday for 12k

Regarding what column it goes in? Im still waiting for the CAA to get back to me on this. My orginal instructor believes it would have to be twin if it was a SLA as opposed to just a microlight. But I have no idea as the JAA ATPL sylbus im studying isnt detailed enough in such subjects. If anyone has any better ideas who to contact in the CAA let me know. I think my email must have gone slow mail.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Apr 2002, 18:39
I own a MC15 Cri Cri, C-GSIB it is registered as an amateur built in Canada. So I guess you can log it as twin time.

What American Airlines or British Airways would think of 5,000 hours of Cri Cri twin time would be interesting. :):):)

For more on Cri Cri go to www.cricri.co.uk and follow links.

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.:D

QNH 1013
16th Apr 2002, 20:25
Sounds great, but look at the endurance and fuel burn. I read a flight test of the twin turbine CRI CRI some years ago and I think the endurance on full tanks was minutes, not hours.

Also, I think these small turbines used propane or another LPG, not JET A1.

The above information is from memory, and much beer has passed under the bridge since reading the article, so it would be worth checking the original article. I think it was in PILOT or FLYER magazine.

Daifly
16th Apr 2002, 23:00
There used to be a fantastic display of a Cri-Cri in the UK, sponsored by Mitsubishi Shogun.

The thing was strapped to the roof of the Shogun and shot off down the runway before lauching (with a toggle just like a glider!) when the speed was good enough. It then did aeros - it's certainly stressed to a horrific figure.

If a CV arrived infront of me with 250h jet time (or twin time) on a Cri-Cri I'd have to laugh I'm sorry to say. With only an ASI and Altimeter apart from the engines it's not exactly "complex" in a "complex" kind of way....!

Would be a great, fun aircraft though.

Chuck Ellsworth
16th Apr 2002, 23:48
HI there Daifly:

You shouldnt just laugh at the Cri Cri, it just might be a more "Complex" airplane than you may think. ( by the way just what in hell does "complex" mean )

My Cri Cri has ten instruments including a G meter plus a 760 channel transiever, transponder with encoder and an Anywheremap GPS in it.

Suppose the pilot who gave you the CV was an airshow pilot doing aerobatics with the Cri Cri would that be an advantage?

Anyhow I still am unsure of the difference between simple and complex.

Maybe if I change it so as the gear retracts? :):):)

Just love to get your thoughts on all this. :):):)

:D The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.:D

Dockjock
17th Apr 2002, 00:19
Hey why not put it on floats and put an EHSI in it too? Then you could log it as PIC-Twin-Jet-Float-EFIS. Those over 5'10" it appears need not apply. :D

FL395
17th Apr 2002, 01:02
chuck

i guess a definition of simple is YOU
and complex is everyone else
:D :D :) :cool: :p :p

TheDrop
5th Aug 2002, 08:04
According to this page, fuel consumption is 290 to 550 grams pr minute, that is the hourly rate would be 66 kg for 2 engines at max power (for the Olympus engine). On the other hand, the engine should run on various fuels like Kerosene - Paraffin - Jet A1 - White Spirit. See the page below. 66 kg, if that is Kerosene, then it would be about 80 liters an hour, lets say average power is 80 % FF, then you are down to about 65 liter/hour - to carry one person at something like 135 knots.

http://www.amtjets.com/specs.html

BIG MISTER
26th Oct 2004, 14:06
So Crashlanding....whatever happened to that CAA e-mail ?

:}

Daysleeper
24th Aug 2005, 20:41
Resurecting an old thread here but what DID happen with the CAA?