PDA

View Full Version : New Spin - Old Theme.....

Ex FSO GRIFFO
14th Dec 2012, 07:04
Well, here's a new spin on an old theme....
Carry on No 1......

From Avweb today,

"Jets Causing Ice Cap Melt: Climatologist

A California climatologist says the Arctic Circle should be off limits to high-flying jets because their emissions are likely a major factor in the rapid melting of the polar ice cap. Mark Jacobson, a professor of civil engineering at Stanford University, told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation he believes black soot particles from jet engines are creating an unnaturally warm layer in the atmosphere over the Arctic and that might be causing the ice to melt below. Arctic icepack levels were at their lowest ever this past summer and global warming has been getting the blame, but Jacobsen's theory suggests it's more localized. "One of the effects of the aircraft is they emit a lot of soot into the upper atmosphere and the sunlight is absorbed by that soot, and the air heats up, so you get this kind of elevated, heated air layer where the aircraft fly," Jacobson said. Jacobson also says he doesn't expect the skies to empty over the Arctic anytime soon.

Transcontinental flights have been using polar routes for decades, but the development of longer-range aircraft and the decision by Russia in 1998 to allow overflights of its territory have turned the Arctic into a busy place. More than 50,000 flights a year are conducted north of the 60th parallel. It's estimated the world's airlines save $100 million a year in fuel costs by taking the northern shortcut. Jacobson said avoiding the Arctic would result in more fuel being burned but he said the overall impact on the environment would be less than continuing the flights.

OVAH!!
:8

404 Titan
14th Dec 2012, 08:01
So we have a Civil Engineer also calling himself a Climatologist. I think the good professor should go back to building bridges.

The Green Goblin
14th Dec 2012, 08:27
Yep, build a bridge and get over it!

I wonder how long it will take for Pprunes resident climatology expert, and global warming alarmist to appear ;)

Andy_RR
14th Dec 2012, 10:41
I dunno. If he's right, then the rapid melting of the arctic ice pack has nothing to do with global "climate change" but is a local phenomenon.

The real truth is no one can be sure either way but you'll be taxed both ways anyhow... :{

Ex FSO GRIFFO
16th Dec 2012, 01:21
Re 'Kind of elevated, heated air layer where the aircraft fly....'

Anybody noticed any OAT changes at FL330 - 400 between say, SY and ML,
or WSSS / LHR or any of the major hubs and the rest of the world?

Temps still at around -50C or so..??

Anybody..??

PA39
16th Dec 2012, 01:40
OMFG what next!

bushpig
16th Dec 2012, 02:10
Plenty of critical responses here. I'm not throwing my two bobs worth in either way. Just wondering what the panel(s) of experts think the "real" reason is for the paring back of ice fronts, in polar regions and in mountainous regions.
The degree of change is very much faster than what is supposed to have occurred with variations around the various ice ages. ie in the planets history so far.
So is it natural variation, human influenced change or just a load of baloney and not happening at all. Opinions?

By George
16th Dec 2012, 02:15
To me it is not warming, the last few winters in Europe have been colder than ever. Had to descend a few times to keep the fuel temps in the normal range during the winters of 2010 and 2011. At 39,000 -63c not unusual. This is what the temperature was over Poland early one morning and the BA 777 behind us was the one that suffered a double flame-out on short final into LHR. ( ice in the fuel). Everybody was asking to come down or go faster due to fuel temperatures that morning. I'm not convinced it's 'warming'. What I did notice over the years was the height of the pollution layer. It increased significantly, especially over China.
Climate changes naturally anyway, look what happened to the Hairy Elephants.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Dec 2012, 05:33
A "Broad Picture' of this Global Warming.....

Enjoy...
Indigenous Weather Knowledge - Introduction to Climate Culture (http://www.bom.gov.au/iwk/climate_culture/index.shtml)

Cheers:ok:

Ultralights
17th Dec 2012, 07:02
pffftt, what a load of crap, warming started 14,000 yrs ago.... everyone knows, every scientist ever, i have been told, agrees it started in 1998 or something... and has nothing to do with coming out of an ice ago not that long ago.

flying-spike
17th Dec 2012, 20:32
It is patently clear that global warming is directly linked to CASA and its preparations for resumption of the Senate Enquiry.
As Skull and his minions prepare for even more questioning, pallet loads of shredded documents are sent, quite correctly, to the basement worm farm for recycling into liquid fertilizer and fake pony pooh for local consumption.
A pungent odor, a bi-product of this process on the original small scale has always been blamed on Skull's stogies as he has sought refuge from the hectic pace of regulatory reform upstairs.
However, the massive increase of material deposited in the worm farm has led to exponential warming of Fort Fumble even to the extent that the growing fleet of convertibles in the basement car park are rotting their soft tops to the pungent funk and elevated temperatures.
In a desperate attempt to stave off discovery of their foul deeds CASA personnel have hit upon the solution of ducting the massive flow of hot, pooh smelling gases to source of all their State Safety Program woes to Canada, specifically Montreal.
What was thought to be the solution Brisbane Airport traffic problems, the Airport Link tunnel is actually the inlet for the massive duct that moves this heated mass of pooh particle laden air north to ICAO.
Unfortunately even the northern winter is not enough to drag the temperature of the Fort Fumble fumes down and it now raising the temperature of the northern air mass.
Apparently traces of pony pooh particles in the tropopause which have until now baffled Canadian scientists are now being linked to fine particles of CAOs and CARs that have escaped unprocessed from the overloaded Fort Fumble worm farm. An ICAO official on inspecting the microscopic particle under their regulatory microscope was heard to to declare " this sort of sh!t could only come from CASA"

MakeItHappenCaptain
18th Dec 2012, 07:01
Contrails, I tells ya...:eek:

darkroomsource
18th Dec 2012, 08:27
I saw something the other day that shows satellite images of the two poles and they were showing that the southern ice cap has increased in size by the same amount that the northern ice cap has decreased in size.

Then I read that the amount of fuel burned in the last few decades IS the cause of the rise in sea levels, but not because of carbon emissions, but because of water emissions. The guy showed that the amount of water put out by the burning of the amount of fuel adds up to the total amount of water in the rising sea-levels.

I have to say that if this 'global warming' keeps up, we're all going to freeze to death. Because it's not getting warmer.

Actually, I think I want governments and companies to stop trying to reduce carbon emissions, because it's getting colder not warmer. I want my global warming back.