PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

stuart_dobson
9th Dec 2012, 14:40
Hi everyone,
I'm Stuart, I'm 21 and I live in England.
I've been interested in flying helicopters for personal pleasure ever since I was a little boy, and I was hoping someone could answer a few basic questions.

I'm sorry if these have been asked before, and some of them may seem really stupid. I went through the sticky and tried searching for the answers but most of the info I found was relating to commercial pilots, I will be flying purely for my own pleasure, not for a career.

1. Cost
What, roughly, does it cost to learn to fly a helicopter in the UK for private use?
I've been looking at flight schools and stuff and it seems to cost an average of £260 (+VAT) per lesson. I've read that the minimum hours is 45, which brings the total to around £12,000 (+VAT). Am I right in assuming there an generally more costs on top of that for exams etc? Or is it included? Could some one give me a good idea of average total costs.

2. Time limit?
Is there a certain time frame you need to complete the lessons in? E.g. A year. I will probably have to spread it out over a long period rather than do it all in one go. Would that be a problem?

3. After getting a license ..
Assuming that, until I can afford my own helicopter, I will be hiring. What costs and requirements are there (aside from hire costs)? For example, are there some kind of membership fees? Insurance costs? Do I have to do anything to renew my lisence etc?

4. Where can I fly?
I live in the countryside and would have no trouble getting a local farmer to allow me to land in one of their fields. With that in mind, could I simply hire a helicopter from my local flight school, flight it straight here, pick up a friend and go sight seeing? Or are there specific routes and altitudes that I would have to stick to?

Again sorry for the newbie questions, I will continue to search for the answers but if anyone could help on here I would really appreciate it.

Stuart

Jet Ranger
9th Dec 2012, 19:49
http://http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/253856-so-you-want-helicopter-pilot.html

:E