PDA

View Full Version : RAF Observer

Kaykia
15th Dec 2012, 16:26
My father was one of the chosen few to go out to Rhodesia to learn to fly in 43 as he had two left hands he ended up as a Navigator on B24s dropping bangy thing on the Japs . He was also an Air Observer ? what was that trade ? I stIll have his N wings and O wings but want to know what he needed to do to become an Observer.

Thank you all in advance.

KK

MReyn24050
15th Dec 2012, 17:41
As I understand it the Observers' Flying Badge was originally adopted in 1915 by the RFC, its use was continued by the RAF until superseded by the Navigators' and Air Bombers' badges in 1942. It has however been discussed within PPRuNe before http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/491009-raf-observers.html

longer ron
15th Dec 2012, 18:39
Hi Kaykia and welcome to prune :)
Do you have any details of where your Father did his Observer/Nav training ?

rgds LR

longer ron
16th Dec 2012, 17:48
I will post a link and some pics now because I am away next week.
Assuming your father stayed in Rhodesia to do Nav training (which he may or may not have done !)
He would have gone to a school similar to 24 AOS (Air Observer School) at RAF Moffat near Gwelo Rhodesia.

I was based near Gwelo (at Thornhill AFB) in 1983/84 as an a/c engineer !
But in my spare time I flew with the Midlands Gliding Club - they were based at the old RAF Moffat airfield and the clubhouse was in the old control tower...

Old Control Tower
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/zimbabwe/img020.jpg

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/zimbabwe/img021.jpg

old perimeter track looking south
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/zimbabwe/img022.jpg

Near the Main Runway
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/zimbabwe/img023.jpg

I could not get the link to work but here is some of the relevant info from the Rhodesian website...

A fortnight afterwards, the first batch of cadets (officially termed "pupils" in those days) reached Moffat to be trained as Navigators (then "Air Observers"). It is interesting to note the composition of that first course—19 Rhodesians, 10 United Kingdom, one South African, three Australian, and one American. Suffice it to say that many of these men have long since completed their duty in distant parts, and some have given the most that can be asked of any man. If their history, complete, could be traced, it would make a story of rare reading, but they must be left to the memories of those who knew them better than we. It is, in a way, unfortunate that no true record can be kept of the exploits of trainees. But it would have been a vast task, and, in the main, any knowledge of the whereabouts or experi¬ences of men trained here depends upon personal letters to friends.

They were a cross-section of Empire life, these men: farmers, clerks, school masters, students, chemists. Their standards of education were undoubtedly high, and academic accomplishments were liberally sprinkled amongst them.

A few days later the first pupil Air Gunners arrived—16 Rhodesians, 10 United Kingdom, and three Australians.

Moffat was the first and only Bombing and Gunnery School in Southern Rhodesia, and its facilities for training were naturally at this stage undeveloped. Discussions took place, plans were made for the commencement of flying, theoretical and synthetic training, and Air Commodore (now Air Vice Marshal) C. W. Meredith, C.B.E., A.F.C., Air Officer Commanding the RHODESIAN AIR TRAINING GROUP, visited the camp with staff officers.

These first courses were, of course, somewhat handicapped. They were not, for instance, able to draw so much upon wide experience in this form of training as cadets to-day, after years of war. But the observer pupils, staying as they did for several months, were able to take advantage of the natural improvement in the smooth running of training organisation. The gunners were at Moffat for only a comparatively short period. When the first course passed out, nevertheless, in September, 1941, their accomplishments at this new School were of a commendable standard, and there is little doubt that everyone found their bearing impressive.

An L/A/C Dance was the first pupil to "pass out" from Moffat as a commissioned officer Air Gunner: his destination was Singapore.

THE FIRST INSPECTION

On September 19th, 1941, Moffat was visited by the (then) Governor of Southern Rhodesia, Sir Herbert Stanley. He came with the Rhodesian Ministers for Air and Defence, was met by a guard of honour at the main gates, and inspected the hangars and various sections of the station. Sir Herbert lunched in the Officers' Mess, leaving at night. Photographs of his visit were taken, and the " old stagers " will probably recall the rather warm bugler who, in novel manner, preceded the Governor to each section.

SETTLING DOWN

An initial surprise for the airmen at Moffat had soon manifested itself pleasurably food. On board the troopship it had been, to put it mildly, austere. The epicurean tendencies of the modern airman came quickly to the surface for that first mid-day meal in the mess. The banana was a thing to be wondered at, and butter was then un-rationed. When one cut a satisfying segment, conscience twinged.

Rationing of various commodities came to Rhodesia gradually, and the initial abundance could not, of course, last. But at least those who have served at Moffat can hardly grumble over their fare, when they remember the stringency in Britain. And the cafes and restaurants of this Colony have rarely presented scanty menus.

Headquarters and Flag Masts

GWELO

The physical environment in which several hundred men found themselves was, on the whole, a common place one. The town of Gwelo, some two miles away, is small, with a white population of some 2000. Jacaranda trees line one side of the immediate approach to the town's centre, but the most attractive roads are leading off the main thoroughfare. Shops are not numerous, but relatively large, and there is the usual "tributary" commerce of the small Indian stores. It is a fact that a surprising variety of tongues may be heard in Gwelo. A long kopje (hill) seems to stare over part of the dusty road from the camp to the town, curving round and away across country. Thick, rough grass flourishes abundantly about the stunted trees and bushes: the road gleams in the sun. Beyond the aerodrome the veld stretches boundlessly: hills show dark but indistinctly on the farthest horizon: a heat-haze dances indefatigably. The predominant colour seems to be a strange greenish-khaki.

There were already in existence two R.A.F. camps in this area: Thornhill and Guinea Fowl. Thus the uniform was no novelty to the Rhodesians.

To a small group of men who strolled into town on the first, quiet evening, an Afrikaans youngster regaled some mildly disturbing tales of snakes. The airmen stepped lightly and warily, expecting to confront an indignant cobra at any moment. It gradually became obvious, however, that African jungle-life, a la Hollywood, was not at its best here.

TRAINING

It is not possible, for obvious reasons, to enlarge upon the complete technical organisation of a training camp, or its work.

The Cadet, training at Moffat to be a Navigator, would arrive from Initial Training Wing, where he would have assimilated the elementary principles of aircrew work. Once at Moffat, he would pass, in stages, through Air Crew Pool and Elementary Navigation, into the Bombing and Gunnery School.

To the average Cadet, the climax of his initial work is his first flight. He may like to affect an outward indifference to this part of his training but his first log-book entry is still made with a certain glow.

The greater part of the Cadet's time in the air is spent on navigational exercises, including,, towards the end of his course, long-distance trips to the Union of South Africa; sometimes to Northern Rhodesia.

His bombing is equally important. Absolute failure in any subject can, in fact, prevent him from ultimately sporting that "brevet" for ever and a day.

Night exercises were carried out extensively at Moffat, both in navigation and bombing. It is, of course, hardly necessary to add that the cadet-navigator had to cover several fields—meteorology, astro-work, photography, aircraft recognition, signals, gunnery, etc.

The Cadet Gunner was at Moffat for a considerably shorter period, and his course was naturally less extensive.

His flying work was controlled from a special Gunnery Section. Particularly in this sphere was an increase in training efficiency noticeable. Gunnery Instructors became plentiful, and were able to devote more time to individual cadets, and to fly on each detail.

A visitor to Moffat on December 12 th,1941, was a man who has since died whilst occupying the office of High Commissioner for South Africa to Great Britain. Colonel Deneys Reitz, whose books "Commando" and "No Outspan," attracted so much attention, was at that time Deputy Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa. A big, broad-shouldered man, keen-eyed, he inspected the station in company with Mr. Tredgold, Southern Rhodesian Minister for Justice and Defence.

In December, 1941, the first course of Air Observers passed out from Moffat.

You should be able to get on the Rhodie website by using this url or just by googling RAF Moffat...

http://rhodesianheritage.********.co.uk/2010/03/story-of-royal-air-force-station-moffat.html

rgds LR

ancientaviator62
17th Dec 2012, 12:20
I have access to a copy of the log book of a chap who trained as an Observer in 1941 and can provide details of the flying training required to qualify. Let me know if you are interested. It cannot have been very different (WX apart !) from the Rhodesia training.