PDA

View Full Version : NVG experience in helicopters

peeush
9th Dec 2012, 12:41
Based on the experience on NVG assisted operations on utility helicopter operations, what may be considered as a guideline as 'adequate training' on NVG assisted flights, considering only single helicopter operations for a rookie to transform into a combat aviator. I understand that few reputed schools across the globe declare qualified first pilots on helicopters for NVG operations with as little as 15 hours of NVG assisted flying.

Secondly, does a change of cockpit really matter in regards to NVG assisted flights. Personally. I find five to six hours adequate in case of an aviator being introduced to be a new cockpit with sufficient background on NVG assisted flights on other helicopters.

Comments please..and thanks for your time anyway.

Evalu8ter
9th Dec 2012, 13:52
Peeush,
An interesting question - but the answer is very diificult.

Adequate for what? Safely flying around as a singleton in a benign area? pairs? multi ship assaults? USLs? Low light levels? Dust/snow/sand? high threat? What transit height - 500ft, 250ft, 150ft or lower? Gen of NVGs? FLIR? DAFCS? These all make such a massive difference.

I'm inclined to trust the judgement of the instructor and syllabus which will weigh all of the above (and more) before passing judgement.

charliegolf
9th Dec 2012, 18:12
Shy Torque will be along to check my memory, but I was trained on NVG very soon after they superceded the older PNG goggles. I (crewman) had 3 or 4 trips before regarded as 'trained'; and I am sure no pilot had much more than that.

CG

PS, 80s in Germany. Memory jogged- the 33 Sqn pilots who did NI may well have had a more rigorous and lengthy training.

ShyTorque
9th Dec 2012, 18:18
CG, Don't forget that for NVG work we flew two pilots up front.

charliegolf
9th Dec 2012, 18:21
Shy, yes of course- was I close with the work up though?

CG

ShyTorque
9th Dec 2012, 21:00
I can't be certain (it was 30 years ago) but I think you are probably about right.

I thought that being from Wales you could see in the dark anyway. It's nearly always dark there, isn't it? ;)

charliegolf
9th Dec 2012, 21:42
Sheep can't see very well at night!:E

I live in the, "Izzat the sun or the moon up there? Dunno, I'm from Port Talbot", town.

So that nasty jibe really hurt. If I thought for a mo you had any dosh I would sue for racially aggravated heartburn. Or similar.

CG

walter kennedy
10th Dec 2012, 01:19
I recommend downloading a copy of
REDACTED REPORT
OF THE COURT OF INQUIRY INVESTIGATING
THE ACCIDENT INVOLVING IROQUOIS NZ3806
NEAR PUKERUA BAY ON 25 APRIL 2010

This shows the difference in NVG training in NZ compared with RAF - and the limitations of NVGs.