PDA

View Full Version : Radio communication

wwcy
27th Dec 2012, 08:51
Hi all,

I am new here. I have questions about radio communication. Do pilots on a plane talk to those on other planes through the radio usually? Is it possible?

MarkerInbound
27th Dec 2012, 12:13
Not normally but it is possible. The radios are mainly for ATC and the pilots to talk back and forth. If the pilots were talking to each other it would fill the frequency. Over the oceans there special frequencies for pilots to talk to each to report weather and stuff where they are at. Also at smaller airports without ATC there are freqs for pilots to report their intentions to each other.

Mark 1
28th Dec 2012, 00:00
There are a few occasions where that happens. These spring to mind:

As said above when relaying messages over the ocean if you cannot reach the control centre e.g. 123.45MHz over the Atlantic.

When flying in formation for calling lead changes, formation changes etc.

Making blind calls to inform other aircraft of your intentions near non-tower fields and training areas (with a designated frequency).

If you're intercepted by a military aircraft for doing something naughty (usually on 121.5MHz).

It also happens unofficially on unapproved frequencies usually by aircraft flying together, but risks interfering with the legitimate user of that frequency.

wwcy
2nd Jan 2013, 15:01
very clear! thanks:D

sevenstrokeroll
7th Jan 2013, 00:12
we even have cute ''names'' for certain frequencies...

while I won't give away the numbers, how many of you real pilots know what:

winchester is

earl schieb

top of the FM dial

that ought to seperate the men from the boys