PDA

View Full Version : Work for Australian's overseas

VHFRT
20th Dec 2012, 00:42
I'm currently FO on a turboprop in Australia and have decided that it's time for a midlife crisis. I've always had a desire to work overseas and I figure the time to do it is now before I settle down with a family (and then who knows what the future will bring).

Are there any real options for Aussies to work in Asia/Middle East without extensive jet experience. The majority of my time was spent in GA (about 3000 hours) and the last 12 months has been in RPT operations on the Dash 8.

Any suggestions as to where to look? The majors (CX, KA, EK etc) expect significant experience, however are there other lesser known options?

Flying Mechanic
20th Dec 2012, 03:07
If you applied to CX they would snap ou up. A good Dash 8 contract would be Abu Dhabi aviation, or ANA in Japan . Mid life crisis the worlds your Oyster! I left oz with 2500 hours piston...then Caribean...Dubai...taiwan....now final stop in Hong Kong.

Captain Dart
20th Dec 2012, 05:07
CX are not 'snapping' anyone 'up' at present, except a few zero-timers who hold permanent Hong Kong ID cards.

Hong Kong is a polluted, expensive and overcrowded hole, and CX is no longer offering decent housing allowance or salaries, bases, or a command inside 15 years.

Even if you were 'snapped up' by CX, you would be spending at least four years making radio calls and filling out the computer flight plan before chancing your arm with Cathay's notorious checking system for upgrade to the dizzy height of Junior First Officer.

nitpicker330
20th Dec 2012, 10:32
Yep Captain Dart is correct I'm sad to say. :(

Ramjet555
20th Dec 2012, 15:00
Canada is an option for Australians.
I came as a tourist, landed a job, that officially no Canadian take,
truth be that they had no applicants that they wanted to hire.
Anyhow, one written exam for instrument rating, one ride being
an initial instrument with a PPC in a PA-31 got me a low paying job
but loads of fun and lots of new friends.

I did charters, medivacs, Police Patrols, from the air and every time
the cop on board got someone doing over the ton.

The first winter, that was an experience. -40C starting a PA-31, those days are long gone, now temperature limits of around -25 apply but in some locations,
nice and sunny at -30 is great flying.

lilflyboy262...2
21st Dec 2012, 00:52
Totally agree with the above poster. If you are younger than 35 you can get in on the working holiday visa. It is valid for 1 year. I think for Australians it is extendable.
It gets you in the door where you can then work on a more permanent permit.
Do not regret moving here at all.

pull-up-terrain
21st Dec 2012, 22:54
Have you looked at the 737 gig with Fly Dubai?