PDA

View Full Version : B777 wheel change kit

winglit
8th Dec 2012, 01:40
If one was considering tooling up for a B777 line station, could anyone confirm what is required to do a centre axle wheel change?

Do you need two jacks? If so what would be the weight rating of each jack?

Would anyone also happen to have the part numbers of the wheel wrenches to hand?

Cheers.

cedgz
8th Dec 2012, 13:22
2 jacks, for the weight rating and tool pn's have a look on the amm

winglit
8th Dec 2012, 18:19
Looking in the AMM? What a novel idea!

If I had access to the AMM why would I post this question?

I have had an inquiry from a potential customer and before I came back with a reply, I wanted to do a cost analysis on the tooling first. I thought that I might get a quick reply from someone who works on B777. Alas not.

grounded27
8th Dec 2012, 20:24
I suggest you search elsewhere, I could look it up for you right here at my computer. Being a a sarcastic arse... Well you can figure it out on your own genius.

Terry McCassey
8th Dec 2012, 23:06
winglit - If you do not have access to approved aircraft manuals, I wonder if you really ought to be in a position to be supplying tooling in the first place. At our station we have access to 85 tonne rhino jacks which are more than capable of jacking up to the B77W. Please tread carefully . . . . Terry

winglit
9th Dec 2012, 00:33
So what do you do?

You are running an overseas line station looking after A330, A320, B767 and B757 and a new customer approaches you and asks if you can handle a B777 and they would contribute towards some type training.

The first thing you look at is COST. I don't have a jack that can lift over 65 tonnes so I would have to be able to comply with EASA regs and provide a higher capacity jack. How does US$25,000 grab you? EACH!

We have now ascertained that we need TWO jacks for changing a wheel on the centre axle. Would I be able to get away with ONE 90 tonne jack and my existing 65 tonne? Or do I need TWO 90 tonne jacks?

A fifty grand investment for something that would probably never be used!

And at this stage I do not have access to any B777 manuals because I don't have the contract.

Maybe I was being sarcastic, but seriously, if I had the manual, I wouldn't be asking here would I?

Gulfstreamaviator
9th Dec 2012, 02:41
I read the engineers forums to learn about stuff I have no knowledge about, as a Pilot.

Now I realise that sarcasm is not confined to my corner of the world.

glf

Terry McCassey
9th Dec 2012, 09:00
winglit - from what I read I note you are running a line station, that presupposes there is a base station somewhere. Why not let them take the chances on costing and procuring ground equipment ? It may be that they might even have access to some approved maintenance publications on which to make a qualified assesment. Cost is not necessarily the first consideration here, safety might be. AMM 07-11-03 clearly states not to change the centre wheels without the use of two jacks, fore and aft of the beam. The correct weight rating will be stated in the ground equipment manual, also likely to be held by your base station. Find the manual, read, inwardly digest then, and only then, are you qualified to make the call. Don't take the risk, keep safe. You can be as sarcastic as you like, I have the option of hitting the delete button if need be . . . . . Terry

cockney steve
9th Dec 2012, 10:17
Now Now, Girls, handbags down!

Really!....Unless it's "security" protocol to keep this information restricted, the first reply could have given the info. Then it degenerates into a handbagging.

I'm with Gulfstream on this, ( but I'm not even an Aviator) All we've learnt is that a straightforward jack is suddenly 25K as opposed to under 500 if it's for Commercial Vehicle use.....and yes, they DO have to be certified and have an annual engineering inspection......unlike the Aircraft scenario, the wheels on a HGV are usually tucked in a tight spot and a jack-failure could be a lot more of a headache than an exposed bogie dropping onto it's remaining axles!

Terry...It's called "using your initiative":p maybe he's after promotion and getting this enquiry progressed beyond the "casual" stage is going to be a big step forward in this recessionary age.

On The Other Hand, "Winglit " may be a thick grease monkey who thought he could barge into a "professional Engineers" Forum and be taken seriously :\

No offence taken or meant in any of the forgoing.

WenWe
9th Dec 2012, 11:33
Making friends as usual eh Winglit?

Rumour has it that you've upset the Panamanians a bit too?

winglit
9th Dec 2012, 12:22
Looks that way doesn't it WenWe?!

Rumour has it right! You obviously know me, but afraid have no clue who you are!

Back in the day, this used to be a forum for professionals, but now it seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to wade in and give their tuppence worth and offer advice that was not asked for.

Thanks to cedgz who replied via PM even after I replied with my sarcastic comment. He obviously is one of the professionals here.

Cockney Steve, yes you're right, I'm a thick grease monkey with my own company, trying to scratch a living in Paradise!