PDA

View Full Version : USN WW2 ditching trials

Trim Stab
23rd Dec 2012, 10:44
Some time ago I saw a TV documentary which showed USN test pilots deliberately ditching (I think) Grumman Avengers to see how they would behave when ditched. The results were fairly spectacular, and must have taken a lot of courage from the pilots. Has anybody seen this footage anywhere on the internet? I've had a google but can't find anything.

ORAC
23rd Dec 2012, 12:22
B-24 in St James river

BSDa9z4kdOg

B-29

Cme9JcdSepA

isaneng
23rd Dec 2012, 17:41
Bloody hell, braver men than me. And so nice to see the comb appear....

Herod
23rd Dec 2012, 19:37
Yes, must have been a fighter pilot at some stage. ;)

isaneng
24th Dec 2012, 07:20
Because he ditched....?

ORAC
24th Dec 2012, 08:50
B-24 Emergency Procedures. Here you find out what parachutes and rear end crew are used for. I also like the tip about staying straight after landing with a blown tyre by shooting out the good one......

Hv6D8_p7ozw

aL322wjjBv0

VX275
24th Dec 2012, 11:05
Having been originally designed as an assault glider the GAL Hotspur was deliberatly ditched on three occasions into Tatton Mere in Cheshire. On all three occasions the crew were the same and only on the final test were any injuries recieved. The landing on that occasion was downwind and with the undercarriage left on, resuting in the whole nose disintigrating on impact.and the crew swimming amonst the wreckage.

walter kennedy
24th Dec 2012, 19:52
Excellent videos!
Made me think, though, of the Gibraltar crash 1943 - seems everyone but the pilot was unlucky to have not survived the ditching in a robust liberator - and it seems odd that the pilot (Prchal) claimed to have been thrown clear through the front windscreen. I'm glad to hear that the Poles are still looking into that crash.

Rosevidney1
25th Dec 2012, 18:22
I have always understood that under 'less than ideal' ditching conditions the B-24 was prone to breaking in half on contact with the water whereas the B-17 tended not to.

Rotor Power
26th Dec 2012, 05:45
i am sure you all would like it.

Prince William lands helicopter on water during Canadian visit - YouTube