PDA

View Full Version : JAA Ground School in 2 stages or 3, LGU are now offering 3 stages

RoosterBooster
15th Apr 2002, 15:42
Hi doods

I was at the Exhibition on Saturday. London Guildhall Uni. are to start splitting the full time ground school into 3 stages instead of the traditional 2 stages. Logic suggestions that peeps will have a better chance of passing first time as you will have less to digest.

This does however add about 2 months to the total length of the course. But I suppose so what as long as you pass first time, ya.

What do people thing about this move ? :D

Delta Wun-Wun
15th Apr 2002, 16:35
If you dip an exam that will add two months to your course.There is an awful lot of material to digest in the exams.If you think it will suit you then why not.:)

The Greaser
15th Apr 2002, 16:38
Any more exam sittings than is necessary is not a good thing in my opinion - more money, more stress, more time. I think many people are quite capable of completing in two sittings, however maybe for those who may need more time to take things in then it may be advisable to do it in three - at least it appears that you have that option now anyway which must be a good thing.

BroomstickPilot
15th Apr 2002, 20:08
Hi Rooster booster,

I'm on a full time ATPL course. I think three stages is a damn good idea, specially if there is some time at the end of each of the three stages to revise before the exams. I do assure you, with two stages the pressure is relentless.

You don't have time to digest the information from one day's work before getting the next day's delivery, and then the next, and the next, and the next!

I have just come to the end of part A (technicals) and I am definitely not taking the whole 8 exams in May. I shall then take part B, probably not taking all 6 of them either. Afterwards, I shall gather together the outstanding odds and sods and take them last. That adds up to three stages doesn't it?

Good luck, RB

Best wishes from the pilot with a cat and a pointy hat.

MorningGlory
16th Apr 2002, 12:04
This has proved a very good calculated move for me. I did my JAR ATPL's in 3 stages, 6, 4 & 4, it took 8 months instead of 6 and I finished in December (that also included ppsc going broke half way through).

My colleagues decided to stick with 2 sittings, suffice to say some of those guys are still sitting them!

Island Hopper
16th Apr 2002, 12:52
I think it's an excellent idea.
You still retain the maximum number of attempts at each exam by taking the 14 over 3 sittings, so why not.

Good call LGU

IH

Quidditch Captain
16th Apr 2002, 13:16
Hey - Broomstick Pilot! Didn't see you at Quidditch practice yesterday.....:)

I understood that the CAA required either 1 or 2 sittings, for the initial attempts.
So there's no option to plan for 3 initial sittings. (Although many people seem to do it this way!)

I haven't trawled through the rules recently however as I'm doing it in 2.

Any clarifications welcome.

QC

Island Hopper
16th Apr 2002, 13:36
It may have been a requirement in the past, to take them over 2 sittings, but no longer.

Nothing to stop you taking them over the full 6 sittings if you wanted.

Not to be advised of course!

RoosterBooster
16th Apr 2002, 16:39
Thanks for the comments doods.

It looks like it's a much better move, especially if you want to really really digest the info.

Good luck to all anyways. Sweet as a nut.

obsidianUK
16th Apr 2002, 17:40
I spoke to Cabair there too, and they are doing their DL course in 4 sittings (or phases as the call it), but its a full year to do your atpls :rolleyes:
Im just still trying to work out if i want to break up the exams like that, of i could handle a 2 phase system with oxford or bristol, both of whose notes I liked the look of better :)

wow, my first ever pprune post :D

peter knapp
17th Apr 2002, 09:09
The decision to go to 3 phases was a result of student feedback. We do listen to what our students have to say!! The course is split up into 3 8 week phases. It is anticipated that with fewer exams to study most students will pass at the first attempt, thus cutting down on the total time to complete the exams.

Alex Whittingham
17th Apr 2002, 09:25
Here at bristol we recommended the ex-PPSC students who had completed module 1 split the module 2 into two bits because PPSC designed an easy module 1 and a pig of a module 2.

It is an option everyone has, if you don't feel up to seven or eight exams at the first sitting you can split it, do four one month and four the next. The advantages are lower exam stress, the disadvantages are that it takes longer and uses up more sittings.

Island Hopper
17th Apr 2002, 10:12
I am very surprised to hear that Cabair are doing DL in 4 sittings.

That means that if you fail any on the 4th sitting, you only get 2 goes to retake them (sitting 5+6), when you are allowed 3 re-takes at each exam.

Bad idea Cabair!
:eek:

IH

Waypoint10
17th Apr 2002, 10:41
Just out of interest how long does it take to complete a Distance Learning Course for your ATPLS with a college such as Bristol or Oxford? (Presuming you pass everything first time)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Waypoint10

Delta Wun-Wun
17th Apr 2002, 17:23
How long is a piece of string?
The beauty of D/L is that it is up to you how long to take.It allows you to work at your own pace.There is enough pressure without putting time constraints on yourself as well.Some people distance learn virtually full time so they complete sooner.Some people have other jobs as well so have less time to study and take longer.
It`s all down to personal choice and circumstances.The only real time constraint is that you must pass all 14 exams within 18 mths of your first sitting.So you could say "As long as you want for the first sitting and 18 mths for the second sitting."

Quidditch Captain
18th Apr 2002, 08:41
There is yet another time constraint buried away in the JAA regs -

You need to complete the 650 hours of study within 18 months of starting the course. (Ref item 2 in appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.285).

This is in addition to the exam related timescale of passing all subjects within 18 months of sitting the first one.

Waypoint10
18th Apr 2002, 13:27
Thanks for the info, another couple of quick questions if anyone can help please:

Realistically what is the shortest timescale for completing the study and exams (by distance learning)?

Is it possible to start the course before you finish your PPL (what are the criteria for starting the course)?

Thanks again for any advice.

Waypoint10

Delta Wun-Wun
18th Apr 2002, 14:08
A class 1 medical,(FIRST without it you go no further) cost = £400
I think you have to have a PPL.Give Bristol a ring they will soon tell you.

johnnypick
22nd Apr 2002, 13:43
I've just received the time table for the 3 stage training at the Guildhall.

NEW SCHEDULE
JAR Course :12 (*New fees will apply from August 2002)
Pt A: 2 Sep - 25 Oct 2002, Exams 4 Nov 2002
Pt B: 11 Nov - 24 Jan 2003, Exams 4,5,6 Feb 2003
Pt C: 10 Feb - 04 Apr 2003, Exams 7, 8, 9, 10 April 2003
JAR Course :13
Pt A: 6 Jan - 28 Feb 2003, Exams 3 March 2003
Pt B: 17 March - 23 May 2003, Exams 3,4,5 June 2003
Pt C: 09 June - 01 August 2003, Exams 4,5,6,7 August 2003
JAR Course:14
Pt A: 17 March - 23 May 2003, Exams 2 June 2003
Pt B: 09 June - 01 August 2003, Exams 5,6,7 August 2003
Pt C: To be confirmed
JAR Course:15 (Provisional)
Pt A: 09 June - 01 August 2003, Exams 4 August 2003
Pt B: To be confirmed
Pt C: To be confirmed
Part A subjects: 1) Principles of Flight, 2) Airframes/Engines/Electrics, 3) Performance
Part B subjects:1) General Navigation, 2) Radio Navigation, 3) Instrument/Electronic,
4) VFR Communications, 5) IFR Communications, 6) Air Law & ATC
Part C subjects: 1) Operational Procedures, 2) Flight Planning & Monitoring, 3)Mass & Balance
4) Human Performance & Limitations, 5) Meteorology

Unfortunately the new course starts in Sept. and I cannot wait that long.

200KIAS
25th Apr 2002, 13:43
Rooster Booster,

Why don't you stop Roostering around and get on wiv it.
Piece in de mid east.:p :D