PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona to city

vctenderness
16th Dec 2012, 13:50
Any info on transport links from airport to city would be appreciated.

I understand there is a rail link which looks good but has anyone here used it and how convenient is it?

I have to get to the cruise terminal where my hotel is located so guess a taxi from station will be required.

Thanks in advance.

Tableview
16th Dec 2012, 14:07
There is a train every half hour, it takes about half an hour, and it stops at Paseo de Gracia and Sants which are metro interchange points. It's less than €5.

Paseo de Gracia is the best option, you get the metro to Drassanes which is close to the ferry terminal.

However, it can be a long walk to the RENFE station at the airport, depending on which terminal you arrive at, and also a long walk from Drassanes to the pier - but I don't know where your hotel is.

A taxi is the easiest option, unless you want to do a fair amount of walking, and will cost you about €35 unless they rip you off!

zondaracer
16th Dec 2012, 14:53
There is also the Aerobus which is about the same price but much more regular and drops you off at Plaça Espanya, Universitat, and Catalunya. From Catalunya get the metro to Drassanes

25F
17th Dec 2012, 17:32
If you're arriving at the main new terminal (T1) there's a free shuttle bus to the train station, which is near T2. If arriving at T2 it can be quite a long walk to get to the platform!

For a ticket, your best bet is almost certainly a T-10 which costs 9.45 Euros and covers ten mixed-mode (i.e. bus + metro) journeys within the central zone (which includes the airport). These can be purchased from machines in the ticket hall - fairly straightforward. There's usually some English-speaking RENFE employees on hand to help confused foreigners. The T-10 can be shared by a group - no need to buy one each, just keep feeding it through the ticket barrier and hand it back to the next person. If you are staying within Barcelona day or two you are bound to want to get one of these anyway. If you are not, a single zone train ticket is 2 Euros.

A return ticket on the Aerobus is 9.95 Euros, but it is likely to get you to the city centre much more quickly.

Johnny F@rt Pants
17th Dec 2012, 21:18
It also depends on the size of your group. If there's 3 or more of you then a taxi is the best option. Our taxi was approximately €30 to the centre of the city. If you take the train or a bus you still have to manage to get across the city from where they drop you, not the easiest of things to do when you're laden with luggage. By the time you've faffed about doing all that messing you're as well off jumping in a taxi for the sake of a few €'s outside the terminal of your arrival and you'll be at your hotel in 20-30 minutes.

vctenderness
18th Dec 2012, 08:37
Thanks for very helpful replies. The multi journey ticket looks like a good idea.

Mrs VCtenderness can hump the luggage up and down the stairs and I'll feed the ticket in the machines.

Hipennine
18th Dec 2012, 09:20
The aerobus is way more frequent (typically every ten minutes), and outside of peak commuting times, is very quick to Placa Espanya or Placa Catalunya, then change to metro or taxi for the port