PDA

View Full Version : SkyDive Rainbow Beach Not an Equal Opportunity Employer

Ejector
21st Dec 2012, 03:40
SkyDive Rainbow Beach Not an Equal Opportunity Employer

The ad says
CPL (A)
Jump Pilot Authorization (or willingness to obtain)
Command IFR
C182 or Similar experience
Maximum of 75kg

When this is less than the CASA avg pax, they are selectively employing minorities only.

Aussie Bob
21st Dec 2012, 04:09
Are you complaining about this Ejector?

In a time of political correctness to the point of stupidity, I guess you could bitch that they are rulling out the fat, long, wide and heavy but surely that is their right?

deadcut
21st Dec 2012, 04:21
It's obvious that pilot who work for SkyDive Rainbow do not even lift.

jibba_jabba
21st Dec 2012, 04:21
it's a 182! If your exceptionally heavy that mean they will lose money on reduced loads, climb performance issues (especially in summer) and you will lose money on less loads for the day.

Its just the way it is. Love it or leave it.

Aviation is full of this stuff, its just that most of the time you dont see it!

VH-XXX
21st Dec 2012, 04:37
Unless you are well over 6 ft, 75kg is what a fit and healthy male should weigh.

Ejector
21st Dec 2012, 05:01
Average Australian Male is 85.2kg This means that they only employ minorities or females.

4841.0 - Facts at your Fingertips: Health, 2011 (http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/4841.0Chapter22011)

Capt Fathom
21st Dec 2012, 05:15
This means that they only employ minorities or females

And about time! :E

VH-XXX
21st Dec 2012, 05:47
A difficult one to compare because a large percentage of the Australian population are considered obese by the World Health Organisation so the "average Australian" weight doesn't stack up in this discussion so to speak.

What about airline flight crew weights, the military, police, pilot medicals, one could say the same about them too, it's just a matter of degree?

It's a little like saying that I'm annoyed because I can't be the pinup girl for David Jones because I'm not good looking enough so I am being discriminated against.

Jabawocky
21st Dec 2012, 08:34
Trust me...I have seen the equal opportunity principal at work in jump outfits.

Some employ or....use experienced over 40 males from 85-100kg. Some use light weight optically enhanced pilots. You can guess the gender.

Overall that would be equal in terms of "industry numbers"

On a per skydive operation....thats a different statistic :E

sprocket check
21st Dec 2012, 09:27
Even I would jump with an optically enhanced below 75kg, though would much prefer below 65kg. ;)

Sc

NzCaptainAndrew
21st Dec 2012, 10:15
Hahahaha that ad on AFAP made me lol

Mark1234
21st Dec 2012, 10:17
In that case, the *average* Australian male needs to take some exercise. 5'10, Male, Caucasian (I presume that's what you're getting at with the 'minority' comment), average in pretty much all respects, 72kg. Used to be 90+ No good reason for that other than a bad lifestyle; it can be changed

As others have said, there are pretty good operational reasons not to want a lump of lard in the pilot's seat. IMHO when political correctness outweighs such considerations, the world has gone (even further) to pot..

[edited 'cos I obviously got out of bed the wrong side, that was a bit harsh, sorry.]

tarmac12
21st Dec 2012, 10:43
I've done a bit of jump flying but only in stuff bigger than a 182. I do on the other hand know more than a couple of people who have done jump flying in 182's and all of them would easily be over 75kg. One would be over 90kg.

The only weight issues we had involved obese tandem masters!

Jack Ranga
21st Dec 2012, 10:49
Charge a 'fat tax' they do in the States :ok:

21st Dec 2012, 11:14
75kg.

Can one reach the pedals if one is only 75kg.:confused:

Metro man
21st Dec 2012, 11:21
Emirates have a Body Mass Index limit for pilots and I think there is one for the UAE licence as well. EK's concern is future health problems rather than take off performance as obviously a B777 is a bit more powerful than a C182.

Ixixly
21st Dec 2012, 11:35
I'm 72kg 601 and I can reach them just fine :ok:

MakeItHappenCaptain
21st Dec 2012, 11:43
Want a CPL & CIR, eh? What are they paying?:E

The Green Goblin
21st Dec 2012, 13:18
I'm in the low 100s, but I'm a big guy :)

Meat bombing is for Kiwis anyway :ok:

Jack Ranga
21st Dec 2012, 21:24
It's a bit silly advertising the fact that you want a skinny dood flying your C182 these days when you are going to secretly pick the skinny guy anyway. In the end it all comes out in the wash, if you are not much chop as a jump pilot you won't last too long!

LewC
21st Dec 2012, 21:53
Do they charge customers over 75kg a premium to compensate for reduced loads,climb performance etc or are the skinny ones expected to subsidise the porkers ?

Ejector
22nd Dec 2012, 11:33
"Hahahaha that ad on AFAP made me lol"
"It's a bit silly advertising the fact that you want a skinny dood flying your C182 these days when you are going to secretly pick the skinny guy anyway. In the end it all comes out in the wash, if you are not much chop as a jump pilot you won't last too long!"

You hit the nail on the head, what I was really getting at was the site it was published on. I wonder what the AFAP advice would be to an operator that refused to employ one of its members on the sole ground of their weight and stipulating a weight below average, I reckon they would through the book at them in the courts or at least make them feel like an idiot. Nice work :}

Rainbow Beach Skydive are probably a bunch of good guys, there are no indications they are dodgy as such or anything like that, one would have thought that they would have just chucked out CV's of people they didn't want than open them selves up in the land of PC Oz and expose them selves to being sued for discrimination......

What will we see next week in the job ads?
Pilot needed, no non married, straight white males who can not claim to be a minority in something. :ugh: