PDA

View Full Version : Females only!

Hannah222
11th Dec 2012, 13:26
I'm doing an extended project on Women in Aviation specifically “How are women represented in the aviation industry and is this regarded positively?” and I am researching the topic. (This includes mechanics, air traffic controllers as well as pilots)I have found lots of male opinions on the subject from war times and some on present day. Many are negative with reasons such as 'women aren't capable of flying' to 'women should be stay at home mothers'. Obviously there are lots of positive opinions as well.
But, I want to know what women think about women flying. Have you found any problems in achieving your role of a pilot (if you've done that) or prejudice in training or actually in your job? Are males and females equally supportive of you? What were your views of the aviation industry before you joined and were they proved right? Do you think women in the 1930's and during the war had positive impacts on the aviation industry? Is there anything else you'd like to say that may help with my question? :)
I guess males can answer too, if they feel so inclined.

flybymike
11th Dec 2012, 15:08
As a mere male I always love to hear a female voice on the radio whether it be ATC or another pilot.
Bring it on I say...

aluminium persuader
11th Dec 2012, 15:38
If you want some answers I would suggest you re-post on the professional forums too - ATC issues, Mil, Biz etc

ap

Heston
11th Dec 2012, 16:05
Hannah, you don't need the apostrophe. It should be "Females only!":ok:

Anyway good luck with the project. My experience is that aviation is one industry where females are more likely to be accepted than average - always there will be exceptions to that of course. Though attitudes across many sectors have improved enormously in the last 30 years - so you will need to judge the opinions you get in terms of the time scale to which they apply.

My opinion can be safely ignored if you like cos I'm male and old school;)

H

BEagle
11th Dec 2012, 16:14
Hannah222, I recommend that you get in touch with the British Women Pilots Association at [email protected] .

A very enthusiastic group who would undoubtedly point you in the right direction.

Aileron Drag
11th Dec 2012, 16:52
Hannah,

The person who has most impressed me in my career was a former ATA pilot, Joan Hughes. I spent a fantastic summer being trained by her in PA28s for an Assistant Instructor's Rating. She was inspirational - simple as that.

Years later, I had occasion to fly with, and carry out simulator check/refreshers on several female First Officers on long-haul jet aircraft. In my own experience, the lady pilots were universally professional, personable, and technically very good indeed. Maybe my two fleets were lucky, but I heard much the same from pals on shorthaul fleets.

Perhaps the ladies were so good because they had 'tried harder' to get into the business - I don't know. Heaven knows, most of us blokes found it difficult.

The most common fear I heard from older pilots before the first ladies arrived in the airline was that a woman of slight stature would be unable to 'hold' a heavy jet straight following an engine failure at rotation. Goodness knows how many times I saw that in the simulator, but I never saw a problem at all.

It is perhaps because of the ATA pilots, like Joan, that even the 'old' wartime pilots did not seem to be prejudiced in any way. My generation certainly were not (born 1950! :E).

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
11th Dec 2012, 18:52
All the lady instructors I’ve flown with over the years have been very good, both as pilots and for their ability to instruct.

Some of the ladies on this website (http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/) are in the commercial side of aviation, although as the name suggest, that’s not the focus of the group.

NudgingSteel
11th Dec 2012, 21:03
Aileron Drag mentioned the ATA - if you can find the TV documentary that was shown earlier in the year about their lady pilots, it's well worth a watch.

They showed astonishing skill - often single-handedly flying heavy bombers with no prior type training other than reading the handbook, often in marginal weather. Nearly as impressive is the modesty of those interviewed so many years later, who saw it as just "doing their bit". It's impossible to imagine racking up so many type in your logbook with so little conversion training, crew support etc these days. Humbling (and inspiring) stuff.

And from a modern perspective (I'm a bloke by the way!), the radio is a great leveller - you can tell if the pilot or ATC is male or female, but that's about it. You can't tell age or appearance, and you have no idea of skills - the person could have 50 hours or 5,000 hours experience, the pilot could be Captain or FO; the ATCO could be a trainee or have 30 years experience etc., so assumptions based on gender seem to be fortunately rare (at least at the operational end).

sevenstrokeroll
11th Dec 2012, 21:16
male here:

first off, what is an "assistant instructor rating"?

second...I've never flown with a woman pilot who was as good as the best men pilots

but...some were good pilots, just not great.

that doesn't mean there aren't great women pilots out there, I just haven't met one in 37 years of aviation.

oh, and I've flown with plenty of mediocre guy pilots too.

But there is one thing I do object to...when I see a woman get hired with "x" number of flying hours and needs to go through training 3 times, and a man with "2X" hours gets hired and only has to go through training once.

mad_jock
11th Dec 2012, 21:23
Its a pre JAR British instructors rating which meant you had to be supervised and couldn't send student solo for the first time for circuits, nav or night.

They then after getting a certain number of hours did the course on teaching instruments then they sat a flights test and ground pratical teaching test and became full FI's with no restrictions and able to operate unsupervised.

taybird
11th Dec 2012, 23:19
In addition to the bwpa, I'd recommend speaking to the Royal Aeronautical Society. They recently ran an entire conference about excellence in all fields of aviation, almost exclusively attended by women.

Personally, I've always worked in male dominated environments and have never experienced a problem. I work hard and play hard, as simple as that. I've been lucky enough to do some pretty cool, pretty privileged flying in very male dominated arenas. But I don't think there should be "more women", just that those who really want to fly should be encouraged to get over any of their own preconceived ideas that they couldn't or shouldn't.

Fact is that a lot of women aren't interested, and genetically tend to be less strong in the skills that are required as a pilot. That tendency doesn't mean that everyone is that way inclined, in the same way as mathematics and computer science are male dominated as a result of the same tendencies. The world's first computer programmer was a woman and there are plenty of very fine female mathematicians, just not as many as men.

As for other female pilots, I respect them in the same way as I respect all pilots, on merit alone. If they've worked hard and know what they're doing, and fly with a professional attitude and true knowledge, that's great. If they make silly excuses for bad decisions / actions, or shirk responsibilities such as cleaning the aeroplane, refuelling or even getting them in and out of the hangar, then they gain less respect. But the same applies for men as for women.

I have several friends who are women pilots who I have the greatest admiration for. I also have several male pilot friends for whom I have similarly great respect and admiration. I consider myself lucky to be in this position. My best mate since high school is an engineer. I also know several pilots, mostly male, for whom I have much less respect. This is more often on the basis of testosterone fuelled decision making, which explains the more male representation of this group. Plus it should also be borne in mind that for every exceptional pilot, there are dozens of merely mediocre pilots. This is the case particularly in light aviation but even in commercial aviation there are very few truly awesome pilots. I don't consider myself to be one of them, although I always strive to be the very best that I can be.

I also have some light aircraft engineering experience and perform air/ground duties as well as Airfield Fire Service duties so I am aware that I'm probably not the most usual candidate. I have the same experience and feelings about colleagues in these fields as I do with pilots.

The main difference I find as a woman is that people tend to remember you more, simply because in a room full of men you're bound to stand out. This can work as both a positive and a negative.

Hope this helps.

A and C
12th Dec 2012, 08:07
Thirty years in this business and counting, so far only one really bad femail.

On the whole all ( but one) the women that I have worked with have been well above average both in professional skills and ease to work with, this includes a number of Avionic technicians and only one airframe & engine technician.

I wish the numbers were so good for the men, the worst of who had ego's the size of a small planet.

cats_five
12th Dec 2012, 08:45
male here:

first off, what is an "assistant instructor rating"?
<snip>

Power or gliding? In UK gliding an AI can teach all the flying, send students solo, but has to be supervised by a full cat - a full instructor. Of course the EASA stuff will change it all...

fisbangwollop
12th Dec 2012, 09:39
Aviation would be a sadder place without them :cool:

Flyingmac
12th Dec 2012, 11:06
Svetlana Kapanina Aerobatic Pilot. - YouTube

Here's one who flies better than I ever will.

B2N2
12th Dec 2012, 12:41
Male here;

I feel that any industry benefits from a mixed work force.
Mixed not as in 1:100 but 50:50.
And not in menial positions either, 50/50 across the board.
Even though I'm probably a chauvinist pig deep inside I hate that 'men-only workplace' environment.

Hannah222
12th Dec 2012, 13:08
Thanks Guys! Taybird, quite sure you were the only female response so far!
I do maths and physics a level and both have about 4 girls to 12 guys and at the airfield today I was one of 2 females so yeah maybe girls are usually less interested in the maths side of it.
I've been tallying male to female atc conversations (from America as we can't listen here?) and the number of males speaking on the radio is probably 10 times more every time! Though quite a few female air traffic controllers (apparently we're good at multitasking!). How about engineers? I'm guessing still very male dominated?
Those who say they've had excellent female company, is that because women have to be so much better than men to get a job in the first place, so no average women pilots? or because we're just good?
I read a bit about the ww2 pilots, WASPS and ATA, and how they were flying heavier aircraft all the time but then one general said they couldn't fly transatlantic and that stopped women progressing aircraft type.
Do you really think 50.50 is the best thing? I think so.
Also, would you find women distracting in the cockpit for 8 hours? One comment from March on here and I think I'm ignoring him!
Oh and Heston, I don't think I have an apostrophe, and AP thanks I'll repost somewhere else.
Any more girls on pprune?

localflighteast
12th Dec 2012, 15:21
I’ve been debating whether to reply to this thread or not, I’mnever really sure how to respond. I have a background inengineering/physics and yes it was very male dominated when I started off butapart from one ******** professor I don’t ever recall gender being an issue.

Same with flying, I happen to have a male instructor, myhusband happened to have a female one. I’ve never really noticed that mybreasts* or lack of Y chromosome ever being an issue, for me or the people atthe flying school.

Questions like this make me a little bit sad. I’d kind ofassumed that things have moved on to the point where such questions are noteven relevant any more. Do pilots really judge someone by gender any more? Youneed a certain degree of intelligence to be involved in the aviation industryas a pilot or engineer etc. Usually** that precludes most irrational prejudices,in fact I’d go as far as to say this is one of the few industries where it is blatantlyobvious if you are any good or not. I suspect that is the real yardstick bywhich people are judged regardless of gender. Or am I just wildly naïve andoptimistic ?

* I did once land so hard I bounced my wire out my bra andnear stabbed myself in the eye!

** Usual caveats apply!

flyingfemme
12th Dec 2012, 15:50
I've never been made to feel anything less than welcome in any part of aviation.

My background is engineering and computer programming so I'm well used to male dominated environments and don't mind a bit of banter. Mostly I run the business/financial side of an aviation business but I'm licenced to fly everything on the fleet (even if I don't do it as much as I'd like) and find it helps to understand the basics.

Pilots and aircraft owners are always pleased when anyone (at all) shows an interest in their hobby/job/beloved toy and I've been offered some great flights in lovely aircraft all over the world.

I've met female pilots and female engineers but can't think of any female avionics technicians........I'm sure there are some out there. Female aircraft dealers, traffic controllers, line staff.......

I don't think there's any malice in the low numbers of females in aviation; it's just that most women never consider it an option. The more we introduce ladies to aircraft the more of them come to work with us.

flybymike
12th Dec 2012, 15:53
Here's one who flies better than I ever will.
And probably a damn sight better looking....

Echo Romeo
12th Dec 2012, 17:32
Hannah, You're not the Hannah who flew in an Auster with the Auster club chairman at a young Eagles event by any chance?

Grob Queen
12th Dec 2012, 17:51
Hello Hannah,

I am a female Student pilot learning in a male dominated club, and there are only three female pilots, all of us students! For much of my time with the club, I ahev been the only female member.

I am learning to fly purely as a hobby (although I may decide on a career change to instruct, but thats further down the line!) Its been my ambition to learn to fly and all the chaps in the club have been really welcoming (well, except one old duffer).

I think the chaps tend to respect female pilots if they are willing to muck in with EVERYTHING. As Taybird says, with cleaning aircraft, refuelling, checks, cleaning and opening the hangar etc. Also, form my perspective, I am willing to learn from ANYONE and I will privately filter out anything which i think is gung ho etc.

I also have worked all my career in a male dominated environment and as Margaret Thatcher said (and I love this quote, sorry you non-Thatcherites) she said that for a woman to get on in a man's world, we have to be twice as good as the men....and I tend to agree.

I think maybe perhaps females think that aviation is a male area only. The problem is that there are so many ingrained issues in the minds of both men and women that they will take a long time to resolve.

two true brilliant stories from the ATA. One, female spitfire pilot had to make a forced landing in a field of cows....she stayed INSIDE her aircraft as she preferred taking her chances with the possibility of an exploding fuel tank, rather than take her chances with the cattle!

The other, a female |ATA pilot landed a Lancaster at an airfield, the chaps surrounded her and asked where the pilot was...she replied that she was the pilot and they were all amazed that she could ahve handled such a large aircraft!

Well, hope that helps, and good luck wth the project. PM me if you want to know anything more.

GQ

DeeCee
12th Dec 2012, 17:52
Hannah, it doesn't make any difference at all. If there is a lack of women pilots it must be because they are not attracted to learning to fly for some reason. I have met women pilots and instructors and they have been exactly on the same level as men.

xrayalpha
12th Dec 2012, 18:25
I was shocked when I saw this bit of news a few years ago:

British Airways' first female pilot has been selected to fly the first plane to land at Heathrow's new Terminal 5.
Capt. Lynn Barton, 51, became BA's first woman pilot in 1987.

Basically because it was a recently as 1987 when BA never had a female pilot!

I remember being at university in the late 70s and early 80s and - although I had quite a few friends very active in women's groups - never thought that a major airline didn't have female pilots.

The biggest hurdle is that few people wish to the first - they may wish like heck to be a (whatever) but if they would be the first (whatever) then it also throws up too many other hurdles. Such as: promotion prospects possible being poor because you will, obviously, be under greater scrutiny and you will have to disrupt the existing long-established hierarchy.

So I was really pleased the other week on one of my rare commercial flights to find the flight deck was all-female.

But the clear career paths now available - there were even getting near an even number of female pilots as male pilots in the Bush Pilots series - the big question is why still so few women in aviation.

Even in sport flying, about 3or 4% of the British Microlight Aircraft Association members are female.

Maybe it is the very male smell in the toilets!

Whatever, I wish you all the luck with your research.

Aviation would be a far better place with at least 50 per cent more pilots - which is what we would have if we had more female students, to start with.

sevenstrokeroll
12th Dec 2012, 20:05
"a woman to get on in a man's world, we have to be twice as good as the
men....and I tend to agree."

well, I can't imagine anyone,male or female, being twice the pilot Lindbergh, Wilbur and Orville, James Doolitle is/was.

I think this statement is really absurd. And I do like Margaret Thatcher.

I think the statement is equally absurd when applied to people of color.

Judge each pilot on his/her own merits. But in order to truly judge someone, your own knowledge must be very, very good.

FlyingLapinou
13th Dec 2012, 07:41
Hannah, bear in mind that you may not get women who have experienced discrimination, sexism, "banter" - in any area of life, not just in aviation - to rush forward and post about it publicly.

Much of it is still dismissed as just the "lads having a laugh". And women quickly learn they better fit in and laugh at it, too. Or be prepared to be told they have "no sense of humour", or should "give as good as they get" :yuk:

Happily, the "banter" seems to come from a minority, but a very vocal minority.

But I'm not sure I understand how - in 2011 - British Airways can still get away with this type of advert :sad:

British Airways Advert 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozHLoqwp_4)

mary meagher
13th Dec 2012, 09:13
Hannah, you are welcome to scrutinise my previous posts on prune.

I began flying at High Wycombe in a glider, aged 50, already had children, foster children, grandchildren.

Now have more than 3,000 hours, IR, 3 diamonds, seaplane rating, glider instructor, and Tugmaster at my gliding club, and represented the UK in the first Women's European Gliding Championship in the USSR - before that political arrangement went down the proverbial....

I fly for fun, nobody ever saw fit to pay me a salary, alas....but never suffered from disrespect. However I do not think women should waste their childbearing years becoming airline pilots, or in fact taking on any other business career that is less important than having a family! So there.
Old commercial pilots, men that is, thrice divorced, bitter and twisted from being disrespected by the airline beancounters, spending nights away with hostile cabin crew in basic hotel accomodation, and unable to hone their true flying skills, being forbidden to fly without using the autopilot in nearly every modern airliner, where's the fun in that?

Men are useful for heavy lifting and getting dirty and covered in grease. But women live longer.

Avionker
13th Dec 2012, 09:32
And in 2011, I really don't understand how British Airways can still get away with this type of advert

Care to explain why FlyingLapinou?

LightningBoots
13th Dec 2012, 09:44
"the big question is why still so few women in aviation."

Is it the big question? I thought it was fairly obvious - the majority of women simply aren't interested. There's no disputing that on the whole, certain genders tend more toward the skills needed for certain careers, and while I'm sure its a lot less of a 'thing' than it was even 30 years ago when I was a kiddie, there's still an element of social conformity to roles. 8 year old me liked planes, people would suggest I become a flight attendant, not a pilot.

Hit one of those 'is your brain male or female' tests and I bet all the women pilots and engineers are veering into the 'male' category. I did one a while back and found myself 25% into 'male' while the average for women is 50% into 'female'. So I'm rubbish at having an emotional conversation but pretty handy at reverse parking. :)

I would hate to see the aviation world striving for 50:50 representation of the sexes - if you're interested, do it. If you're not, don't bother. There's nothing worse than forced equality. If you need it handed to you on a plate, through special recruitment schemes or targeted advertising, you didn't want it badly enough in the first place.

Likewise women in politics, the fire service, men in midwifery....

Armchairflyer
13th Dec 2012, 09:54
Men are useful for heavy lifting and getting dirty and covered in grease. But women live longer. The whole tedious gender debate in a nutshell. Love it! :ok:

piperarcher
13th Dec 2012, 11:16
I wonder if it a money thing. The cost of most things in Aviation is high and I wonder if women (in general) cant justify the cost to themselves, whereas men (and again this is very general) will try and justify it, forsaking all else.

My wife has a PPL, and in the small number of clubs or airfields I have visited or been a member of, I just havent seen any discrimination against women, nor the need to have to prove themselves any more than men. I would probably say that most people realise there arent many women in aviation, and all are welcomed and want to keep them in the community.

Pace
13th Dec 2012, 11:46
piperarcher

I think its more of a testosterone thing its a very male thing flying an aircraft guns blazing! The Hero which in turn makes the male more attractive to the female.
Same thing with hot cars :E
You get the picture:ok: a leather jacket sporting a pair of raybans the top gun syndrome.
Boys with their Toys thing.
Women tend to fly more for the love of aviation minus the testosterone factor.
I do not think money really comes into it in this day and age.

Pace

localflighteast
13th Dec 2012, 13:23
lets face it , pilots will talk incessantly about flying to ANYONE who'll listen! They don't care if the audience is male or female :p

thing
13th Dec 2012, 13:49
I have to make a concerted effort not to talk about flying to non flying friends, it must bore them as much as cars and dogs bore me.

As to why there aren't more women in flying, what does it matter? There's nothing to stop anyone learning to fly with the requisite brain cells, I can't see it being anything other than they just aren't as interested.

B2N2
13th Dec 2012, 13:51
I would hate to see the aviation world striving for 50:50 representation of the sexes - if you're interested, do it. If you're not, don't bother. There's nothing worse than forced equality.

The days of flying being intense physical work are long gone.
If a woman can be a supervisor or run a business she can run a crew and fly an airplane.
Traditional role models still play a factor as does the male-female brain thing.
However not a good enough reason to not promote it among girls/women as a career choice.

abgd
13th Dec 2012, 15:42
Presumably they get away with the advert because flying really was predominantly a male career in those days, though there were plenty of women pioneers (Amelia Earhardt, Hanna Reitsch etc...) who flew recreationally or to break records, and whose skills were recognised in their own time. It would have been silly if they'd rewritten history to have a woman pilot carrying passengers on the Rapide, though it wouldn't have hurt them to shown a lady flying the more modern airliners.

My impression is that aviation isn't as enlightened as it sometimes seems to think it is. There's certainly a fair amount of sexist banter in club rooms, though probably most female pilots don't get to hear much of it.

Interestingly, I get the impression that there's now quite a high proportion of female commercial pilots coming through training, whereas relatively few women seem to train for a vanilla PPL. It would be interesting to see some numbers.

Rwy in Sight
13th Dec 2012, 15:44
How would they find the time to fly when their is the shopping, washing, ironing, cleaning and cooking ?

Give them a broom

Does it require a rating or any PPL can fly it?

Rwy in Sight

maxred
13th Dec 2012, 17:39
Mary, that frankly was a superb post. In fact, possibly the most honest and correct thing I have read recently on Pprune. Five stars for that one:ok:

We live in a pretty non sensical world nowadays. Everyone skirting about the edges in what is ' the correct thing to say', our, 'ever so PC world'.

I watch women strive for it all, the 'we must have everything brigade'. Dumping the six month old at the nursery, from 7 in the morning, to 5 at night. Children, quite frankly, devoid of love and attention, devoid of any normality in their life's, from a very early age.

Then they sit and wonder why it all goes pear shaped. My view is that if women want a career, go for it. They can be anything they want to be, but do not have kids. It is not just aviation, women today can strive for it, and in a lot of cases, are better than men, in their particular career choice. The issues arrive when that good old animal, maternal instinct kicks in. But I want a child.

We are what we are, a higher level of animal, with all of our age old natural instincts still in the system, in our DNA.

Friend (female), is about to have a baby, then immediately onto A380 course. That is going to work me thinks........Not.

cockney steve
13th Dec 2012, 17:47
How would they find the time to fly when their is the shopping, washing, ironing, cleaning and cooking ?
Titter ye may.....OO-er, Sorry, girls.

Dont, snigger any longer,men, doesn't it strike you as odd, that Bakers Professional Chefs, launderette operators, Professional cleaning and Valeting companies and Window cleaners.................................................

ARE PREDOMINANTLY MALE!!!!!
Truth is, GENERALLY, women are the hard-wired homemaking nurturers, men are the macho hunter-gatherer-protectors.
At school in the early 60's I queried the stereotypical curriculum.....boys had metalwork,woodwork and Technical Drawing, the girls did Domestic Science (cooking) neddlework and shorthand/typing......even though there were males who would gravitate toward the afore -mentioned "male" industries and male Clerks were commonplace, training was NOT an option in school...how enlightened.....NOT.

Come the 80's my sons were given school-lessons in the basics...came the "baking cakes next time , so bring an egg and a packet of cake-mix"..No. 2 wrote out the recipe, knocked up a sponge cake and the following morning shoved it under "teacher's" nose with , "THAT'S HOW YOU MAKE A BLOODY CAKE, BYE BYE"...went off to "play" computers.

IMHO, Gender is totally irelevant...daughter had a colleague who arrived late due to his "hot hatch" car being extremely reluctant to start...she offered to "have a look" and sorted it in 5 minutes,much to that Asian male's astonishment...'cos girls didn't "do" mechanical or electrical in his culture!

That would be about 10 years ago......has it changed?

Used to be an attractive Blonde driving a Skip-lorry in Oldham....the people who rented skips just to ogle her, soon learned to respect her because SHE COULD DO THE JOB COMPETENTLY....that was about 20 years ago.

Just as the male midwife has to prove himself in a mainly Female profession, so with females in a "male" environment

truth of the matter is the exception stands out in ANY field and their peers will judge them on their ability, pure and simple.

AdamFrisch
14th Dec 2012, 01:21
I've had much better luck with female instructors during my training days than anything else. I just tend to get along with them better and learn more. The cockpit is much calmer and less willy-waving. Damn fine pilots all of them, too. And every time I hear a female captain (it's not often) over the tannoy, I smile a little, knowing they've come a slightly longer way than their male counterparts. I appreciate the hard work it took to get there. I tip my hat off to them for breaking stereotypes and moulds.

mary meagher
14th Dec 2012, 07:53
Dear Hannah, the proportion of male to female responses to your original request discloses quite clearly the proportion of male to female pilots in this forum.....we've even smoked out a couple of willywavers to add a bit of spice!

Apologies for being pedantic, but Adam, "breaking" is modern, "braking", according to the OED, is archaic, also molds is American spelling, Brits spell it with a "u".....

And I'm sure Cockney Steve meant to type needlework instead of neddlework...but some people just like to neddle....(meddle?).......

Pace
14th Dec 2012, 09:12
I used to fly a bread and butter run into the London Area in a twin prop.
This routed me down over Brize.
I would fly FL75 till Brize and once over the BZ drop under CAS.

An observation the male ATC guys used to let me stay at FL75 till over BZ and then would advise me to descend to remain clear of CAS.

The female ATC controllers always would advice me to descend 20 miles before BZ seeming concerned that I would run into CAS :{

I think the female tends to be more cautious which is not a bad thing but not all of them :E
We used to have a female pilot who rode to the airfield on a hot Ducatti motorbike dressed in tight matching leather she also was into aerobatics big time.
So while we may generalize people are unique and different.
I know some wimpy male pilots :ok:

Pace

mad_jock
14th Dec 2012, 09:16
What do you mean know, you are when it comes to white runways :p

Flyingmac
14th Dec 2012, 09:27
I've had a female instructor scream loudly during some mild aeros.
Never had a bloke do it.

Spins produced the most decibels.

BabyBear
14th Dec 2012, 09:27
I've had much better luck with female instructors during my training days than anything else.

Really!!:D

BB

mary meagher
14th Dec 2012, 13:43
Richard Westnot, your recommendations of tottie in a cockpit would seem to indicate you are somewhat juvenile and short of actual experience....

cockney steve
14th Dec 2012, 14:07
Well spotted Mary...just me being a thick (fingered) neddy :uhoh:
In my book.
"breaking"= damaging/rendering imperfect

" Braking " + using brakes to slow down/ the act of retardation.

(or should that be "the act of becoming a retard) :}

Endorse/Like what Silvaire posted :ok: first class!

Richard Westnot
14th Dec 2012, 18:32
mary meagher - thank you for your input and I do love reading your posts by the way :ok:

I have purely added a link with females in the cockpit (or tottie as you say)

Do I find it juvenile ? Not really, it is probably what one would expect in a man's world where woman seem to enjoy participating.

Have I given any recommendations ? I don't think that I have, but since you ask, it would be the blonde sitting in the LHS. ;)

Lets not get into the experience bit on a public forum :}

Pace
14th Dec 2012, 19:03
What do you mean know, you are when it comes to white runways

MJ

You maybe a hairy chested all male bravado sporting a kilt and running full pelt through thorn bushes but ???
Anyway its only snow I dont like the cold :E

Pace

ChampChump
14th Dec 2012, 19:07
I've only experienced one mild bit of gender bias, many years ago, at a gliding club where the winch driver decided that females 'could just about hack a circuit'.

Since then, I've had no impression that I've been treated differently, given fewer or more advantages than a chap and as someone said earlier, the only significant fact is that one does tend to be remembered more, as one of the minority. Being a woman who owns an aeroplane that has a tailwheel means I'm apparently slightly more memorable than some other pilots, which is not necessarily a good thing. :hmm:

All of this may be skewed by the fact that one meets the nicest people at airfields and strips. Rephrase that: ...airfields and airstrips.

There are more than the average number of female pilots hereabouts (Kent), but I doubt we'd reach consensus on why there aren't more overall. FWIW I think all those I know are working and childless.

If a non-flyer in conversation about flying (I'm no better than anyone else - obsessed) says to me 'Oh, aren't you lucky!' I agree, because I am, but do stress that for most of us, it's about making choices: how you spend your money and time.

Barcli
14th Dec 2012, 19:11
I married mine 22 years ago ( female instructor) :\

ericferret
17th Dec 2012, 19:03
Better half flew her 150 solo to Morocco (nice article in Pilot a few years ago).
On landing she was confronted by local ground staff demanding to know where the "Pilot" was.

Mind you they have a slightly different mentality down there.

There is an organisation AWE - Aviation and Women in Europe :: The main resource for aviation and women in Europe (http://www.aweu.org) which has profiles on a lot of females working in aviation and other information.

DiamondC
17th Dec 2012, 20:54
There are quite a few industries that are male-dominated, such as investment banking (which I currently work in to pay for my flying).

It's true that there are some people who have issues with women, but often they have issues with anyone who is different from them. So get along with them if necessary for work, avoid them otherwise :)

Overall my experience is that if you do your job well then nobody defines you by your gender (or nationality, age, or any of the categories that can be used). If you go out there thinking you are different and you are going to be have issues as a result, you probably will.

ExSp33db1rd
18th Dec 2012, 08:06
A little over 20 years ago I was flying from Los Angeles to the home base of the South East Asia Airline that I then worked for, and was asked if I could allow a flight deck visit ?

A man and women appeared, him a newly unemployed pilot following the demise of Eastern in the USA, going for an interview for an advertised job vacancy. I asked her if she was looking forward to her holiday with her companion ? No holiday she said, I'm going to be your airlines first woman pilot. She was currently a stewardess but had commercial pilot experience as well, including time on Hercules for Air America - as was.

I suggested that our first woman pilot would eventually be one of the country's Air Force pilots - of which there were currently none - and also directly related to the then President ( corruption in South East Asia ? wash your mouth out ) but wished her luck and invited them to join my wife and I for dinner before they returned to the USA.

I also asked if the airline realised that she was female, her having a masculine sounding name ( that I now forget ).

Following evening they appeared at our house. The man had been offered a job on the spot, but the women denied employment on the grounds of gender. She said that she could sue them back in the States, where the airline had advertised as an Equal Opportunity Employer, but, she said, I'd fail my first simulator check, wouldn't I ?

Sadly she had it correctly sussed out. Later the airline Personnel Mgr. admitted to me that they hadn't realised that she was female, due to her name, otherwise she wouldn't have even been granted an interview.

Maybe things have changed there now ? ( but I doubt it )

I've absolutely no difficulty with women being pilots, or equal opportunity with regard to work and pay, and since retiring I've had a few women as students, and I truly wouldn't be able to differentiate between the sexes with regard to ability, but men need time with only men, just as women need time as all girls together, and I found the flight deck just such an occasion, where we could engage in like chat about cars, or central heating, or even discuss the girls down the back ! ( the 3 S'ss - Sex, Salary and Sentral Heating as it was known in my days ) and I think that I would have find myself somewhat inhibited on those long, boring night flights over the Atlantic, and denied the easy bonhomie of being lads together without having to consider the sensibilities of a female in close proximity. ( and yes I know that there are some women who can be as down and dirty as the grossest Locker Room group - but that's not the point )

Don't know, never had the pleasure.

Hannah222
18th Dec 2012, 12:07
Thanks for the replys, I'm glad people have opinions on it! Mary, and others who agree, is it really not possible to have children and fly? Short haul flights, living close to the airfield, dad who has a steady job (not shifts) etc. I'm sure it could work and really, whats so bad with daycare centres and childminders- my parents have worked full time since I was born.
As for the person who wanted numbers, about 6% of commercial pilots are women today and for this to rise by 1 percent means only 420 women need a license. But with 70 % of women dropping out 1,400 women must start training. This was 2 years ago and still no change.
The fact women just aren't interested is a good point and maybe its true? But is that because little girls are always pink, with dolls and 'pushed' towards 'girl' jobs so a pilot was never an option? I remember being about 10 on a plane and dad asked if I would be an air hostess and I said no, it's just like being a waitress! He never asked if I would like to be a pilot.

mad_jock
18th Dec 2012, 12:17
Hannah some times its actually women in the industry which are the problem.

Occassionally in one job I had we had work experence kids coming into the office about 16-17.

I came back in from the morning shift to find one poor girl in ops reading a cabin crew manual waiting for the chief Hostie to pitch up. I finished up my paper work and started chating to her. Turned out that the woman who was sorting them out in ops had pushed her into the office with ops and the boy that she was with got sent out to the hanger.

After a couple of questions I found out that she wanted to be a pilot. So gave her a tour of the hanger and aircraft then took her as a second pair of eyes for a taxi for an engine run for the engineers in the FO's seat and although paper work she was the scribe for the data sheet for the engine runs.

Seemed to enjoy herself and a week later she turned up with her dad for a trial flight at the local school which I did. Don't know if she took it all the way to commercial.

ChampChump
18th Dec 2012, 12:50
With regard to the pink element of childhood, I do find myself groaning as Lego produces pastel colours and beauty salons; this has to be the result of extensive and expensive market research. The little princess 'culture' doesn't seem to be changing at all.

I was a wimpy girl, but enjoyed playing with my brother's Meccano when he'd let me. Had we been given woodwork and metalwork lessons at school, I'd have been a great deal better at many things now, I'm sure. There may be a better balance at school now, but the commercial influences outside school are greater too.

mary meagher
18th Dec 2012, 21:08
Hello again, Hannah, nice to have your feedback. You mention that both your parents worked fulltime since the day you were born, and that you see no problem with daycare centres and childminders. A mother and father would have to have very good jobs indeed to manage to pay for professional child care for more than one kid, for a start.

I had my four children early while still in my 20's....in those days we could manage on one salary. And when first husband traded me in for a younger model, I had as well some foster children....so I was in the childcare industry as a professional parent! and did if I do say so a better job looking after them than their natural mother.

Too many women now find themselves stuck on the professional ladder - any profession, either postponing a family until pregnancy can be difficult to achieve without IVF, or limiting themselves to one child only, which is then farmed out, not really ideal. So after the kids were all in school, off I went down the M40 to the gliding club; because I could get there midweek, instructors and gliders were more freely available in schooltime! Solo in 3 months, cross country the following summer, and after that, the PPL, with a real advantage as less flying time was required with a gliding Silver C.

If you want to fly, you could do worse than a day course at my club, Shenington, which would be a good start; we have a couple of girls your age, who will be high flyers in every sense. And for your research, our tugmaster is a respected power instructor; this fits nicely round her existing family life. Several other women are gliding instructors.

But in my post that caused favourable comment, I pointed out the shortcomings of being an airline pilot. That is a job that is not easy to line up with being a good mother.

And the pilot's uniforms, in United Airlines at any rate, look truly dreadful on the women.

FlyingLapinou
19th Dec 2012, 07:51
I pointed out the shortcomings of being an airline pilot. That is a job that is not easy to line up with being a good mother.

Equally, I wonder how easy it is to line up with being a good father?

Hannah, you are young, the world is truly your oyster. Work hard, very hard, and make your own opportunities. Seek advice, but make your own decisions. Don't be swayed by other people's expectations. Don't be afraid to go after what you want. Good luck to you :ok:

ExSp33db1rd
19th Dec 2012, 08:09
Equally, I wonder how easy it is to line up with being a good father?

Precisely. One always misses the school fete, where son wins Gold in the Egg and Spoon race, and the birthdays, and doesn't know if he will be able to play Father Christmas ( Oops ! you do believe in Father Christmas, don't you ?) until Boxing Day - when you know now that you did, the "standby" phone didn't ring at the wrong time.

Still, my two sons are successfully earning far more than I did at their age - and I don't mean just because of inflation, they have better paid jobs, and job security, than an Airline Captain - so I must have done something right.

Also - I always thought that the job was a marriage saver, one got away from each other for short spells, which can be good, if not necessary (!) and homecoming was often like a new Honeymoon. Sadly - the other side of the coin is "Whilst The Cats' Away, The Mice Do Play" - but don't start me on that.

vee-tail-1
19th Dec 2012, 11:18
I flew with the first women pilots in BA. They overcame a lot of BS to get there and were all fully competent pilots and very strong characters. I remember how awful the male BA uniform looked on them, and how they soon had it redesigned to suit the female form.
Those first female pilots were just as passionate about aviation as most guys. I remember having breakfast in NY with a female F/O talking only about aviation. Knowing that she was genuinely interested in the subject, and not just pretending to be was a revelation to me.
However airline flying makes demands on pilots that some later women pilots seem unable or unwilling to meet.
Perhaps some will remember the ex glider pilot who was accepted as a BA cadet. She qualified as F/O and started line flying, then soon met and married a Capt, and became pregnant. She took pregnancy leave on full pay for nearly a year ... then decided to get back to flying again via a retraining course ... shortly after returning to line flying she became pregnant again ... and took yet another long pregnancy leave. BA wanted to get rid of her, but BALPA (my union at the time) defended her and won. I had conversations with some of the original female pilots over this issue. All were all of the opinion that this young woman had nearly destroyed all the gender equality that they had painfully achieved.

whosyerdaddy
19th Dec 2012, 13:02
Male. I know far fewer female pilots than male but of the female ones I can think of very few who aren't very very good.
But I know scores of male pilots whose arrogance, condescension and hubris constantly get them into scrapes.
It's numbers, of course so I can't make a meaningful comparison but perhaps a percentage comparison from accident stats based upon gender might prove revealing.
Personally, I would like to see more women in aviation. It will come but it's nowhere near close yet. I don't think it will be 50-50 unfortunately as the commercial realities of childbearing captains probably will not be ignored by those who employ them.

Lightning Mate
19th Dec 2012, 13:30
When I was a Jaguar QFI we used to give rides to air traffic controllers.

I flew one of them (female) twelve times. After a few sorties I discovered she could handle the jet very well and the R/T at the same time.

I have seen (heard) her handle over a dozen fast jets at the same time as a radar controller.

Mind you, in those days and probably now as well, only the best ones went to fast jet stations.

I married her.

ExSp33db1rd
20th Dec 2012, 08:27
..........her handle over a dozen fast jets........I married her.

Seems she could handle fast jet pilots, as well !!

Charles E Taylor
20th Dec 2012, 15:24
You might find this interesting!

RAeS gives evidence to Women in the Workplace inquiry | Aerospace | The Royal Aeronautical Society (http://media.aerosociety.com/aerospace-insight/2012/11/30/raes-gives-evidence-to-women-in-the-workplace/7573/?utm_source=The+Royal+Aeronautical+Society+e-communications&utm_campaign=6a946f4470-raes_nl_dec12&utm_medium=email)

Charlie

gmr
3rd Jun 2013, 16:19
I have a CPL instructor examiner ratings. Have worked for a flighing school for 13 years. As head of training covering for our part time head of training for 6years. When the head of training decided to retire I was not told the job was available nor was I asked if I would like to apply. I found out after some one had been chosen! Needless to say they chose another part time person a male. I am more qualified in flying hours students safely trained, and he is not an examiner.
What more can I say.
I resigned, so now looking for another job.

Echo Romeo
3rd Jun 2013, 19:37
Sorry, but what is a flighing school ?

dieseldo
4th Jun 2013, 20:57
For those who's idea of a job is not sitting in a cockpit, a number of aircraft operators including CHC and Bristow are looking for apprentice aircraft engineers.
Target salary today for a licensed engineer airline or offshore helicopters would be £50/60000k in the UK. £80000 tax free somewhere warmer but not quite so nice !!!!!

India Four Two
5th Jun 2013, 05:16
gmr,

Welcome to PPRuNe. Sorry to hear about your resignation. Good luck with looking for a new position.

I haven't lived in the UK for many years and I thought times had changed. Obviously not!

CISTRS
5th Jun 2013, 07:48
I have met many excellent female soaring pilots.
I have never seen a female winch driver.

dreamer_uk
9th Jun 2013, 18:58
Hi Hannah. I am a female ppl student. I've always worked in a male dominated industry (I am one of the only women doing what I am doing) and hobbies in make dominated areas (I race cars). I started working after uni and travelling at 25 which was about 12 years ago, just to give you some context.

Flying is new to me but I certainly have not experienced any adverse (or any really) reaction because I am a woman.

I have lots of thoughts about why women are under represented in certain areas and happy to share via email if you are interested! Bizarrely I have just been interviewed as a female role model in my industry so I've given it some thought recently!

Ultimately I think it's a complex issue and some people have very strong views (in both directions!!)

LowNSlow
11th Jun 2013, 12:31
Hannah222, worthy of some research are both Dan-Air and British Air Ferries. Dan-Air as they were one of the first UK airlines to employ female pilots with 5(out of 550) in 1978. They also had the first female jet airliner captain calleds Yvonne Sintes who flew BAC111 and Comets until her retirement in 1980.

British Air Ferries had the first all female crew which was captained by Caroline Frost in 1977.

My Dad was a flight engineer on Halifaxes in WW2 and one of his favourite stories was about a delivery of a brand new Halifax III which was crewed by a diminuative blonde lady ATA pilot and a one armed male flight engineer. As a previous poster commented, a lot of the people who saw her climbing out of the aircraft asked where the pilot was!

Tay Cough
11th Jun 2013, 12:57
If you're ever in the Isle of Wight near Sandown, see if you can find Mary Ellis. She's been known to sit in a little hut near the runway selling pleasure flights. She's done a bit of flying herself.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmh_QKGosQ