PDA

View Full Version : Time in Logbook

JammedStab
7th Dec 2012, 14:17
Kind of new to this stuff so I thought I would ask on this forum....

When you fly a longhaul flight which is say 10 hours and you spend a certain amount of hours in the crew rest while others are flying......how much of the time do you enter into your personal logbook?

groundtoflightdeck
7th Dec 2012, 16:34
Its your personal book... log whatever tickles your fancy. You may need to extract different amounts for licensing or applications. You can log dead heading if you want but no one will give you credit. I would log it and make a note that you were dozing for dollars amd then when a company asks you can just credit 50% or whatever. Cheers

Airmann
7th Dec 2012, 17:15
uuhhh....no not really, not in this case. There are some restrictions, you can't just do what you like, if that we're the case then next time I'm in the right seat of the 320 I'd prefer to log it as PIC time on a 380, because that tickles my fancy.

There are specific rules regarding in-flight relief, whether relieving or being relieved. Now since I fly the 320 I will not give you the definite answer, but from some circulars at the company what I've seen is that the designated PIC of the flight can log the entire flight as PIC including all time spent at rest. All other pilots on board are only to log time spent at the flight controls. Hope that helps.

Easy Ryder
7th Dec 2012, 17:58
At EK, if your the 'operating crew' you log the entire journey (time in seat and in bunk).

If your 'augmenting' crew you only log the time in the hot seat.

groundtoflightdeck
7th Dec 2012, 18:17
Sort of missed the point. You can log it as pic... its just that no one will recognize it because you aren't qualified. You can put whatever you want into a logbook BUT wheb it comes to a regulator or airline they will have their rules to apply. The dhing line us more of an extreme as is the pic idea. But you can log all the dozer time you want abd when you apply to Ek or whoever they will tell you the rules of what they will count. Your personal logbook is abstract but when you have to interact with external parties the rules change. Just some outside the box thinking for the morning.

Airmann
8th Dec 2012, 02:25
fair enough. But at the end of the day you're going to need to get your logbook endorsed, at which point your numbers need to be in line with those of the company/regulating authority (assuming they keep their own log, and if the original poster is flying long haul I'm sure they do) other wise they're just going to ask you to correct it, so you might as well follow their regs from the get go rather than having to sprawl over months and years of data to meet their requirements.

donpizmeov
8th Dec 2012, 11:25
Groundy,

Great, now the min timers are logging deadheading time, and probably time while flying away on holidays (its just like deadheading right?). Might as well as log the trip to and from DXB for the interview as well.
Just imagine all the type ratings you can give yourself Groundy? Up to the regulators to work out if they are good or not right?

I suggest you give up flying and try management.

the Don

8sugarsugar
8th Dec 2012, 13:35
who cares anyway? Isn't EK the place we all have been striving to hang our hat, forever?

no need to fill out those bloody logbooks anymore. lol

CDRW
8th Dec 2012, 16:11
On the same theme but just a smidge different -
Do we have to keep a personal log book?
I know a record has to be kept - major airlines ( and maybe smaller ones) keep accurate hours of flying - well the one I work for does - with records of day of flight, sector and sector timings.

I personally keep a track of my hours and sectors, but that is for purposes of not breaking any limitations.

Airmann
8th Dec 2012, 17:30
JAR–FCL 1.080 Recording of flight time
(See IEM FCL 1.080)
(a) Details of all flights flown as a pilot shall
be kept in a reliable record in a logbook format
acceptable to the Authority (see IEM FCL 1.080).
Details of flights flown under JAR–OPS 1, may
be recorded in an acceptable computerised
format maintained by the operator. In this case
an operator shall make the records of all flights
operated by the pilot, including differences and
familiarisation training, available on request to
the flight crew member concerned.