PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Dollars vs. Barbadian dollars

UniFoxOs
9th Dec 2012, 12:16
Probably an easy question for somebody here to answer.

We have only been to Barbados for the odd day at a time (joining or leaving cruise ship) and have therefore not bothered with BBDs but used USDs.

In a few weeks we will be trying a "Stay-Cruise" with a week on ship and a week on shore. We will be taking USD for the various cruise destinations, but for the week on Barbados I am assuming we will be better to have BBD available, especially for small purchases in non-tourist areas.

Can anyone confirm my assumption - i.e that the small shopkeeper will be reluctant/unable to take USD and give BBD in change (or will rip us off on the exchange rate)? Or does everybody take the USD with no problem?

Any other advice/info gratefully received.

Cheers
UFO

cavortingcheetah
9th Dec 2012, 13:40
Last I remember we just used US $ and received change in both currencies. It's 2BB$ for one US$ and we never, on many visits, had a problem with the locals. The problems lie with money changers and touts on the beaches, many of whom are from Jamaica and have no clue as to the identity of Rasta.
There are dives full of rum sozzled ne'er do wells all over the place with the associated problems if a woman walks around with her body parts easily accessible to ocular amazement.
The east coast used to be worth a slow drive and that's exactly what you will get on the western highway. The interior is interesting if you like plantation style history. Bus transport was excellent, the people are great and the rum is very cheap in the local chops. It's quite an idea to find an articulate taxi driver and negotiate a price with him for a half day tour of the island. I fear I've lost the card of the one I had a time or two. Visit Bridgetown if you must. It's full of tourist chops. But I don't shop, women like to though. Cobblers Cove used to be the best hotel by far in the whole country, probably still is, Trip Adviser is perhaps worth a quick scan for an update. Sandy Lane used to be the most expensive and a bijoux tart place. Michael Winner contracted his probably terminal disease while staying there and the management thinks it owns the beach, which they do not. Restaurants go up and down depending to a large extent on the inanity of the idiots with too much money who live on the west coast and who disgorge from cruise ships. That can't be you of course because you're seeking advice through the fine pages of wrinkled plum.
Have a wonderful time there. It's a wholly different country viewed well inland from a cruise ship pier.

TCAS FAN
9th Dec 2012, 14:02
Have been going to Barbados for the past 15 years and have never (no matter what amount) met anyone/shop/taxi driver who has refused US$. A large proportion of the local population prefer US$ as the proximity of the US results in many visiting from everything from education to shopping.

Some higher end shops may only give you BDS 1.98 to the dollar, which is about the bank rate.

You will need some local small change for the buses BDS 2.00 for a single trip, a cheap, enjoyable (particularly the yellow "reggae" ones) and efficeint way of getting around.

One word of caution, I do know a number of cruise passengers who have bee ripped off with change. They paid in US$ and were given parity with BDS$. Isolated cases that after a word with the Barbados Tourist Authority has been clamped down on hard.

We go back every year to a hotel who tells us that we are not guests, we are family.

Enjoy the island and its people, of all the Caribbean its probably the safest. If you want to know anything specific, please feel free to PM me.

UniFoxOs
15th Dec 2012, 15:43
Thanks, guys, that simplifies it for me, I'll take USD plus the BBD "shrapnel" left over from last time.

CC - we did get a taxi tour last time we were there for a large part of a day. Went down to Bridgetown looking for a contact for a fishing trip on a future visit. Met a very nice boat owner there, who summoned up a taxi and negotiated us a good price. Driver was very knowledgeable and took us to see the favourite spots plus a few we already wanted to see - where Cliff lives - SWMBO is a fan, and Brighton Beach (an errand for the nephew and niece). Lovely day out.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Concorde? Is it worth a visit?
Never seen one close up except at a runway holding point when one was allowed to taxi past us and get off as (long queue for take-off) he was running out of fuel. Looked a bit of a toy alongside our 747.

Cheers
UFO