PDA

View Full Version : CFS(H) Sqn Association

Dick Allen
12th Dec 2012, 09:00
CFS(H) SQN ASSOCIATION

After discussions with the current OC CFS(H) Sqn, Sqn Ldr Mike Jordan, we are trawling for interest in the formation of a CFS(H) Squadron Association. The intention would be for a very informal, social “Old Boys’” association for former staff members of CFS(H) Sqn of any vintage. We envisage a small-ish one-off administrative payment for membership, which would cover the cost of a tie or bow-tie. There would be two self-funded functions each year; a traditional CFS(H) Sqn Champagne Breakfast, and a Summer Family Barbeque, both functions to take place at RAF Shawbury. At these, the incumbent OC CFS(H) Sqn would take the opportunity to update members on the “State of the Union”. Newsletters would be sent to those not attending the function.

Mike has kindly invited me to act as President, assuming this aspiration gets off the ground (vertically OGE of course!). So that we can gauge the possible support for such an Association, would any potential members please register their interest with the Association Secretary Desig – the Sqn Deputy Trg Officer, who is available through RAF Shawbury Ext 7347 (01939-250351 ext 7347) .

Thank you

Dick Allen

ShyTorque
12th Dec 2012, 09:30
I'd predict you would find interest from UK mil QHIs (or ex mil) who served out on the squadrons and OCUs, if the scope for membership could be widened to encompass them too.

After all, in addition to the CFS waterfront staff we all went through CFS(H) and some were only disallowed from serving on the unit by the "exigences of the service" (i.e. by not getting on the right side of that nasty postings chappie down at Barnwood/Innsworth)! :(

jayteeto
12th Dec 2012, 12:42
And I thought you just were not good enough. I am in for an (H) old boys club. To be honest, the Cranwell do's were ok, but a little bit dull. My last champagne breakfast was at Shawbury quite a few years ago. At least I think it was............ The whole day is a bit of a blur :confused:

lsh
12th Dec 2012, 13:11
Yes please!

lsh
:E

teeteringhead
12th Dec 2012, 14:57
I think I remember that one jayteeto, or at least as much/little as you do! ;)

Master of None
12th Dec 2012, 15:19
I'm in Dick I'll speak to the aforementioned D Trg Off! :D

ShyTorque
12th Dec 2012, 16:24
And I thought you just were not good enough.

I probably wasn't. So they sent me to the other CFS instead, to do the "non-rotary" course, too - just so I could get some practice.

Cornish Jack
12th Dec 2012, 16:32
Nice thought, but 213 miles each way (and E-W too!) a bit too much. For those who can, enjoy!:ok:

serf
12th Dec 2012, 17:21
Will there be a separate roped off area for SARBOYS, incl Crab@

hihover
12th Dec 2012, 21:41
There should be a roped off area for them, I'd suggest behind the MT yard. Riggers and Crab.....only kidding!

Count me in please (in the Pongo Det).

Tam Macklin

riggersnr
13th Dec 2012, 08:00
Dick: You must be a top bloke to come up with an idea like this.....count me in. Please permit me to make a couple of observations/requests:

1. I like the idea of a roped off area for SAR Boys - so civilised!
2. I would like a seat near the toilet - at my age you have to plan ahead!
3. I would like Hazel (Honorary Member?) to hold my...er...hand...

Semper Vigilate...as they say in the SAR World.

Best yuletide wishes to all,

riggersnr

jayteeto
13th Dec 2012, 09:24
it may be her granddaughter by now.........

teeteringhead
13th Dec 2012, 11:42
It was certainly some years ago that she handed over the "active" part of the job to her daughter, and moved into "management" herself...

.... happens to all of us I suppose.........:{

Old-Duffer
15th Dec 2012, 16:23
Here’s a thought regarding a CFS(H) association.

When the helicopters left South Cerney 1963 or so, they went to Ternhill, later Tern Hill and now probably Ternhill again. If one was on the ground staff at Little Rissington, one could become a member of the CFS Association but no such privilege was carried over from Cerney to Ternhill/Shawbury. It followed that only QHIs were eligible to join the CFS Association and until the accolade QHCI was instigated, even the guys who trained the crewmen were excluded.

In constituting a CFS(H) Association, you could put right this long festering injustice by including those who served on the ground staff at Ternhill and then Shawbury – just a thought!

Old Duffer

PS Please post more about Hazel, she’s looking forward to reading it.

Rigga
15th Dec 2012, 21:30
Wot Old duffer sed - seconded
(ex Whirlwind Rigga - Tern Hill and Shawbury)

Dick Allen
4th Feb 2013, 09:40
I write again to bring this back to page one and update some info on the emerging Association. We will consider extending the qualification for membership, but that will be for the wider "body of the kirk", not something I should or would want to impose.

There have been a number of inquiries already to the Dep Trg Off/Assoc Sec Desig, who can also be contacted on
[email protected]

It is hoped to launch the Association formally at a traditional CFS(H) "Working Breakfast Symposium" ;) due to take place within the next couple of months or so (I believe publication of actual dates is discouraged on Pprune). I can provide the planned date by PM if anyone wishes.

And Hazel as an Hon Member ........ hmmmmmmm. :E

DA

ShyTorque
4th Feb 2013, 10:10
[email protected]

Aaaw, not only have they listened, but they've even put me in their email address... :cool: