PDA

View Full Version : Any good helicopter books on Kindle?

The elephant
9th Dec 2012, 08:00
I have been loooking for books to read on my Kindle whilst on delays / stopovers, I have found one "The Cruel Companion" does anyone else know of any helicopter / aviation stories to add to my growing collection?
THanks.

WASALOADIE
9th Dec 2012, 08:05
"Immediate response" by Mark Hammond

"Sweating the Metal" by Frenchie Duncan

I believe "Chickenhawk" is available

The elephant
9th Dec 2012, 08:11
Many thanks, I will look at your first one, I have Chickenhawk in paperback from years ago. I enjoyed The Cruel Companion by Graham McLean - it kept the suspense going to the end and reminded me of some of my worst simulator trips!!

cpt
9th Dec 2012, 10:31
On Kindle, you also can get "Apache" from Ed Macy

The elephant
9th Dec 2012, 10:50
Many thanks, another for the list, if anyone is interested inThe Cruel Companion, I think there is a link to it from www.grahammclean.co.uk (http://www.grahammclean.co.uk)

griffothefog
9th Dec 2012, 11:46
Don't forget "low level hell" Hugh mills, a real adrenal gland squeezer 😱

The elephant
9th Dec 2012, 13:22
Another good one to try by the sounds of it. Thanks very much - keep 'em coming!

TukTuk BoomBoom
9th Dec 2012, 16:40
"MASH Angels" by Richard C Kirkland.
Just finished reading it.
It's a great story about flying R-5 and S-55 rescue helicopters during the Korean War.

" In the company of heroes" by Michael Durant. The pilot at the epicentre of Blackhawk Down writes a great book about his time in the 160th.

Also Shawn Coyles " Little Book of Autorotation" is good too but a bit dry for bed time reading!

BQCH53
9th Dec 2012, 16:57
Try also "Hellfire" from Ed Macy.

"Apache" and "Hellfire" are playing at roughly the same time as "Immediate Response" and "Sweating the metal". Knowing Helicopter flying in Afghanistan out of my own experience I can say that these books give a good internal view of military flying.
There is also "Roberts ridge" from Malcolm MacPherson. It deals more about a SOF mission, but the US military lost 3 Chinooks in this mission (which is described in good details within the book).

As a military pilot I wonder if there is a book out there with a civil rotory wing content.

Bravo73
9th Dec 2012, 17:06
As a military pilot I wonder if there is a book out there with a cicil rotory wing content.

You can do worse than Alan Bristow's autobiography: Pen and Sword Books: Alan Bristow: Helicopter Pioneer by Alan Bristow, Patrick Malone (http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Alan-Bristow-Helicopter-Pioneer/p/2085/)

No idea if it's available on Kindle though.

Droopy
9th Dec 2012, 17:23
Yes it is, just search on the ISBN in your friendly e-reader supplier:

The elephant
9th Dec 2012, 19:09
Many thanks to all who have come up with options. THey all look pretty compelling. THe one which catches my eye is about the S55. Yes, I am old enough to have flown it or at least the Whirlwind Mk 7 with the Leonides engine. Splendid machine did everything at about 80kts as I recall and in auto it was magnificent.

Well I have just finished "The Cruel Companion", a thoroughly entertaining story, I recognised a lot of my North Sea flying in the situations.Well done to Graham McLean. Must fill the kindle with more books.:)

Hompy
9th Dec 2012, 19:23
What was it again, the book you've just read? The Crooked captain, by Alistair McTavish?

anwy2MPT5RE

Max Contingency
9th Dec 2012, 22:20
So Elephant. You started this thread "Called any good helicopter books on Kindle?" and have made 4 posts in which you recommend a particular helicopter related book, only available on the Kindle. This book was written by an ex RN pilot who went on to fly in the North Sea. You have told us that you flew the Whirlwind 7 and we can see that your location is listed as Aberdeenshire. I'm sure your book is very good but please........ don't ever try and write any detective novels will you.....:p

Old Age Pilot
9th Dec 2012, 22:26
So Elephant. You started this thread "Called any good helicopter books on Kindle?" and have made a total of 7 posts in which you recommend a particular helicopter related book, only available on the Kindle, in 4 of those posts. This book was written by an ex RN pilot who went on to fly in the North Sea. You have told us that you flew the Whirlwind 7 and we can see that your location is listed as Aberdeenshire. I'm sure your book is very good but please........ don't ever try and write any detective novels will you.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Hmmm... this is very odd!

rjtjrt
9th Dec 2012, 22:43
"Also Shawn Coyles " Little Book of Autorotation" is good too but a bit dry for bed time reading!"

Is Shawn Coyle's book or electronic book available via any other source than Amazon?

I'm not a fan of Amazon and actively try to avoid using them for anything.

John

chopper2004
9th Dec 2012, 22:52
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Presidents-Helicopter-Reflections-ebook/dp/B004JHYSKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1355096798&sr=1-1

Got that on my ipad and also below

Gunship Ace: The Wars of Neall Ellis, Gunship Pilot and Mercenary: The Wars of Neall Ellis, Helicopter Pilot and Mercenary eBook: Al J. Venter: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

and from a well known ex Bristows and Corporate Helicopters chief pilot

Snake Pilot: Flying the Cobra Attack Helicopter in Vietnam eBook: Randy R. Zahn: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Helicopter Rescue eBook: Ken Wishaw, Julia Stiles: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

Cheers

Uncapeez
10th Dec 2012, 17:33
:ok: Did "Uniform Kilo" make it to kindle.?. Love the adventure of it all :ok: