PDA

View Full Version : Why does the IVSI show an initial climb when turning?

akafrank07
7th Dec 2012, 15:25
"The disadvantage of an IVSI is that the dashpots, which sense the vertical acceleration of the aircraft, are also affected by the acceleration in a turn. Therefore, the IVSI has an error that it initially shows as a rate of climb when applying large angles of bank, i.e., over 40 degrees of bank. However, if the turn is maintained, IVSI will stabilize to zero but then indicates a rate of descent as the aircraft rolls out of the turn."

Why are these affected by acceleration in a straight and level turn and not affected by normal acceleration? and why is it that it happens over 40 degrees of bank?

Thnaks

packo1848
7th Dec 2012, 18:02
The accelerometers in the IVSI sense acceleration in the aircraft vertical only. As you enter a turn you have to increase lift to account for the portion of lift now acting towards the centre of the turn; an acceleration in the vertical plane.

By 'normal' acceleration, I assume you mean an increase in speed? Which is an acceleration along the longitudinal axis, the accelerometers in the IVSI aren't aligned to sense on this axis, so no climb/descent is displayed.

As for why only above 40 degrees of bank, I can only guess that maybe the instrument is calibrated for the smaller bank angles used in normal flight.

Lightning Mate
7th Dec 2012, 18:28
Oh fcuk, here we go again with more moronick ill-informed ****!!!!

packo1848
7th Dec 2012, 18:38
How moronic and ill-informed?

Apologies if I got that wrong, I am merely passing on what I've been taught, in an attempt to help. I'm by no means a subject matter expert and would never pretend to be. Would you care to give the correct explanation so i can no longer be a 'moron' or 'ill-informed'?

Thanks.

Lord Spandex Masher
7th Dec 2012, 19:10
I think he might when he sobers up ;)

packo1848
7th Dec 2012, 19:19
Suspected maybe as much with similar posts on other threads. :}

Nearly There
7th Dec 2012, 20:12
Jesus wept, a guy asks a question which in real life people would answer and if two or more answers arise a discussion starts......why is pprune so different? just full of keyoard warriors, if you've nothing decent to say why click reply lightning mate?

Hobo
7th Dec 2012, 21:48
akafrank07 is 22 and trying to find out something he doesn't know. He will make a good pilot if he carries on with this attitude. Well done mate, and well said packo.

I suggest LM's very rude post is against Pprune rules.

Halfwayback
7th Dec 2012, 21:55
He has a week to think about it!:rolleyes:
HWB

akafrank07
7th Dec 2012, 23:02
Thanks for the reply packo thats clarified it for me :ok:

RTN11
8th Dec 2012, 11:09
The main question arising from this would be who is doing turns greater than 40 degrees AOB on instruments? Every company policy would be 30 max.