PDA

View Full Version : One of the most moving films, the burial of an Air Gunner and Aircraft at sea.

NutLoose
22nd Dec 2012, 15:52
It was posted over on the Flypast forum and brings a tear to ones eye.
The burial at Sea of an Avenger Gunner and his Aircraft.

What a fitting tribute to a brave man.

http://www.webstarts.com/library/flowplayer/video/?files%5B%5D=http%3A%2F%2Floyceedeen.WebStarts.com%2Fuploads %2FGoingHome.mp4&poster=http%3A%2F%2Floyceedeen.WebStarts.com%2Fthumbs%2FGoin gHome_mp4_hq.jpg&autoplay=0&controls=1

:(

NutLoose
22nd Dec 2012, 21:39
Suprised there are no comments.

Dengue_Dude
22nd Dec 2012, 21:46
What on earth could you say . . . it just seems very poignant.

NutLoose
22nd Dec 2012, 21:59
So true....

thing
22nd Dec 2012, 22:13
A fitting tribute as well to rear gunners of all a/c who were usually the first to cop it in a fighter attack. My first W/O in the RAF was a rear gunner in WWII, about 5ft nothing and made of girders. They don't build them like that anymore.

NutLoose
23rd Dec 2012, 01:24
A name to this moving film

loyceedeen (http://www.loyceedeen.org/)

Dengue_Dude
23rd Dec 2012, 14:40
Thanks, that puts it even more into context. As I said above, poignant .
. .

That's a huge hole just behind the turret, poor sod.

brokenlink
23rd Dec 2012, 20:31
Completely moving, a very brave man and an emotional tribute by his shipmates.

God bless all those who have, and continue to, put themselves in harms way that we may all be safe.

dead_pan
23rd Dec 2012, 20:54
Hmm, pretty grim stuff - given the size of the hole in the fuselage its probably no surprise that there were no volunteers to remove the body or fly that particular a/c again.

Samuel
23rd Dec 2012, 21:07
its probably no surprise that there were no volunteers to remove the body or fly that particular a/c again.

Nonsense! Having done the job myself on more than one occasion, there are ALWAYS those willing to do whatever has to be done.

llamaman
23rd Dec 2012, 23:04
Nonsense! Having done the job myself on more than one occasion, there are ALWAYS those willing to do whatever has to be done.

How utterly disrespectful.

A very moving film that will, unfortunately, attract very little attention on this forum. Well done Nutloose, an unusual find and most thought-provoking.

glojo
23rd Dec 2012, 23:11
Perhaps this is not the place for this comment.

A very moving clip

glad rag
23rd Dec 2012, 23:24

Perhaps THE crassest comment I've ever read on PPRuNe.

Load Toad
23rd Dec 2012, 23:56
Why are you complaining about Samuels comment......?

Do you not think that the remains of soldiers, airmen, sailors have to be removed in such cases...?

Do you think stuff like this was written for fun:

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Samuel
24th Dec 2012, 00:45
The three previous [to the last] posters should form a gang of the great misinformed! There is nothing either crass or disrespectful in my comment which was appropos the idiotic remark that preceded it that "no one wanted to front up", an observation based entirely on supposition, and somewhat thoughtless to be honest!

In my considerable experience all the deference and respect that can be mustered in such events results in the exact opposite!

thunderbird7
24th Dec 2012, 08:26
And thanks to all who have done so. :D

glad rag
24th Dec 2012, 22:31
^^^^ it was the bigging ones self up that sparked me off.^^^^

Samuel

You are indeed a hero and thank you for telling us so!

Line shooter :yuk:

Load Toad
24th Dec 2012, 23:58
Glad Rag, you really are an obnoxious fool. Your profile suggests you have served - if so I'd have thought that you'd understand a little more about the unpleasant side of conflict, war and wouldn't dismiss Samuel's comment flippantly. Though being 37 years old with 24 years service suggests you are the line shooter.

You are ruining this thread. Idiot.

glad rag
25th Dec 2012, 12:47
Tut, tut tut Loady.

It is not I who is/was being "obnoxious" nor shooting a line.

Good point about the age though, I'll sort it , thanks.

:ok:

newt
25th Dec 2012, 13:40
I feel some ASBO's are about to be given out! And at Christmas too!:ouch::ouch::ouch:

Halton Brat
25th Dec 2012, 14:48
Did some crash sites.

The remains of fallen comrades are treated with reverence, not revulsion.

The actions of this man's shipmates were entirely appropriate, in the circumstances.

Could we please return to the spirit of this thread?

HB

Always a Sapper
25th Dec 2012, 20:54
Not really the thread to be getting the handbags out lads or the time of year come to that.

Take it to another thread (ARRSE way maybe? do link back though) and please, lets get back to the matter in hand, a very moving short film remembering a young lad who gave his all to his country and fellow servicemen and his shipmates heartfelt final wave off.

Tashengurt
25th Dec 2012, 22:28
Hear hear Sapper. Some people need to have a word with themselves if they think such behaviour on this thread is appropriate. Hope the Mods jump in.

NutLoose
25th Dec 2012, 23:59
I had deliberately not said anything up until now, but I think their comments between themselves have been disgusting and it saddens me to see it, I posted it for those I thought would appreciate to see caring for one another in tragic circumstances has not changed and as a fitting memorial to the guy who gave his life, someone on another forum said the folding of the wings reminded him of an angels wing folding around his body and the whole thread on that site had an air of respect and dignity..... Sadly that appears not to be the case here....

Just because it is on a forum, do you not think he deserves the same respect? Would you stand up in a Church or at Wooton Bassset and behave with the same low standards? I think not..

:(

L-H
26th Dec 2012, 11:26
Chaps, I think the original motive for posting this clip has been lost in the mire. Nutloose, many thanks for posting, I first saw it many years ago and was then stunned into respectful silence at how the Loyce Deen's shipmates chose to bury him with his aircraft. I saw it then akin to a warrior being buried with his horse, and I still feel that now. A great honour and enormous show of respect for a comrade who has done his duty.

What struck me first time I watched it was how fresh the film was, the informality, the little touches and lack of propaganda seemed as if the events were from yesterday. Watching it again that sense of recency is still there.

DCO!

Halton Brat
26th Dec 2012, 11:55
Agreed, L-H. An extremely moving film, which demonstrates the care & respect of comrades in arms. I too, saw the folding of the aircraft's wings as a metaphor for an angel shrouding his body.

A fitting farewell to a fallen warrior.

HB

Dengue_Dude
26th Dec 2012, 16:39
Well re-railed guys.

Yes it was most respectful and very moving.