PDA

View Full Version : LEARNING TO FLY IN 1930

ROCKAT
26th Dec 2012, 23:26
I am researching for a flying novel set in Britain in the 1930s. In particular I would like to discover what flying lessons cost and what kind of license you would expect to receive. Any and all information gratefully received.

chevvron
27th Dec 2012, 15:34
Don't know about costs, but I think you could qualify for an 'A' Licence after minimum 5 hours.

NutherA2
27th Dec 2012, 15:43
IIRC part of one of Neville Shute's novels, "The Rainbow and the Rose", is set in a flying club of this period and may help set the tone a bit.

OUAQUKGF Ops
27th Dec 2012, 16:04
Quoting Diana Barnato Walker ATA: "I went to Brooklands, which was the snob flying club. It was very expensive, £3 an hour. The Civil Air Guard had already been started by Harold Balfour, where you could learn to fly for 7s.6d. an hour" ( This would be c1938).

Quoting Margot Gore ATA: "Gabrielle Patterson was a very good flying instructor: the first woman, I think, in the country to do this. She started the National Women's Air Reserve and we got very cheap flying at about 15s per hour.I took my 'A' Licence quite quickly. You didn't need many hours in those days - about fifteen. Then I went on to an Assistant Flying Instructors course for which you had to do 100 hours' flying".

thegypsy
27th Dec 2012, 18:57
Don't know about costs but just looking at my father's Blue CA Form 64 Certificate of Competency and Licence to fly Private Flying Machines

Inside cover says Pilot's Certificate of Competency for private flying machines No 17954 dated 24th April 1939 for All types of landplanes

Further pages show at top of page (A)
Licence 1 which shows a photograph of holder

(A)
Licence 2 shows particulars of Holder
Next double page is medical certificate valid for one year Licence 3,4,5 and 6 are for medicals
Licence 7 is for Endorsements

(A)
2. is Certificate of Competency

Final page states that the following steps should be taken 14 days before expiry date. Forward to the Air Ministry

(1) Pilot's licence

(2) Pilots log book in the approved form showing evidence of having completed at least three hours solo flying during the proceeding 12 months.

(3) Fee of 5 shillings and

(4) Have completed C.A Form 61

Then follows various warnings about flying without a current licence etc etc

Before the issue of this licence he had been in the RAFVR flying since 1937 and as an Instructor but guess he did not require a civil licence for this. Not sure why he got this licence because as soon as war was declared he was called up and posted as an Instructor on Oxfords at RAF South Cerney so did not need it!

barit1
28th Dec 2012, 01:43
Not sure how my father's experience would transfer to the 1930 UK.

In 1930, Dad was hired by a guy to help build a miniature golf course. The guy ran short of cash, but he was a WWI pilot who owned a Curtiss Robin with a surplus OX-5 engine (90 hp, single ignition, liquid cooled V-8). Long story short, Dad bartered his labor for flying lessons.

http://www.eaglesmereairmuseum.org/assets/pictures/Robin/Robin_side_thb.jpg

goldilocksk
28th Dec 2012, 07:41
A 1934 newspaper article about the local Eastern Counties Aeroplane Club contained the following:

"With the aim of attracting young men, flying subscriptions have been reduced to £2 per hour dual-control and 35s. solo, whilst special rates of £1 1s. and hour are charged on the first Sunday in every month. There is no entrance fee, and a year's subscription for pilot members is £1 1s., and for associate members 10s. 6d."

Hope that helps

Goldilocks

4Greens
28th Dec 2012, 08:19
Check out the autobiography of Neville Shute 'Slide rule'.