PDA

View Full Version : LGW/Clearence & QNH

Slick
14th Apr 2002, 16:03
About 4-5 years ago LGW NOTAM read that you were required to read back QNH after A/C type and information recieved.

e.g 777 stand 144 Papa QNH 1010.

This is no longer NOTAM'ed however I note it still appears to be the norm at LGW. I am not argueing the merits for or against, I just wondered if anyone could tell me if this was still a requirement, and if so where does it state this requirement.

If you have the current information would it not be fair to say that you have the current QNH as well?

Best Rgds

brimstone
14th Apr 2002, 16:45
Slick - CAP 413 the RTF Manual says that where a pilot is required to acknowledge receipt of a departure ATIS broadcast then a readback of the QNH should be included.

Our Manual of Air Traffic Services states that controllers must obtain a readback of all relevant pressure settings contained in a departure ATIS broadcast unless the setting will also be passed with start-up or taxi clearance.

:) :)

nodelay
14th Apr 2002, 17:01
Manual of Air Traffic Services - part one (The Bible)
Ch 1-57.7.
Procedures at Aerodromes - Aircraft taking off.

Prior to take off a/c are to be given aerodrome QNH.

Ch 2-6.10
Taxying aircraft

When the pilot of an a/c requests start up or taxi clearance the following information shall be given:
Runway in use, Sfc wind, A/D QNH etc......

The only way of ensuring that you have the correct pressure setting is to read it back. You'd be surprised how many pilots read the wrong pressure back!! We also have to annotate our strips with the pressure setting that we have given you.

It also states in the MATS part two (The ATC Bible relevant to EGKK) that in accordance with MATS Pt1, the QNH must be passed to aircraft requesting start up clearance and that a readback is required by the pilot.

Hope this helps!!

Slick
14th Apr 2002, 18:31
Thanks very much, I think you have both more than cleared that up for me. It was a discussion point the other day during training.

Thankyou

Best Rgds